PDA

View Full Version : Priest Warband

Red_Lep
24-01-2007, 02:48
Would this work very well? Advice and tactics?

Heroes- 143

Warrior Priest- 143 (goes in Flagellants)
~Two-Handed Hammer
~Heavy Armour
~Holy Relic
.................................................. ..............................
Core- 340

Huntsmen(10)- 100 (anti-warmachine/wizards)
~Scout

2x Militia(10)- 50 (protect Flagellants flanks)
Flagellant(14)- 140
.................................................. ..............................
Total- 483

Whats the bare minimum on number of cannons? Also, I was wanting to make an army based around the thought of a religious fanatics army. What background can I say for the non-flagellant units? Since I was thinking of only having adding Archers, Free Company, and Pistoliers would saying that the core where peasants inspired by the Priests to goin the ranks and Pistoliers where there to prove themselves ready for the Knightly Order?

Makarion
24-01-2007, 08:49
I believe that no single model can be over 125 points in a warband.

Strip the Holy Relic off your warrior priest (-45), convert the huntsmen to an 10-man archer detachment (-20), replace the flagellants (15 of them is useless, they have no armour so they need huge numbers to do their job) with 24 spearmen (+4) (they are common folk as well, so you stay with the theme), and turn the militia into a detachment - free company works fine for them. Leaves you with enough points for a group of handgunners or maybe some pistoliers (they make great witch hunter conversions).

Red_Lep
24-01-2007, 21:27
I kinda want to keep the Flagellants in but realise that that number is too small. I will take off the Holy Relic and add another six Flagellants to raise thier numbers. Wouldn't keeping the Huntsmen be a good thing to help with warmachines and such? Also, what about cannons? I will add a Wizard in for two dispell scrolls and some dispell dice so would saying he managed to get them from his previous position work or would he not have that kind of connections?(sorry, since its supposed to be a themed army I want a believable background)

Makarion
25-01-2007, 01:04
Huntsmen are sadly rather underpowered; they cannot be relied upon to kill warmachine crew. If you feel you must have a dedicated anti-warmachine unit at 500 points, I would suggest using pistoliers or outriders. I wish they had kept their longbows, but with regular bows they lost quite a bit of their appeal.

As to your flagellants: I am afraid they will get shot up badly before they see close combat, and as such somewhat miss their calling. They aren't necessarily a bad unit, but not very suitable for such low point totals. Save them for your bigger armies (perhaps 1,500 points?).

Dispel scrolls are never all bad, although your warrior priest provides a dispel die already. If you want to stick to the theme and keep points free for actual units, I would suggest just adding a second warrior priest instead of a wizard with scrolls.

It's tempting to trust in faith and just use the one you have, plus 5-6 outriders or pistoliers, and a block of 20-25 infantry with detachments (5 archers and 10 free company if you want to be pure to your theme). Add the Shroud of Magnus if you feel your magic defense is otherwise lacking - that should keep your infantry free from pretty much anything they can conjure up at 500 points.

Red_Lep
25-01-2007, 02:51
I really want the Flagellants so I'm gunna keep them but I think at 19 they should have atleast some survivability, I swapped the 4+Ward and Huntsmen for Pistoliers. This an improvement or just another list?

Heroes- 119

Warrior Priest- 119
~Two-Handed Hammer
~Armor of Meteoric Iron
Core- 290

2x Militia(10)- 50
Flagellant(19)- 190
Special- 90

Pistoliers(5)- 90
Total- 499

the Gimp
25-01-2007, 06:13
Actually I don't believe you can add the WP to your Flaggies as they're unbreakable and he's not. I saw a discussion about this some where either here or at the Warhammer Forum or Warhammer-Empire.

Red_Lep
25-01-2007, 21:42
This work any better?(Add Flagellants later) I am staying away from state troops.

Heroes- 119

Warrior Priest- 119
~Two-Handed Hammer
~Armor of Meteoric Iron
Core- 225

3x Free Company(15)- 75
Special- 108

2x Pistoliers(3)- 54
Total- 497

MattKienbaum
25-01-2007, 22:10
if you want flagelents for your band keep them, it is about fun and you should play what you want. I do agree that a small block isn't much of a rode bump for some unites.

i would put you Warrior priest on a mount for mobility.

Take 5 of you pistoliers and make them outriders, upgrade and get a Hocland long rifel. this will allow you to pick off most enemy heros in 2 rounds from almost anywhere on the table. call them bad nobels doing penence the chirch. This also gives you 12 range 24 shots.

Mephistofeles
25-01-2007, 22:12
Remember that the church of Sigmar has access to full armies as well, so you can use any unit from the book and say that they are religious fantacis assigned to the priests holy army.

And sorry, the priest can't join the flaggies no, they are unbreakable, he is not. Sad but true.

I would rather take two units of 20 free company and use the 25 points saved to add command to those units.

Red_Lep
25-01-2007, 22:21
Thanks guys, I'm redoing the list now and I'll post it later.

Red_Lep
25-01-2007, 23:48
I think I've thought of a decent list and some decent background. My warband starts off as a small warband with the Priest's own forces and slowy grows with peasants joining the force as it goes through the Empire. Hows that sound?

Heroes- 119

Warrior Priest- 119
~Armor of Meteoric Iron
~Two-Handed Hammer
Core- 170

2x Swordsmen(10)- 85
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
~Duelist
Special- 208

Greatswords(14)- 158
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
2x Free Company Detachments(5)- 25
Total- 497