PDA

View Full Version : DoW and Empire

Ozymandiass
24-01-2007, 20:31
Just re-started my Empire Army, wondering how DoW work now as they are not in the Rare section of the Army List. I have a Giant and a unit of Duelists that I enjoy using. Has this been addressed somewhere?

Thanks.

Ozymandias, King of Kings

vampires are cool!
24-01-2007, 22:11
As far as I know, no they haven't adressed the issue. Most players will let you field both units, those who dont, point out to them that giants are officialy allowed in all armies as a rare unit [WD some where, cant remember which one] and the duelists can simply be a unit of 'counts as' swordsmen.

Snotteef
24-01-2007, 22:15
I don't remember where, but I could swear I read something that said, since all armies can take dogs of war, they decided to remove the entry to save space. I'll poke around and see if I can find where.

Ozymandiass
24-01-2007, 22:44
I figured the Giant would be ok. But I really like my duellists, they are highly effective (though we'll see with the new pistol rules). If my opponent's fine, I'll keep using them, otherwise, I'll use Archers as my skirmishers and put my Duellists into my free company unit.

gORCUS
24-01-2007, 23:38
There's a DoW and a RoR list you can download from the GW site. On the lists it tells you who can take what, GW apparently doesn't want to confuse new players with a DoW entry.

Crazy Harborc
24-01-2007, 23:44
Go to GW's site (I use the USA and or the UK versions) Click Warhammer, the page that comes up should have a sidebar minue that lists the armies of Warhammer. (On the USA list it says Giants/DoW)

It has been stated in WD and GW on-line, that DoW and or RoR are still useable. The DoW and RoR PDF files still take the place of armybooks;)

blahblahblah
25-01-2007, 00:39
woohoo! I can still use my pikemen! :) :) :)

the overlord
25-01-2007, 06:28
They changed it only a little. The Giant was in a White Dwarf Article (I think it was the one of last october).

As for Dogs of War and Regiment of Renown

The ruling as it had been stated for Northern Europe (and I think world-wide)

Dogs of War:
Can only be used in a Dogs of War army (concisting of both Dogs of War and Regiments of Renown). No exceptions in official events (although local campaigns/ events may judge otherwise).

Regiments of Renown:
Can be used in any army as long as they are permitted as stated in the unit entry of the Dogs of War list (most of the time DoW takes a Rare Slot per unit). And DoW may only be used in armies as stated in the unit entry (again as found in the DoW army list, download from the GW website).

#As an add on. New unit entries for the Dogs of War (and subsequently Regiment of Renown) range can be found in the White Dwarf, or as GW web-enchantments.

Just my two cents.
Greets Elise

Capitán Sánchez
25-01-2007, 15:14
So we have lost the last opportunity to use Halflings in an Empire Army list.

Damn you, GW! :mad:

Thank you

Griefbringer
25-01-2007, 15:31
The ruling as it had been stated for Northern Europe (and I think world-wide)

Dogs of War:
Can only be used in a Dogs of War army (concisting of both Dogs of War and Regiments of Renown). No exceptions in official events (although local campaigns/ events may judge otherwise).

Regiments of Renown:
Can be used in any army as long as they are permitted as stated in the unit entry of the Dogs of War list (most of the time DoW takes a Rare Slot per unit). And DoW may only be used in armies as stated in the unit entry (again as found in the DoW army list, download from the GW website).

Just wondering - where did you find this? Is it a piece of GT rules?

Reabe
25-01-2007, 16:02
Dogs of War:

Regiments of Renown:

#As an add on. New unit entries for the Dogs of War (and subsequently Regiment of Renown) range can be found in the White Dwarf, or as GW web-enchantments.

Yeah, that's wrong. All that the removal of Dogs of War choice from the army books means is that you can't ask your opponent's permission to take them as special choices. The Dogs of War Army Book- er... Army List- ... PDF File says that any army (except for brettonia) can take any DOW unit (exceptions with the dwarf unit) as a single rare choice.

As long as the DOW PDF isn't updated, that's the rule. You can continue using you Giant and Duellists.

Avian
25-01-2007, 16:04
Sounds like this years GW tournament restrictions...

Anyway, the OFFICIAL DoW rules have this to say:

Fielding ‘Dogs of War’ units in other Warhammer armies
Other armies from Ravening Hordes or the Warhammer Armies books can field units from the Dogs of War list. In general, they are included in the lists as a Rare choice. In addition, the following restrictions apply:
Empire, any Chaos, Dark Elves, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Khemri, Dwarfs, and Lizardmen armies can field any unit from the Dogs of War army list.
Chaos Dwarfs, Wood Elves, High Elves and Orcs & Goblins can field any unit from the Dogs of War army list except for Dwarfs.
Bretonnia cannot field Dogs of War at all.

Ozymandiass
25-01-2007, 16:33
Thanks for all the help. I don't go to tournaments so I'm not worried what those restrictions are (plus they keep changing their mind about what's legal and what's not). I'll continue with my force the way it was. Thanks.

Petey
25-01-2007, 18:52
Just to hazard a guess, i think that the dogs of war options have been removed from orcs and empire purposefully. Not to confuse new gamers, not to save space, none of that rubbish.
My guess is that the way dogs of war are used is about to change substantially.
My gut feeling is that Dogs of war will be replaced with a book for tilea, kislev, and arabi, with rules on using a mercenary for as allies (kind of like what we currently have for Kislev today)
And i m sure we ll see detailed rules for allies and their use in Mighty empires. My feeling on this is that it will in great parts follow the Kislev example, so in a campaign if you as a DE player are allied with a Skaven player in the campaign, you ll get access to his troops (as if they were your Kislev) complete with needing to have a command structure and min. core units.
Why do i say this?

a) The little kids with ADHD will be able to buy Tons of figs from many ranges now for their armies, and be able to use them. Thus promoting more fig sales.
b) The rules work and aren't cheezy, while at the same time being very simple.
c) Veteran Gamers with established armies will want to collect allied forces to use with their existing armies. Image the bret player who always wanted to fight with allies from Athel Loren, very fluffy but not currently doable. Or the empire player who's called on his staunch allies the dwarves to fight a horrible threat (like the many times in WH history that evil armies come together in unholy alliance) Watch as skaven shoot your marauders in close combat, etc.
Also, this promotes fig sales.
d) As a campaign you don't know just who will be your ally, so when you find an ally, you ll get a chance to use his troops. Which you will want to do. Which will require buying more figs. Which GW wants you to do.

Harry
25-01-2007, 20:35
That is some fine deductive reasoning.

I think they might also include Estalian contingents.
The only thing I cannot decide is what they will do about the whole Regiment of Renown thing???

vampires are cool!
25-01-2007, 22:34
Its so nice to have positive attitude on our future shafting by gamesworkshop.

Crazy Harborc
25-01-2007, 23:40
True......BUT....unless you signed some sort of "usage agreement" when you paid in full for any of your GW products.....You (or someone who gave it to you, they paid) bought, you own it. Until GW pays you to play the games YOU own free and clear....you and your opponent(s) decide amongst yourselves what if any troop limits are to be followed.;)

GW does have a right to set the rules for their official events. So do indie stores, gaming groups etc.

Ozymandiass
26-01-2007, 00:04
I'm fortunate enough to play with a pretty cool group of guys so that if I wanted to use my Giant for my Wood Elf army (which is one of the few that can't use a Giant), I'm sure my group wouldn't care, just be another fun challenge.

IIRC the General's Compendium had some rules about allies. It had a chart with who could ally with whom and what type of alliance it would be. I'll have to dig that out...