PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts 2000 pts

Deadseed
23-01-2007, 05:27
So I basically had my first game of warhammer against my friend, my Vampire Counts vs his Lizard Men.

I won, but now I want to win bigger :P

So here is a list that I just composed that I think should be effective.

----------

Master Necromancer (295)
-Level 4, Cloak of Mist and Shadows, Warrior Familiar

Necromancer (125)
-Level 2, Book of Arkhan

Necromancer (140)
-Level 2, Staff of Damnation

Wight Lord (128)
-Heavy Armour, Shield, Nightmare, Barding, Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood

25 Skeletons (265)
-Light Armour, Standard Bearer, Musician

25 Skeletons (265)

24 Skeletons (241)
-Spears, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion

5 Direwolves (50)

5 Direwolves (50)

7 Black Knights (260)
-Barding, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion, Banner of the Barrows

2 Banshees (180)

Total: 1999

-------------

The Master Necro will go with the spear skeletons with the guy with Staff of Damnation hanging around to give them some hitting power against stuff. I'm not too worried about him dying because my friend's Lord didn't use a magic weapon, and his mages had Heavens magic, which can't target a character in a unit, right?

My Wight Lord obviously goes into the unit of Black Knights.

His mages did annoy me, and my wolves (only had 5 of them that game) died in one turn of shooting from Skinks, but I'm hoping I can maneuver them better, keeping them in the back until skinks are maybe engaged then run them up to the mages.

One thing I liked was my Spirit Hosts in the other game held up his Stegadon quite nicely. Only thing was they couldn't hurt it at all, either the Stegadon being too tough if I attacked him or the Skink riders having a 2+ armour save. So this time I went with 2 Banshees hoping to scream that thing to death while still being able to hold it down. I can always use a Necro to restore the wound it'll take each turn from being outnumbered if it causes no wounds.

I'm willing to take any suggestions, though I won't be adding models in that I don't have. I don't really want to spend any more money, but here's a list of what off the top of my head I have...

2 boxes of Zombies...not many assembled though cause I hate the way the models look.
2 boxes of Empire or Brettonian Halberdiers that I bought, again not all assembled cause I'm lazy, that I will use as Grave Guard with Halberds one day
3 Spirit Hosts (home made again cause the models suck)
3 Strigoi Vampire models (used 2 against my friend the last game)
1 Lhamian Vampire
1 Necrarch Vampire
5 Fell Bat models (would use those in this army but I don't have the clear stands for them)
And a few more skeletons of each type

Deadseed
23-01-2007, 18:45
No suggestions? How about suggested tactics against Lizardmen?

dominic_carrillo
24-01-2007, 07:14
my suggestion against lizardmen is probably more big units that will stick around in combat. Maybe a Necrarch Vampire instead of a Master Necro. to help out with combat?

eleveninches
24-01-2007, 09:09
drop the master necro in favour of a thrall or a count. drop the wight lord and get either more skellies or preferably another lv2 necro with magic items

Deadseed
24-01-2007, 20:31
my suggestion against lizardmen is probably more big units that will stick around in combat. Maybe a Necrarch Vampire instead of a Master Necro. to help out with combat?

Well my friend informed me that for our next game he's gonna be going with much more magic to try to negate mine, and hiding his mages in Skink squads so they'll be hard to kill (apparently when they rank up for battle the mage doesn't have to be in the front rank?). So I might even change to something like Von Carstein (I forgot I have 2 models that can be used as them) and take Call Winds power to help against his many many poison shots.

dominic_carrillo
24-01-2007, 23:00
the skink priest has to be in the front rank if you charge the unit. take some ghouls to counter the skinks, they have T4 and skirmish so they will be hard to kill

Deadseed
25-01-2007, 06:43
Ok, I just played him and he had a very difficult army to beat.

He had a Slaan, with a retinue of about 35 guys, all with halberds with 2 attacks each, str and toughness 4, I don't know what they were called. And he had 3 mages. Also with a couple units of skinks, a unit of 3 acid spitter guys, and 3 of those guys with 3 wounds (sorry, I don't know the name of anything). He tried to shut down my magic phase. I was playing with the above army, minus the direwolves, and with a Von Carstein count with Aura of Dark Majesty, Ring of the Night, and the Sword of Unholy Power, and replacing the Wight Lord with a Necro with Cursed Book.

The first game he just decimated me cause I couldn't keep up with his magic and he rolled his Slaan and 2 mages having that Meteor spell from Heavens (he used all heavens). Basically that spell wiped out half my force including my necromancers before I even attacked him so I conceded.

The next game I won, but still took a lot of losses.

Any tips against something like this?

dominic_carrillo
25-01-2007, 21:00
my friend played the same unit with the slann. they are called temple gaurd. since they are not immune to psychology, you can outnumber and rout him if you win. my suggestion is to play a count, or vampire lord and him him with a fat unit of knights, while a unit of like five bats fly behind him and negate his ability to march and later when you charge, they can negate his ranks and get a rear charge. just make sure you outnumber him. My geuss is that the rest of his army is pretty small considering the cost of those temple gaurd.
just mob him all at once and you'll win combat. more magic defense is better against a slann, because he gets +1 to dispel and a ton of magic dice. your better off getting a tricked out count with the Cursed book to throw off his attacks. the way i see it, its better to have a level 3 necrarch vampire that can fight rather than a level 4 wizard who'll die if you breathe on him wrong.

dominic_carrillo
25-01-2007, 21:02
try like hell to get Gaze of Nagash. strength 4 hits work wonders

Deadseed
25-01-2007, 22:41
my friend played the same unit with the slann. they are called temple gaurd. since they are not immune to psychology, you can outnumber and rout him if you win. my suggestion is to play a count, or vampire lord and him him with a fat unit of knights, while a unit of like five bats fly behind him and negate his ability to march and later when you charge, they can negate his ranks and get a rear charge. just make sure you outnumber him. My geuss is that the rest of his army is pretty small considering the cost of those temple gaurd.
just mob him all at once and you'll win combat. more magic defense is better against a slann, because he gets +1 to dispel and a ton of magic dice. your better off getting a tricked out count with the Cursed book to throw off his attacks. the way i see it, its better to have a level 3 necrarch vampire that can fight rather than a level 4 wizard who'll die if you breathe on him wrong.

For some reason he was saying that the Temple Guard with the Slaan was unbreakable. The second game I only broke his Slaan when his temple guard were all dead.

And I've had such terrible luck with my Black Knights so far its gross. Roll so many 1's with them.

My Sword of Unholy Power helped in the magic phase once I got in combat, but getting there was a hell of a time, with comets and fork lightnings and what have you going every whichaway. I have to say I really hate Heavens magic.

dominic_carrillo
26-01-2007, 00:38
theyre not unbreakable
theyre just stubborn which is overridden by the rules for fear.
your friend is an ignorant cracker

Deadseed
26-01-2007, 03:43
Whoa, whoa, he may be ignorant, and he may be a cracker, but he certainly isn't...wait what was the third thing?

Seriously though, I'm new to playing Warhammer, my fear will still autobreak them if I outnumber?

Also, I was wondering if a Flying Circus army would do well against this type, just cause I could cream his mages with flying thralls and a flying count. MY only worry is this leaves me with a whopping 3 dispell dice for while I'm getting there.

dominic_carrillo
28-01-2007, 00:19
i think that the flying circus will work better. if you have alot of muscle flying around behind him. his magic missles will have to target your cheap skeletons and zombies. who gives a damn about them? you shouldnt. chances are that his slannn will have four spells, hell get off two or three a turn, and they will usually be the basic spells from the lores in the rule book, which arent especially powerful.
If you play two Thralls, A Count with Bat form and Curse of the Revenant, and a necromancer with two dispel scrolls, you should have enough to stop the few spells that will really hurt you. the rest of your army should be a ton of foot troops that can add numbers to the hitting power of the Vampires.

Deadseed
28-01-2007, 01:46
Well he actually takes Heavens Lore with his Slaan and all 3 mages he has. Also, we have so far been using 6th ed, since he doesn't have the 7th ed book yet, and I have no book. So yeah, his magic has been devastating to me.

I'm just hoping the Count and Thralls can take out some of his magic users. I was thinking of maybe just trying a Count and one Thrall though, so when I do take out the mages I can get some magic control back.

Although I think if I do use flying circus he will just stick his mages in Skink squads and make them harder to kill without losing my Thrall or maybe even Count.

dominic_carrillo
28-01-2007, 02:10
you should use the revised lores of magic in the 7th edition rulebook. Heavans was one lore that got toned waaaay down. i think there is only one spell that doesnt need line of sight.

Deadseed
28-01-2007, 07:27
I know, although that damn comet spell still doesn't need line of sight, and that's the one that decimated my army when he had 3 of his mages have them. But like you said he probably would only be able to cast it twice at most with the new power dice rules.

We just haven't played 7th rules yet cause neither of us wants to shell out the $75 for a rulebook quite yet.

I think next battle my friend is gonna use one of the army list variants in the back of the Lizardmen book with tons of Skinks, so maybe I should take a Von Carstein Count with Call Winds to make their shooting less painful.

Jack of Blades
28-01-2007, 20:51
So I basically had my first game of warhammer against my friend, my Vampire Counts vs his Lizard Men.

I won, but now I want to win bigger :P

So here is a list that I just composed that I think should be effective.

----------

Master Necromancer (295)
-Level 4, Cloak of Mist and Shadows, Warrior Familiar

* I like it.

Necromancer (125)
-Level 2, Book of Arkhan

* No further equipment?

Necromancer (140)
-Level 2, Staff of Damnation

* Same as above.

Wight Lord (128)
-Heavy Armour, Shield, Nightmare, Barding, Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood

* Ok.

25 Skeletons (265)

* Yes mama.

25 Skeletons (265)

* Yes papa.

24 Skeletons (241)
-Spears, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion

* NEVER EVER champions on skellies. Its just additional CR for your enemies.

5 Direwolves (50)

* Ok.

5 Direwolves (50)

* Ok.

7 Black Knights (260)
-Barding, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion, Banner of the Barrows

* :).

2 Banshees (180)

* Mmm, dead grannies that are angry cause you didnt be a good boy. Thumbs up.

Total: 1999

-------------

The Master Necro will go with the spear skeletons with the guy with Staff of Damnation hanging around to give them some hitting power against stuff. I'm not too worried about him dying because my friend's Lord didn't use a magic weapon, and his mages had Heavens magic, which can't target a character in a unit, right?

My Wight Lord obviously goes into the unit of Black Knights.

His mages did annoy me, and my wolves (only had 5 of them that game) died in one turn of shooting from Skinks, but I'm hoping I can maneuver them better, keeping them in the back until skinks are maybe engaged then run them up to the mages.

One thing I liked was my Spirit Hosts in the other game held up his Stegadon quite nicely. Only thing was they couldn't hurt it at all, either the Stegadon being too tough if I attacked him or the Skink riders having a 2+ armour save. So this time I went with 2 Banshees hoping to scream that thing to death while still being able to hold it down. I can always use a Necro to restore the wound it'll take each turn from being outnumbered if it causes no wounds.

I'm willing to take any suggestions, though I won't be adding models in that I don't have. I don't really want to spend any more money, but here's a list of what off the top of my head I have...

2 boxes of Zombies...not many assembled though cause I hate the way the models look.
2 boxes of Empire or Brettonian Halberdiers that I bought, again not all assembled cause I'm lazy, that I will use as Grave Guard with Halberds one day
3 Spirit Hosts (home made again cause the models suck)
3 Strigoi Vampire models (used 2 against my friend the last game)
1 Lhamian Vampire
1 Necrarch Vampire
5 Fell Bat models (would use those in this army but I don't have the clear stands for them)
And a few more skeletons of each type

You have quite a good army there. Good Luck with it :).

Deadseed
28-01-2007, 22:35
You have quite a good army there. Good Luck with it :).

Thanks. So what do you suggest adding to the Necromancer's equipment? The one has 25 points left and the other only 10, so he can't really take anything. I guess I could drop the champ on the skeletons and drop a couple skeletons in that unit too and add a dispell scroll or power stone.

dominic_carrillo
28-01-2007, 22:53
i try to take the Black Periapt in every game that i play, no matter what. every little bit helps in the magic phase.
i disagree about the skeleton champions, but if you need to try the fat, start with you cheap troops, i guess

tyrion11482
28-01-2007, 23:44
i would go necrarch vamp count and 3 lv2 necros
vamp count with noble blood , ring of the night book of archan 340

necro lv2 staff of damnation 140

necro lv 2 staff of flaming death 150

necro lv2 dispell scroll x 2 150

not to terribly many points and i would fill the rest with skeletons and zombies and do lots of flanking and such also watch out for the temple gaurd as they can have a magic fear banner

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 02:44
i only play master necromancers in 3000 pts because you need the fighting power of a good vampire in 2000 pts.
Necrarchs are good, they get +1 to cast and some nice abilities.

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 02:51
i would go necrarch vamp count and 3 lv2 necros
vamp count with noble blood , ring of the night book of archan 340

necro lv2 staff of damnation 140

necro lv 2 staff of flaming death 150

necro lv2 dispell scroll x 2 150

not to terribly many points and i would fill the rest with skeletons and zombies and do lots of flanking and such also watch out for the temple gaurd as they can have a magic fear banner

I certainly could do that, I have the models.

And I'm not too worried about a fear banner. Last time my friend played his temple guard as unbreakable, and I was able to kill them all and make the Slaan run (I got lucky with 10 of the guard, as I cast Curse of Years on the unit and he forgot to dispell it in his next magic phase :D).

tyrion11482
29-01-2007, 02:54
i only play master necromancers in 3000 pts because you need the fighting power of a good vampire in 2000 pts.

I couldnt agree more plus as stated above you get the vampire who is alot more sturdy and mobile. its a lil bit important in that army to have your general alive or at least undead instead of regular dead

the good old fashon vampire bound spell happiness

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 02:57

They do, I just find that I want to stack them with so many magic abilities I don't have room for protection items. With the Necro I can make him level 4 then spend all the 100 points on protection (Cloak of Mist and Shadows and Obsidian Amulet if I was really scared of him dying).

With the Necrarch you need the extra level, then another 70 points just to get the same amount of power dice as the Necro, then another 15 if I want as many spells too.

I do agree though that the added fighting skill would be good for the killing power.

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 03:07
if you play your necromancer properly, you wont have to spend a ton of points to stop him from dying. maybe a simple ward save (ring of the night) and the rest should be magic power ups and bound spell things.

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 04:07
So is it really worth the Necrarch then? If you're going for magic why not go all the way. You have to spend a lot more points to match the magic of a Master Necro, and while yes the Necrarch is str tough 5, he has one more weapon skill of an elf spearman.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, you're probably a lot more experienced than me, I just want to hear opinions as to why it's better.

Tyrion (George RR Martin reference? nice) says mobility and sturdiness, though I say that a Necrarch will always be put in a unit, so will only be as fast as that unit, and a Necromancer with the Cloak is much more survivable. I could be wrong though, I haven't played a lot of games and only against one person/army.

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 04:57
the important thing is that your units can march and thenecrarch count can actually fight. your list without one has no real muscle at all

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 05:18
Ok. Would you outfit him the same way as Tyrion?

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 05:27
yeah, with maybe a sword of striking

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 22:17
Oh yeah, that would help his combat out. For some reason it never even occured to me to even think of giving a Necrarch a weapon.

Kahadras
29-01-2007, 22:31
I've always found playing a Lizardman army an uphill struggle with Undead. My main gripe is the fact that Lizardmen have advantages in the areas that the Undead really want to excel in.

Magic is a good example of this. VC really like to dominate the magic phase but the Slann can quickly put an end to this. The fact that Lizardmen are also cold blooded reduces the effectiveness of fear and terror. The Lizardmen are also faster than you and hit harder in close combat.

I've never had much success so good luck with comming up with some ideas.

Kahadras

Deadseed
29-01-2007, 23:13
Well the good thing with his Slaan is he went all out with it, second geration. Yes it means it's an uber god in magic, but he had like 4 other units, no cavalry, just those T3 guys. So I really only had to focus on the Slaan.

tyrion11482
30-01-2007, 01:08
yeah hell be ok with the ring of the night i would give him noble blood for sure then you have 25 pts left

Deadseed
30-01-2007, 01:59
Uh oh, that's not enough to add the Sword of Striking.

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 02:00
maybe another one of the magic swords. there is one that is like 10 points

tyrion11482
30-01-2007, 03:24
Uh oh, that's not enough to add the Sword of Striking.

i would get some magic boosting thingy maybe a bloodline power 4 str 5 attacks is usually enough to add some punch

Deadseed
30-01-2007, 04:15
I could fit the Biting Blade (meh, that's not gonna help much) or the Sword of Might (str 6 attacks are better than str 5....and basically has a built in Biting Blade).

Or yeah, could just stick with the Necrarch's measly WS and add to his real strongpoint.

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 08:40
if your playing against skinks, then invest in large blocks of infantry so the ubiquitous blow piping isnt a big problem.
get a second banshee and go skink hunting if they are a problem. they are easily spooked

Deadseed
30-01-2007, 21:36
I have 2 banshees in that list. I love them.

Other than what to put in the army do you guys have any tactical advice?

Like should I hang back with my knights until the big blocks are engaged then go for a flank charge? Same with the wolves?

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 03:03
make sure your characters are in your units.
i had to have my necromancers hit with lightning and a ******** comet to learn that lesson

tyrion11482
31-01-2007, 03:07
make sure your characters are in your units.
i had to have my necromancers hit with lightning and a ******** comet to learn that lesson

i couldnt agree more on this one being alone vs lizards is bad. try to have more units than him so that you can properly place the banshees. rember also that they can shoot into combat so just keep them out of the skink mages line of sight and youll be ok. as they have no unit they can join they will get bolted fast if he can[dice0]

and 3 dice can bolt a banshee no prob so watch out for it or just dispell scroll it or something

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 03:10
poison kills me when i play lizards. since they made undead able to be poisoned those skinks have a field day shooting my black coach.

Deadseed
31-01-2007, 04:07
I really only have 3 big units. I could make another one, but I don't want to spend the money right now on my skeletons or zombies. Should I place more than one necromancer in one unit?

Also, for the necromancers anyways, what do I do when combat is about to happen? Make them leave the unit?

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 04:18
i usually decline challenges and bail out through the back of the unit when it looks like trouble.

vorac
31-01-2007, 04:31
if your playing 6th edition and you wanna win with magic against lizzies then take as much offensive magic as possible. A necrarch count with noble blood,dark acolyte,forbiddenlore and spell familiar, 2 necros with the book,power familiar and 3 dispel scrolls. Take a unit of graveguard with halberds and the banner to protect the vampire and head straight for the slann unit. every thing else is for killing skinks like banshees,skellies,fellbats. in magic 2 of your necros should choose death magic so you can automatically get magic missles with should concentrate on the skinks to get the priests fleeing.

Deadseed
31-01-2007, 05:25
Why not a third necro?

eleveninches
31-01-2007, 11:58
if you are able to, the cloak of mist and shadows works well with a necro as long as he is not the only spellcaster, as you want the other necros to have spell-based items. I ususlly deploy my skellies in front of my necros. So the necros are protected to the front by the skellies, to onje side by the table edge and to the other side by th eetheral necro who is much more difficult to kill

Vladimir Deathblade
31-01-2007, 16:55
I se one major problem with your list: Light armour on the skellies. For two points it really isn't worth it. Much better to have a load more infantry!

I personaly play Blood Dragons, as I like the toe to toe killyness of those beuties, but thats personal choice. Other than that, take a few more fast things. Fell bats work woonders, and are much better value than bat swarms. Get them round the flanks (preferably using terrain to protect from shooting and magic) and charge them in allong side another unit.

Also, if I remember right, the leadership of those skinks is nice and low, perfect for the odd banshi. They won't get their three dice, as they don't have to take a leadership test.

A few dire woves may also be of use for flank charges, but are not essential.

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 20:59
yeah lose the light armor. nobody cares about skeletons (or at least noone should).

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 21:00
lose the light armor and its 100 more points for zombies!!!!

Deadseed
31-01-2007, 21:52
Well my skeletons with light armour all have mixed bits from Empire spearmen. I bought 2 boxes of skeletons, 2 boxes of spearmen, and mixed and matched legs and torsos. So if I played with these guys in a GW store could they legally count as not having light armour?

Also, I don't really have a lot of zombie models. I just bought some for summoning for flank/rear charges. I really hate the models. And at this point I have no more money to spend on getting some.

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 01:40
i think WYSIWYG goes for what the unit has, not for what they dont have.
if that makes any sense.
you could just say that the armor is just corroded and useless.

Deadseed
01-02-2007, 03:44
Hmmm, I just know I usually make a few saves on my skeletons in combat...so technically if I make 2 saves on my skeletons armour then thats really 4 skeletons I save, the 2 that saved and the 2 that would have died due to the increased combat resolution (if I lose combat that is).

I know it's more points, but it isn't worth it at all?

tyrion11482
01-02-2007, 04:16
i never even used skelies, there almost as good as zombies and the zombies are cheaper and have a better max unit size ws2 str and t 3 on both so a sheild isnt reallya big deal plus they are easier to raise

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 07:42
i never even used skelies, there almost as good as zombies and the zombies are cheaper and have a better max unit size ws2 str and t 3 on both so a sheild isnt reallya big deal plus they are easier to raise

i agree, i start with zombies and raise skeletons later

eleveninches
01-02-2007, 11:08
i would advise to have spears for your skellys, as then, any units that are raised can also have them for free.

tyrion11482
01-02-2007, 17:46
i would advise to have spears for your skellys, as then, any units that are raised can also have them for free.

Thats not a bad idea either.

CarlostheCraven
01-02-2007, 19:42
Hi

The advice you have been getting is poor.

I would advise starting with well-equipped skeletons and then raising zombies that cannot have upgrades. As you mentioned, each save you make effectively saves two sketelons.

There are two things you need in combat - a vampire to get your kills in, and you must do your best to minimize your losses - IE armour saves. If you win by one, the fear effect will quite often give you a near autobreak, but first you need to win.

Zombies cannot be upgraded, so raising new units of them or adding to existing units makes no difference for their quality level (not to mention the +1-3 you get per raise spell used). Skeletons, on the other hand, can be far more effective if you start with them on the table.

@Dominic - how exactly do you decline challenges and leave through the back? unless you are talking about skaven?

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 20:18
if you decline a challenge, you move to the back rank and you dont fight. also, i leave through the back of the unit before i get charged, since heroes and lords can march on their own.

Deadseed
01-02-2007, 22:05
I'm afraid my thinking is closer to Carlos. Zombies I like to leave for raising while prebuilt units are decked out so you get more bang for your magical buck.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Hvidponi
01-02-2007, 22:27
With that much magic, I would down the skellie units (boost them up with magic)... But that is just me... I would also use Grave Guards with helbards and the Banner of always hits on 3+... that would mean you hit on 3+ and wound on 3+, pretty soild, but that is probably just me in love with grave guards. The Wight lord is the ulitmate char killer and keep him... I normally make a unit of 10 skellies and boost them up with magic...

Deadseed
01-02-2007, 22:33
Grave Guard I should try. Just gotta get them all assembled at least. And the luck I've been having with my knights (never seen so many 1s on armour saves) makes me want to see if these guys hold up better.

dominic_carrillo
02-02-2007, 00:12
Wight lord: Gem of Blood, Sword of the Kings. wouldnt you agree Hvidponi?

Deadseed
02-02-2007, 00:20
That's what I had in my original army but people were saying to switch to a Necrarch and 3 Necros.

Are you saying Necrarch, 2 Necromancers, and a Wight? Or the Master Necro instead?

dominic_carrillo
02-02-2007, 00:22
go with the vampire, 2 wizards and the wight. thats what i play

Deadseed
02-02-2007, 00:27
Is he in a unit of BK or GG?

dominic_carrillo
02-02-2007, 03:13
I put the vampire in the zombie unit actually. the grave gaurd is relatively small and has the wight lord leading it.
the black knights are on the flanks.

tyrion11482
02-02-2007, 03:36
well here is another idea if you want to just win the guys i have played with it call it Chaos undead. your heros dont matter 2 units of 20+ grave gaurd 2 units of 12+ black knights your core units are 3 units of 5 wolves.

all str 4 T 4 warriors all with killing blow

my chars are a vampire lord blood dragon
wight lord
neco lv2 scroll caddy

dominic_carrillo
02-02-2007, 05:22
well here is another idea if you want to just win the guys i have played with it call it Chaos undead. your heros dont matter 2 units of 20+ grave gaurd 2 units of 12+ black knights your core units are 3 units of 5 wolves.

all str 4 T 4 warriors all with killing blow

my chars are a vampire lord blood dragon
wight lord
neco lv2 scroll caddy

yeah but, dont you want to have fun??

Deadseed
02-02-2007, 07:56
I put the vampire in the zombie unit actually. the grave gaurd is relatively small and has the wight lord leading it.
the black knights are on the flanks.

I meant the Wight Lord, but yeah, that answers my question, thanks. Obviously you put the Banner of the Barrows with the GG, yeah?

CarlostheCraven
02-02-2007, 15:35
Dominic - you do realise your opponent chooses who goes to the rear when you decline a challenge? Which usually means the vampire or unit champ goes to the back, not the squishy necro. Of course, if your opponent is dumb enough to challenge and you only have the necro, well then, good work with the hiding at the back.

You clarified the second part nicely, your original post sounded like you exited after being engaged, rather than bailing out beforehand.

On Topic -
While the banner of the barrows is fantastic, if I am designing an all around tournament list, I tend to roll with the 5+ Ward Save Vs Ranged attacks banner (I cannot recall the name, atm). I find it can help out big time against both shooty and magic heavy opponents. This is a solid choice against just about any generic army format, other than Khornate Chaos,

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

Hvidponi
02-02-2007, 19:18
Wight lord: Gem of Blood, Sword of the Kings. wouldnt you agree Hvidponi?

Extremly powerful char killer and yes, used it many time ;)
Use the Necarach Count in a skeltons or zombie unit... He can fight and got loads of statics/shields.
Necarach (cant rember the right spelling) count, 2 necros and a wight lord... Good high magic combo...

dominic_carrillo
02-02-2007, 21:22
On Topic -
While the banner of the barrows is fantastic, if I am designing an all around tournament list, I tend to roll with the 5+ Ward Save Vs Ranged attacks banner (I cannot recall the name, atm). I find it can help out big time against both shooty and magic heavy opponents. This is a solid choice against just about any generic army format, other than Khornate Chaos,

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

i agree. the ward save is better. most opponents will say "Oh snap!" and shoot at your elite infantry. the biggest challenge for me when i play GG is keeping them alive as they trundle across the field to split heads.