Elyas
16-07-2005, 02:03
Can single-wound models regenerate?

samw
16-07-2005, 02:05
yes they can

Kensai X
16-07-2005, 03:31
Yes in WHFB it's like another Invulnerable save unlike in 40k where you actually regenerate...

T10
16-07-2005, 10:31
What? That was just confusing.

There are no Invulnerable saves in WHFB.

A single-wound model that regenerates would work like this.

"Agh! I'm dead!" (keels over, waits a bit) "No, wait! My legs have re-grown! I'm back in business, baby!"

Though the effect of regeneration is that the model disregards damage he has suffered, it has the efect that "killed" models are efectively incapacitated until they have regenerated.

In close combat, a Troll that suffers three wounds before it has made its own attacks "dies". When it regenerates it does not get to attack. An important distinction.

-T10

Izram
16-07-2005, 12:58
If a troll a single troll takes 10 wounds from full health, he only takes 3 regeneration rolls, right? You can't take more wounds than you have?

Geetarman
16-07-2005, 14:09
I dont think so, I think you need to take 10 but am by no means sure...

Gman

Arnizipal
16-07-2005, 15:58
I dont think so, I think you need to take 10 but am by no means sure...

Gman
No, this has been explained in a Q + A I can't find at the moment. :o
Regenerating creatures can only suffer as many wounds as they themselves have left. The rest is regenerated automatically.
So a Troll that suffers 4 wounds but only has one wound remaining only needs to roll one die (and thus has a 50% chance of survival) to save itself.

fubukii
17-07-2005, 01:56
Regeneration is pretty dam good. Strigoi vamps/carstein ring users really have it made.

Bam you die come back with 1 wound? no problem invo yourself back to full wounds lol :)

samw
17-07-2005, 18:47
This is what makes regen better than a 4+ ward save in a lot of situations. (and makes the Von Carstein Ring insanely good and worth 100pts)

BloodiedSword
17-07-2005, 19:53
Incidently, is Regeneration destroyed by any Fire based attack? Or is it just that you may not Regenerate Wounds caused by Fire based attacks? Or is it a rule specific to Troll Regeneration? :-S

Sir_Glonojad
17-07-2005, 19:58
I believe that regeneraion is indeed desroyed by fire.

Also, I am a big fan of it, since after my duke has killed a Skaven chieftain -twice- n two consecutive rounds of ocmbat, and yet the vermin survived ;)

Lord Chilipepa
17-07-2005, 20:03
Regenerate is stopped for the rest of the game if you're hit by a fire-based attack... which makes for a helluva lot of fun when you hit units of trolls with fire based attacks. Oh yes siree... now that one over on the left can't regenerate any more... now I'll open fire on the unit with non-fire-based missile attacks... do we randomise, or take it on the majority of models, or what?

Curse GW and their vagueness.

Sir_Glonojad
17-07-2005, 20:05
I think that the rule ceases to apply to the whole unit, as the whole unit is under attack from laming arrows. Provided they get wounded with it at least once. I may be wrong, though.

PelsBoble
17-07-2005, 20:11
Yes i would agree with Sir_Glonojad. As the unit takes wounds from fire based attacks (Even tho only 1) the unit should lose its regeneration.

Geetarman
18-07-2005, 08:23
I agree, it is far easier easier to cancel the regen ability on the whole unit than one model.

Gman

Major Defense
18-07-2005, 13:03
I don't have my BRB handy but I could swear I remember it saying "wounds caused by fire-based attacks can not regenerate". If my memory is correct then ONLY the fire-based wounds suffered could not be regenerated and you wouldn't cancel the regeneration effect totally. Anybody have a BRB in front of you?

Sir_Glonojad
18-07-2005, 13:09
"If a regenerating creature or unit sustains one or more wounds froma flame attack it cannot regenerate any wounds during the remainder of the battle, not even those inflicted with ordinary weapons." BRB.

T10
18-07-2005, 14:57
If a troll a single troll takes 10 wounds from full health, he only takes 3 regeneration rolls, right? You can't take more wounds than you have?

Apparently there is a FAQ that states that can be summed up as ruling that wounds are discounted before regeneration.

This is in my opinion a flawed ruling.

It will effectively mean that defeating a Troll with a single wound in close combat is more difficult that defeating an uninjured Troll.

Assume that the Troll suffers 4 wounds, but regenerates enough wounds to leave it at 1 wound. Against an uninjured troll the attacker scores +2 combat resolution. Against the injured troll he scores +0.

The weaker troll has a better chance of winning the combat!

Conversively, if wounds were discounted *after* regeneration that discrepancy is eliminated:

Successful regenerations/Combat Result vs 3 W Troll/Combat Result vs. 1 W Troll:
0/Dead Troll/Dead Troll
1/Dead Troll/Dead Troll
2/+2/Dead Troll
3/+1/Dead Troll
4/+0/+0

It gets more messy with regenerating characters in challenges. Say you score a +5 overkill bonus against a regenerating character. The character discounts the excess wounds and has a chance to regenerate the actual wounds lost.

Is the overkill bonus discounted or not? The model is still alive, so the "psychological effect" seems moot...

All in all the rules work best as long as you discount excess wounds AFTER regeneration.

-T10

Neknoh
18-07-2005, 17:38
I actually think that wounds caused in a challenge is NOT discounted, the FAQ on the UK website suggests this... or was it the BrB itself... anyway, it says that it still is quite discouraging for a unit to see it's leader hacked to pieces.

So I take it that it does not remove the overkill bonus, just the wounds that were lost

Sir_Glonojad
18-07-2005, 17:48
Well, I don't know - the rulebook says "any excess wounds", so I guess an overkilled character should be able to regenerate all the wounds inflicted on him, get up back after regenerating at least a single wound, but have all those not-regenerated counted against him in the combat resolution.

The problem is the wording of the overkill rule, which doesn't specifically says that a character must be dead in order to overkill rule to take place (though it is of course implied byt he circumastances).

samw
18-07-2005, 18:30
However, imagine seeing your leader hacked to pieces, and get back up again! This would surely do wonders for your morale, countering any anxiety you felt at his being cut up in the first place.

T10
19-07-2005, 06:58
Well, I don't know - the rulebook says "any excess wounds", so I guess an overkilled character should be able to regenerate all the wounds inflicted on him, get up back after regenerating at least a single wound, but have all those not-regenerated counted against him in the combat resolution.

Which is almost (but not quite) the same as adding up all the wounds lost, then regenerating each wound separately before discounting excess wounds.

The problem is the wording of the overkill rule, which doesn't specifically says that a character must be dead in order to overkill rule to take place (though it is of course implied byt he circumstances).

The word "kill" in "overkill" pretty much sums that up, though. Anyway - regeneration is an exception to the normal rules, so it would be unfair to expect the Challenge rules to make special mention of each circumstance a special rule might introduce.

-T10