PDA

View Full Version : Challange - Eternal Guard 2K WE

Akuma
15-07-2005, 22:48
Ok I've read a thread with one guy trying to use Eternal guard. I just wanted to get you'r oppinions on what army build up is more suitable - and i wanted to go for lods of Eternal Guards To :D

I want to stress that this is not a tournament style army - but only a set-up that can suprise my opponent in a "friendly" game. It can be campetable but it's designed to full exploit the advantages of EG units.

1 * Highborn @ 254 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Longbow; Shield
Amber Pendant [35]
Gwytherc's Horn [15]
Oaken Armour [50]

Ok he goes with one EG unit - can make it ItP - which is fine because there is nothing more sad than loosing stubborn unit to a fear cousing outnumbering opponent. The Oaken armour will help him survive and amber pendant is there for lods of attacks and general GW boosting.

1 * Noble @ 128 Pts
Great Weapon; Longbow; Light Armour; Shield
Annoyance of Netlings [25]
Hunter's Talon [25]

Nice simple combo - where is you'r noble most safe ??? in a chalange !!! so plan is to kill chalange my opponent and do CR from fighting unit. H.T here form mage hunting and eventualy crew sniping.

1 Spellsinger @ 145 Pts
Magic Level 1; Longbow
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

A caddie

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts
Longbow

I just like the models + thay can weeken enemy unit as it makes it way throught the table or just rank up to 5x2 and support my EG units in combat.

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

Screen for EG

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

Screen for EG

18 Eternal Guard @ 258 Pts
Standard; Musician
1 Guardian @ [12] Pts

The Meat of the army - either close up on enemy very fast or if he comes - wait and try to set up charges with wardancers and 1 support rank removing unit ( either Tree kin or gg )

18 Eternal Guard @ 258 Pts
Standard; Musician
1 Guardian @ [12] Pts

The Meat of the army - either close up on enemy very fast or if he comes - wait and try to set up charges with wardancers and 1 support rank removing unit ( either Tree kin or gg )

6 Wardancers @ 115 Pts
Wardancer Weapons; Musician

CR boosters and cavalry removers

6 Wardancers @ 115 Pts
Wardancer Weapons; Musician

CR boosters and cavalry removers

3 Warhawk Riders @ 120 Pts
Spear; Longbow

Mage removal and warmachine hunters

3 Treekin @ 195 Pts

Support unit and flank guarder

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

Warmachine hunter

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

Warmachine hunter

Casting Pool: 3

Dispel Pool: 3

Models in Army: 87

The idea is to be agressibve and runs straight for enemy postions - all the cheep stuff is there to flee form enemy charge ( eagles ) or kill the things that worry me most - machines and mages. If enemy runs 3~4 units you should be Ok you can easly combine treekinn with one unit of wardancers and one wardancer unit with gg to get 2 additional combat elements - but the key is to use pincer strategy one unit on one flank and second on the other - this leves the center oppen with two wardacenr units that can combine charges either to support EG when needed or charge a unit on their own efectivly giving a chance to get 12 dancers in cc ;). You could swap GG with Gr - and be faster and more hitty - gg and tree kin are flank guardians and support charge EG to deny enemy rank bonus.

So what do you think ???

angry_elves
20-09-2006, 12:25
its good but i dont see much in the way of cav

Ixe
20-09-2006, 12:31
It seems pretty wasteful to be able take the one-use item to make EG immune to psych. They're already stubborn, it would be better to take the rerolling ld test item.

Also, it's been a while since I played fantasy, but IIRC skirmishers don't block line of sight. Did you mean that the dryads screen the EG from charges?

Sinew
20-09-2006, 14:56
Also, it's been a while since I played fantasy, but IIRC skirmishers don't block line of sight. Did you mean that the dryads screen the EG from charges?Skirmishers block LOS, so I imagine he meant they'd stop people shooting at the Eternals.

I like the idea, and the army come to that. I've seen a few armies trying to use Eternal guard, but only because they're doing a 'no tree-spirits-cos-it's-winter' theme. I like the idea of putting Eternals (which are almost certainly the best spearmen in the game) into a more standard list.

I think you should experiment with the combination of equipment on your Noble and Highborn a bit more. To my mind, one of the things that makes taking a Highborn worthwhile is he can field a protective item AND one or two offensive items, all of which are worth 30+ points. I think he should definitely have the hail of doom arrow for a start - even if it is only to get off a nice 'stand and shoot' reaction. I'd keep the Amber pendant, and probably wouldn't bother with the Oaken armour. He won't be shot in the unit, and if you keep your champion nearby he can challenge any enemy characters while your Highborn concentrates on winning the combat. I think the Horn is a good choice (though possibly not useful against all armies) and the Horn of the Asrai is also worth considering.

As for the Noble, I think the Hunter's Talon is a bit pants, I'd be tempted to see if you could do without the AoN so you could use your Spite allowance to get the Pageant of Shrikes instead of the Talon if you really want sniping.

I'd also recommend getting a Treeman, but that's my more gamey side coming out, and I know this is a fun list. I like Treekin, but I think the Treeman is a better counter-charger, due to easier maneuverability, and could also fill in as another blocking unit, allowing the Eternals to play counter charger. The Treekin will be vulnerable to getting charged while trying to get into position to counter charge.

druchii
20-09-2006, 17:49
I'd almost tell you to drop the treekin. It's been said before, and I agree, that treekin are some of the worst 40mm monsters in the game.
Have you thought about getting some units of cavalry?
They can add another "take the fight to the enemy" unit, as welll as a flank threatener and counter-charge unit.

good luck.

Unwise
21-09-2006, 07:15
Although the list looks fine to me, if you were looking for a EG themed army I would think you could fit in 3 units of them. You seem to have disproportional amount of skimishy, harassing, covering units. I count 8 'tactical' units to support you two infantry blocks.

I'm not saying the list won't work, but if you want to really have a footslogger themed army like the title suggests consider trimming back the special stuff for another infantry block.

Akuma
21-09-2006, 08:02
guys this thread is 2 months old :D why did someone bring it back ? Anyways

For 3 warhawk riders i would indeed now use one unit of glade cavalry ( tried with warhawks - thay suck major time ...

As for treekin - well on asrai org - best site about we the oppinion on them is quite diffrent - thay are the most durable monsters out there - with as and ward + 5T there isnt much things that can harm them - but i guess i could drop them and the eagles to add treeman - but i like my eagles for that ...

anyways this is my freindly roster - the tournament one is much much diffrent ...

Ixe
21-09-2006, 10:33
Do you have your tournament roster posted somewhere? I'd really like to see what a "nasty" WE list looks like. I'm having a hard time figuring out how these guys are supposed to win cuz they're just such an unconventional army!