PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on transporting Tau

GrimWulf
23-01-2007, 21:16
I'm looking at picking up the Army Transport - Battalion carrying case for my Tau, and judging by size will most likely be able to put at least a decent amount of my Space Wolves into it also.

This is the case if you're not familiar with it:
http://www.boardgames.ca/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14509

Now, my Tau list isn't complete yet, so my questions are somewhat falling into the hypothetical at this point.

The case comes sans foam to start and I have 20" of layers to fill up. The layers come in 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", and 4". For each layer there's also a 1/4 layer of supporting foam.

So the jist of this whole post I guess, is in which foams layers should I be picking up.

I don't currently have any piranha, but do have several on order, so I'm not sure of the exact proportions of them, so any input on physical dimensions of the piranha would be helpful. :) Is there a significant height difference compared to the devilfish chassis?

Would you recomend laying battlesuits down flat? or having a taller foam and having them stand up?

I'll also have 5 devilfish body'd vehicles, (2 hammer heads, 2 devilfish's 1 skyray/devilfish) the turrets on all of these are not fixed so they're only as tall as the top of the vehicles. Would I need more then 1 tray? How many do you think I could fit per tray?

Total Models to be transported (Tau only)
6 Battle Suits
3 Broadsides
6 Stealthsuits
45 Fire Warriors
10 Pathfinders
20 Gun/Shield/Marker Drones
3 Piranha
5 Devilfish

Gutlord Grom
23-01-2007, 21:22
I'm not sure of this, but I think the Devilfish and Hamerheads are about as tall as Land Raider.

You can usually fit 9 infantry of standard size in one layer.

GrimWulf
23-01-2007, 21:45
Only 9 Infantry per layer? That seems to be an awful low number, I'm pretty sure the case is bigger then that, if not there's no way I'll be spending that amount of money on this thing.

As for the devilfish height, if you have the flying stand on it, then I'd say it's about LR height, otherwise, from memory it's surely shorter.

Culven
23-01-2007, 21:49
I have both Tau and an Army Transport, and I like both, but I haven't tried to fit the Tau into the Army Transport layers, so take my advice for what you will.

You should be able to fit about 30 Infantry or Drones on each 1" layer (removing a 1" by 1,5" section for each model. This give you about three 1" trays for a total of 3,75" of depth. The old Stealth Suits would fit the 1" layer, the new models may need to be on 2" layers with the Crisis Suits and Broadsides.

The Devilfish Chassis is about 2,5" high, and you may be able to get two per layer (I fit three Rhinos per layer). Assume three 3" layers for the Tanks for 9,75" of depth.

The Battlesuits will most likely fit in 2" trays, laying on their sides or backs. You may be able to fit all 15 Suits in one tray, but I suggest using 2. 4,5"

The Piranha, I can't really help with. I have never seen the actual model, though, I would guess that they could fit in 2" trays. You may be able to get 4 of them on one tray. 2,25"

This gives you 20,25", but the foam will compress to fit.

As for the Army Transport, I think it is one of the best cases available for miniatures. Each layer is precut into 1/2" squares which allows for versatility when transoprting converted/irregular models. It is IMHO well worth the money. I currentll own two and I would like two or three more for my other armies.

I hope this helps.

GrimWulf
23-01-2007, 22:05
<snipped advice>

As for the Army Transport, I think it is one of the best cases available for miniatures. Each layer is precut into 1/2" squares which allows for versatility when transoprting converted/irregular models. It is IMHO well worth the money. I currentll own two and I would like two or three more for my other armies.

I hope this helps.

Helps tremendously Culven, much appreciated!

What would be your thoughts on if I removed the engines from the Devilfish's? That would help on their width, and maybe allow me to have the three per layer?

Culven
23-01-2007, 22:13
Helps tremendously Culven, much appreciated!

What would be your thoughts on if I removed the engines from the Devilfish's? That would help on their width, and maybe allow me to have the three per layer?

I don't think it will help, but it might. You would still need to deal with the Gun Drone mounts. Perhaps is you alternate the direction of each Devilfish, two pointing towards one long edge of the tray and one between them facing the opposite long edge so that the model "interlock"? Maybe even put the center model in top down?

With the three Rhinos, I only have 1" of foam between them and 1" at each end. I just don't think that three Devilfish will fit.

I will try to play with my Devilfish and Army Transport tonight, and I will post tomorrow with my results.

GrimWulf
23-01-2007, 22:15
Thanks again Culven! Now just basically need confirmation on the Piranha size and I'll place my order.

chaos0xomega
23-01-2007, 22:57
I can fit two devilfish chassis in a 2.5inch thick insert, however this can only be done if there arent a bunch of arials and whatnot at the top.

I can fit a ton of drones(more than 30 I am sure) in a completely hollowed out 2.5 inch foam section(on bases).

Gutlord Grom
23-01-2007, 23:55
Only 9 Infantry per layer? That seems to be an awful low number, I'm pretty sure the case is bigger then that, if not there's no way I'll be spending that amount of money on this thing.

As for the devilfish height, if you have the flying stand on it, then I'd say it's about LR height, otherwise, from memory it's surely shorter.

No, stupid, stupid Grom, I meant nine per row in one imfantry layer

ImBiginKorea
24-01-2007, 03:27
You really can just break down a be cheap. I keep the majority of my tau force in a tackle box (Fishing), I got it at Wal-mart and it has a 3 trays of plastic compartments and a upper flip up top. That carries: 36 Firewarriors, 30 kroot, 6 stealth suits, 2 pirahnas, 6 battlesuits, 2 broadsides, 6 kroot hounds, 8 man pathfinder team, 2 sniper drone squads and a whole lot of drones (10-15ish).
Just put the plastic inserts where you need them and coat the bottom with foam.

For the vehicles I bought a plastic tool box from lowes for 5 dollars, and lined the entire thing with foam (bottom and sides) It can hold about 6 devilfishes and odd and ends.

If you want to drop the money you can get a nice big squishy transport. But if you want to be cheap just pick up a tackle & tool box. I'm a strong believer that the models do not need to be surrounded by foam.

--Korea

GrimWulf
24-01-2007, 04:06
ImBiginKorea: Yeah that's how I've carried my Wolves around for the longest of times, and I've noticed that even though I have foam in the inserts and such that their paint jobs invariably end up getting chipped or arms get knocked off, etc.

So in that regard I'm looking for something that'll immobilize my Tau a bit better.

GrimWulf
28-01-2007, 16:03
FYI for anyone else looking to go this way as far as options.
The Devilfish chassis will fit into the 2.5" Foam if it doesn't have a turret or tall aerials in place as stated by chaos0xomega.
The Piranha's do indeed fit onto a 2" foam with just a little bit of clearance over the pilot's heads.
Battlesuits will fit onto 2" trays if they are in a static position standing straight up with arms at side, and no weapons glued in place. For any suits in a dynamic pose I would suggest the 2.5"/3" foams and have them standing upright.
XV-88's can sit on their side on a 2" foam with a very little bit of the model sticking out, easily protected by the foam still.

bladestalker
30-03-2007, 15:09
you could always look at one of our skimrishpacks. or a battlepack. vehicles of any type can be held by the clamp and the slotafaom is fine for infantry. crissis suits and broadsides are best in light and heavy cavalry trays.