PDA

View Full Version : Lord on Dragon setup (chaos)

eldarlordx
23-01-2007, 22:01
As some of you know i've just started chaos, and am looking for the best setup for my lord on dragon for a charecter battle. I was thinking daemon sword and mark of khorne, but i'm not sure. Any help apperciated.

sulla
24-01-2007, 05:09
Dragon rider in a chaos army? Interesting...

Some of the more obvious choices are berzerker sword (all those extra attacks due to the dragon's huge base) or hellfire sword or rending sword(if you want to hunt other big scary monsters).

But to be perfectly honest, magic weapons on a chaos lord are not great value. He's so good without one that you would probably be better off investing in protection since you are making your lord into a large target. Things like the crown of everlasting conquest (regeneration), Gaze of the gods (cheap but dangerous 4+ ward save) or, if you're playing Tzeench, the must have Golden eye (3+ ward for the lore and his dragon vs shooting and magic missiles. Just use a halberd for additional cc power or if you want a shield (or magic shield) then the sword of might for extra can opening power.

To be perfectly honest though, a chaos lord on a dragon is a fairly hard unit to get the most out of. It is so devilishly hard that it will attract ridiculous amounts of firepower from many armies and could well struggle vs horde armies to find targets worthy of fighting. It also takes your general's Ld away from the centre of your lines. Also, I would never consider a Korne lord on a dragon.
If my DE ever saw a khorne lord on a dragon... well, lets just say your 700pt monstrosity would probably spend most of the battle frenziedly chasing horses round in a circle or hunting shades in a forest... he'd probably never make it to my actual battle lines. It's ridiculously easy to bait a frenzied large flyer.
So don't go into it thinking that chucking the hardest fighter in the chaos army on the hardes monster he can find neccessarily makes the hardest unit in the chaos list. It's quite the opposite in some ways.
However, if you want one for character and a challenge, by all means take one (even a khorne lord if you wish). But go into it with your eyes wide open. You will need new tactics, and you will probably need to modify your standard army to better support your dragon rider. It will play very differently to a standard chaos army.

Sulla.

Neknoh
24-01-2007, 07:54
Remember, a khornate Lord on a dragon can charge past intervening units since he is a Large Target and has Flying, so, you would, in that case, have to present him with only a single target, meaning he'd effectively close off a huge area of your playingfield Sulla

Hywel
24-01-2007, 16:02
Doesn't really matter how you equip him, he's a chaos lord on a dragon.

He'll cause damage whether he's carrying a daemon sword or a dishcloth.

sulla
24-01-2007, 18:06
Remember, a khornate Lord on a dragon can charge past intervening units since he is a Large Target and has Flying, so, you would, in that case, have to present him with only a single target, meaning he'd effectively close off a huge area of your playingfield Sulla

With scouts and only slightly cunning terrain setup, he could be in the forest by the end of his first turn. It's that ability to see over intervening units that's the problem. He can't be screened by friendly troops (except shaggoths and giants) so unless you set him up facing backwards, he may be subject to compulsory charge from the first turn. Or a charge into a unit of cheap bait like an eagle to turn him away (or drag him off the table with compulsory overrun)from your ranks and shut down his area of influence for 2 turns. Not saying he can't work, just that he is the hardest dragon rider to get the most out of because he is not totally under your control.