PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitors

Kiro
15-07-2005, 21:20
I've always wondered something about the Inquisition: where do they get their fresh blood from? How do they become sanctioned?
I mean, I can't imagine that there is some sort of Inquisition school out there that trains up new Inquisitors and hands out certificates, so I imagine the system must be something along the lines of "official" Inquisitors training up people they bump into that show a lot of potential. I might have just answered my own question, but I haven't got all the idea ironed out.
Any ideas people?

El_Machinae
15-07-2005, 21:29
I'm pretty sure that there are schools. Since people can live so long (or short!) in 40k, I'd expect that some inquisitors sponsor their retainers for the schools - years later, an inquisitor will come out.

As well, I'd expect that prominent people try to get their offspring into the schools (for donations or whatever), this sounds a bit corrupt, but that's 40k for you.

Certain planets might even have personality tests that they give out in schools. And there would be a select group of people that would qualify from that route.

Talkie Toaster
15-07-2005, 21:49
It's sort of covered in the Schola Progenium thread. Inquisitors are often chosen from amongst the orphans, so they have no ties to family, planet or anythin else other than the system they serve in.

TheSonOfAbbadon
15-07-2005, 21:51
I think Kiro is right with the "You show alot of potential, wanna be an inquisitor?" line of thought. Acolytes are Inquisitors in training. Inquisitors are, well Inquisitors. And Inquisitor Lords are higher up Inquisitors.

Khaine's Messenger
15-07-2005, 22:09
I've always wondered something about the Inquisition: where do they get their fresh blood from? How do they become sanctioned?

Many ways. Personal apprenticeships, moving up through the Schola Progenium or Scholastica Psykana and getting scalped for the Inquisition by the Inquisitorial agents that monitor/hang around with those organizations....or just getting a rosette from out of the blue (a lot like a wizard's staff on Discworld). But mind you, this was before rosettes were portable hologram projectors that contained all the Inquisitor's personal data, iirc, so that last one probably wouldn't really work all that well these days, or if anyone tried it, they'd better hope they have a good cosmetic surgeon or a skilled techpriest on hand....

And of course the method in which one becomes an Inquisitor will probably depend heavily on where you are in the galaxy. More heavily-settled regions probably have more formal Inquisitorial presence and therefore more active programs for churning out Inquisitors (even if not Inquisitors "recruited" from that region of space).

But no matter how you become an Inquisitor (or an Explicator/Interrogator), there are courses, conclaves, etc. you can attend (rather like business fairs :) )...I believe one such a meeting is described in the opening of the Daemonhunters codex.

Talkie Toaster
15-07-2005, 22:14
But no matter how you become an Inquisitor (or an Explicator/Interrogator), there are courses, conclaves, etc. you can attend (rather like business fairs :) )...I believe one such a meeting is described in the opening of the Daemonhunters codex.
"And speaking in conference hall 3 at 1:20pm is Inquisitor Eisenhorn, giving a lecture on 'Using Daemonhosts to increase efficiency rates', shortly followed by Inquisitor Tyrus at 1:25pm with 'Top Tips on pursuing radical scum'. A full salad bar will be provided."
Is the fluff available at Critical Hit, since it sounds pretty interesting?

El_Machinae
15-07-2005, 22:34
But no matter how you become an Inquisitor (or an Explicator/Interrogator), there are courses, conclaves, etc. you can attend (rather like business fairs :) ).

But the loyalty and resistence testing (shudders), that's the part that wouldn't be so much fun.

Course: Demon classification 101
Prereq: Candidate must successfully resist seduction while under the effects of various hallucinogens and sleep deprivation for 2 weeks.

Minister
16-07-2005, 12:52
It should also be noted that an Inquisitor may sponsor any Imperial citizen for the acceptance trials for the post of Interogator, and that most will make it a point to direct youngsters who show suficient promise to the training institutions.

Jaq Draco
16-07-2005, 13:16
If the early fluff for the new inquistors GW wrote up

it was sometimes the acolytes who showed the most promise, that could be trained up to become inquisitors

so if you wanna be one, be a meat shield for another inquisitor first

ohh yeah and be sadistic too

because it was usually the interrogators and all those other pain givers that got upped so to speak

Brusilov
16-07-2005, 22:20
Here is a rough idea of how one might climb up to become an Inquisitor:
1) get enrolled by another Inquisitor (not an easy feat all by itself)
2) serve your master well and show you ability at investigation and interrogation
3) get promoted to Explicator, you'll get to interrogate (read torture) people for information
4) get promoted to Interrogator, you're the Inquisitor's right hand man now. You're still expected to get shot in his place, but you've a lot of power on your own. Your master may delegate important tasks to you
5) get promoted to Inquisitor (this is the most difficult to determine as you need to be sanctioned by the organisation in some way if you want to get your Rosette)

Another place where potential Inquisitors are sought are the Blackships, to get trainees with psychic potential.

Kiro
16-07-2005, 22:25
Brusilov, what about "raw material"? I see you've covered advancement sufficiently, but what about taking that first step onto the ladder?

What's a rosette? :confused:

Delicious Soy
17-07-2005, 03:12
Rosettes are the badge of office of the inquisition, sort of like FBI badges, if an FBI badge carried important biological identifiers and code breakers.

I'd say there are several methods of recruitment, there are undoubtedly Inquisitorial 'prep schools' which teach young initiates and prepare them before seconded to their new masters, this would be especially important in the case of psychic ones who would probably remain under the tutalage of the Scholastica Psykana in normal circumstances.

Another method would be the taking of an apprentice by an inquisitor which would then be subject to approval from other inquisitors.

I think a lot of this, as per usual when discussing the inquisition, depends on what view you take on its level of organisation. Given the official evidence combined with books like Eisenhorn, I think that the Inquisition does have a structure of accountability based on subsector, sector and segmentum ordos. Inqusitors can operate outside this system (like Quixos and Tyrus for example) but they will have to go back if they wish to promote an Interegator to the rank of Inquisitor.

Xhalax
17-07-2005, 03:21
Although it does make me wonder if any Inquisitors ever have families?

And if they do, would they get 'enrole' their children into becoming an Inquisitor?

Kiro
17-07-2005, 03:51
Rosettes are the badge of office of the inquisition, sort of like FBI badges, if an FBI badge carried important biological identifiers and code breakers.

What happend to the plain old seal with an =I= symbol on it?

orangesm
17-07-2005, 04:38
A Rosette is a badge of office... the seal with the =I= on it.

Inquisitor Samos
17-07-2005, 05:00
"Rosette" is a formal term for the badge of office. The term can mean a round-ish badge or brooch-like item, often with a repeating pattern of petal-like or ray-like structures radiating out from the center, with a symbol or symbols overlain on it in the case of the Inquisitorial rosette, or it can simply mean a symbol of office of any type, in less rigorous usage.

(My avatar is an Inquisitorial rosette, btw.)

A "seal" might mean the same thing, or it might be the item an Inquisitor uses to place a wax seal on his/her missives, cartas, and so forth, or it might be the Inquisitor's signet ring, used as a combination of the aforementioned two items.

As far as how "new blood" gets into the Inquisition, there are many paths. Some are found who have special psychic talents and become transferred to the Inquisition; some young persons are found in the Schola who have the correct mental fortitude coupled with the correct amount of curiosity (remember, most Imperial Humans in the 41st Millenium are encouraged to follow instructions and do things by rote, not think analytically about them); some are discovered by being fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have been involved in an event involving Inquisition field action, and having done something noteworthy (such as managing to survive whatever situation it was that the Inquisition was there to deal with, possibly).

All of them have in common, however, the fact that one must somehow catch an Inquisitor's eye and impress him/her to get sponsored into "the program" in the first place!

Apollyon
18-07-2005, 15:23
I also think the Inquisition "creates" some inquisitors as in Deamonafuge there are several space marine sized inquisitors so they would have to be "marineifed" some how .

Sai-Lauren
18-07-2005, 16:15
I also think the Inquisition "creates" some inquisitors as in Deamonafuge there are several space marine sized inquisitors so they would have to be "marineifed" some how .
Just the one, in that story anyway.

But it would make sense for the Inquisition to keep an eye on the various marine chapters, they do the same for the assassins after all.

As for how new candidate-inquisitors are chosen, it's probably down to everything from crunching population data on civilised worlds to narrow down likely recruits to picking out those who've performed from great service to the imperium. Then they'd be screened for potential heresy, initiated, trained and sent to an inquisitor to act as their acolyte and to learn - the inquisitor will eventually apply to have the acolyte made a full inquisitor once they feel they're ready.
I would imagine that Inquisitors are advised, if not told outright, not to have families or form emotional ties beyond working relationships - that way lies the potential for heresy at worst, or blackmail at the very least.

Of course, the older an inquisitor gets, the more chances they have to see loopholes and exceptions in the inquisitions rules, until they become closer to guidelines as far as they're concerned.
Radicalism is one final tiny step after so many other tiny steps. :D