PDA

View Full Version : In need of modelling suggestions.

Infiltraitor
24-01-2007, 01:14
I currently play LaTD with Alpha Legion allies (I also have a full Alpha Legion list), and I would like to start fielding Raptors. I'm trying to stay close to the fluff of the Legion and as Raptors are essentially jump marines, warped from their stay in the Eye, it didn't seem to fit. The prospect of fielding loyalist marine models seemed like a bit of a cop out.

Might anyone have a suggestion as to what would still retain the Chaos feel and fit the fluff? Thanks in advance.

Ko Improbable
24-01-2007, 14:39
I currently play LaTD with Alpha Legion allies (I also have a full Alpha Legion list), and I would like to start fielding Raptors. I'm trying to stay close to the fluff of the Legion and as Raptors are essentially jump marines, warped from their stay in the Eye, it didn't seem to fit. The prospect of fielding loyalist marine models seemed like a bit of a cop out.

Might anyone have a suggestion as to what would still retain the Chaos feel and fit the fluff? Thanks in advance.

Well, as I understand it, Raptors are closer to mercenaries than members of their former legion; more loyal to the Raptor Cult than to anyone/anything else.
So, you might have them in a different color scheme (like that "standard" bronze color) than any other Choas Marines in the army, and think of them as mercs rather than Alpha Legionaires.

Apologist
24-01-2007, 14:41
I'm a little confused. I assume you don't want to use the standard raptor models? What exactly is it that you're asking?

Infiltraitor
24-01-2007, 14:56
Not a fan of the current raptor models, too heavy for my liking and they tend to tip over. I like the way the helmets look, but the legs/lower bodies really don't appeal to me. I'm looking for suggestions for conversions, preferably mostly plastic.

Sai-Lauren
24-01-2007, 15:13
Mutated to have wings - maybe they're starting to turn into Furies or something similar (giving them bird of prey (Raptor ;) ) talons rather than feet)?

Brettonian Pegasi are plastic, although they're feathered, and I can't think of any small bat/pterasaur/daemonic wings in plastic.

Karhedron
24-01-2007, 19:16
If you want something plainer, you could always use a mix of plastic assault Marines with parts from assorted Chaos sprues.

Clang
24-01-2007, 20:05
I made my Raptors using Imperial jumppacks (with chaos symbols and bling added) and Khorn Berzerkers (with all Khorne symbols removed, and non-Khorne heads) - looks pretty good.

Other options would be wings (although GW don't make any the right size - Pegasus wings would probably be overkill on anything smaller than a Demon Prince) or some sort of anti-gravity (flying surfboards etc)

Huw_Dawson
24-01-2007, 20:19
Forge World makes leathery wings for tyranid warriors... their probably the most accurate scale wise. Good luck with the conversions. :p

- Huw

Ko Improbable
25-01-2007, 17:37
I made my Raptors using Imperial jumppacks (with chaos symbols and bling added) and Khorn Berzerkers

I did almost exactly the same thing, but then I decided to make those Chosen and bought some proper Raptor models, because I do like the models and have ways of at least somewhat counterbalancing them. To make the jetpacks more "Chaosy" I glued on a few spikey bits from the Dark Eldar sprues I got with my 3rd Edition boxed set. If I was better with greenstuff, I'd make the intakes look like screaming or moaning faces. But, I'm not.

thundercracker
26-01-2007, 00:49
try using regular marines and if you can find the old turbofan jump backs and then even harder too find find some night lords shoulder pads and bat heads for the raptures, Since your using them as Alpha legion you want to stick close too IMperial armor as you can with little chaos marking on them, Ive done a whole NIght lords Armor that way looks pretty nice

Lord Balian
26-01-2007, 14:57
As some have suggested, get some of the normal space marine jump marines, but buy some kind of wings as bits and use those instead of the packs. Can also throw on an arm here and there from the chaos mutation sprue.
I also don't care for the raptor models. In my black legion army I'm using the older raptors that have wings instead of packs. They at least look cooler. :)

Edit: if you have the resources, use all beaky helpmets on the, you know as raptor beaks. LOL