PDA

View Full Version : BSB postion and Oath stone

Mordu22
24-01-2007, 07:47
Since an oath stone makes a unit have no rear or flank which facing of the unit is the front rank that the BSB must be in to use it's ability and runes? If it is the one engaged in combat what happens if you are engaged on two sides? Or do you not have a front rank so a bsb can be anywhere in the unit and still use it's abilities

T10
24-01-2007, 08:18
The unit will still have a front. Use that. :)

-T10

DeathlessDraich
24-01-2007, 13:14
"The Stonebearer unit has no flanks or rear" and "the character on the stone may not be moved within the unit"

The BSB is stuck where he is. When enemy units flee, the 'stoned' unit will be shot and wounded by magic and wither away hopelessly.
I stopped using the Oathstone after 2 games.

Mordu22
24-01-2007, 21:46
I did not specify that the BSB is not the Char with oathstone. Is one able to change what side the "front" rank is? If the unit is charged from the "Front" can the stone be set, A the stone bearer is in the challenge auto and he dies. In subsequent can one change the front rank to one that is not engaged in combat and be able to move the bsb so that he cannot be challenged but still use the bsb and runes because he is still in the front rank?

gukal
24-01-2007, 21:58
As I recall, the stonebearing character is the only character permitted in the unit. Therefore, the issue will not arise except in the context of a stonebearing BSB.

I also have some recollection that the stonebearer is moved to the center of the unit. Assuming that is true, then having this occur to the BSB would have some impact on the measurements re-rolling break tests.

- Gukal

Chicago Slim
24-01-2007, 23:42
I'd suggest that a stonebearing unit has four fronts, one on each side (it has no flanks nor rear, so each side must be the front).

As such, the unit cannot turn its facing if it wins a fight (normally, if you win, you can turn your unit if you're only engaged on a flank or rear-- but the stonebearing unit has no front nor rear), and it can't turn during its movement phase if its disengaged, because turning is movement, and it can't move.

So, once the stone is set, the unit is stuck just where it is, with four fronts.

Mordu22
25-01-2007, 00:05
didn't catch that sentence about other chars. Still it will arise if a stone bearer is killed and THEN a BSB joins the unit. And this happens to me often as i use my BSB to join whatever unit needs the CR the most.

gukal
25-01-2007, 00:30
You still misunderstand slightly. When you deploy an oathstone, you designate a unit of troops to be "Stonebearers". No other characters may ever join the Stonebearers (regardless of the relative health of the oathstone-bearing character).

- Gukal