PDA

View Full Version : 500 point Slaaneshi Border Patrol help

Caligula
24-01-2007, 22:00
Greetings all. I'm very new to the world of Warhammer Fantasy, and am looking to start an army. My army of choice is Chaos, specifically a Slaanesh-themed army. My plan is to start small, learning through experience and collecting in managable, yet playable portions.

So, first off, I'm looking to start with a 500 point Slaaneshi border patrol. There, that's the easy part. The hard part for me comes to figuring out what said 500 point force will consist of to be effective. I have access to both the Hordes of Chaos and Beasts of Chaos army books, so lack of information is not an issue. Lack of experience, however, is.

So what I'm asking for is a push in the right direction here. What units, unit sizes, type of Hero, etc. should a 500 point army contain to be effective. I'm certainly not wanting anyone to write my list for me, only for a few basic tips and suggestions on what I should be looking at.

Caligula
25-01-2007, 01:33
Okay then, well to get this going a little bit, I'll share what I'm considering at this point.

First of all, I need at least one Core unit of decent size. Chaos Warriors are typically way too expensive to fill this role adequately, so that leaves me with Marauders. I'm thinking a unit of about 19 or 20 with Hand Weapons, Shields, and full command.

Next, I need a bit of a hammer unit....Chaos Warriors or Chaos Knights would fill this role, but honestly I'm unsure of this considering the huge amount of points involved. At the 500 point level, a unit of Knights or Warriors is going to account for about half of all available points. Taking into account the small number of points I'm confined to at this point, maybe I should just leave the Warriors and Knights out for now? If so, what other unit could fill the role of hammer? Possibly a Chaos Chariot?

I'm thinking a unit of 5 or 6 Marauder Horsemen with Flails and a Musician is almost a must have at any points level, so it'd be nice to be able to fit them in.

Finally, a Hero is mandatory. At this point I'm fairly unsure of what type of Hero to add to this force...most likely an Aspiring or Exalted Champion of Slaanesh for added combat effectiveness with the Marauders.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm fairly uncertain about many aspects of where to go or what to do about gathering this force, and don't have much in the way of concrete plans. Any help in gaining a more firm grasp on what I should be doing with this would be infinitely appreciated.

Caligula
25-01-2007, 02:06
Okay, I've gone ahead and posted a list on the army lists section. Please check it out if you're interested...
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66385

Briohmar
25-01-2007, 12:19
I had a lot of luck using beasts of Slaanesh, small herd, 12 Slaangors, 5 hounds, Beast Chariot and Bray Shaman (Slaanesh) Another option was 11 Warriors, Aspiring Champ, 5 Hounds, Marauder Horsemen and chariot, was another list I used for a while. A sorceror, 5 Knights, 16 Marauders and 5 Hounds worked. Take your pick of how you want to do it. All of these were Slaaneshi, and all had excellent records in a 500 point campaign.

Caligula
25-01-2007, 19:28
Great, thanks for the suggestions, Briohmar! I'll look into writing up a few lists using your ideas as a template.

Murderous Monkey
25-01-2007, 20:09
500 points is always going to be a tricky game. It's usually going to be decided by the biggest fight and most lists will have the majority of their eggs in one basket.

I'd avoid warriors (despite loving them) as Knights can probably fill the roll better. A unit of 4 Slaanesh Knights with a standard is 172 points - you can add a musician for another 10. You have to have a unit of at least 10 infantry and I'd take some marauders - cheap and cheerful. A basic unit of 10 with flails is only 60 points, or you can have ranks for a real 'anvil' unit and have... say 20 with full command for 165 points. You can then decide what sort of hero you want and take a bit of support.

Marauder Horsemen would be useful, but chaos warhounds will also work well. I like magic so would take a sorcerer (level 2) and some warhounds but a basic aspiring champion will also go well.

The key with any warhammer army is to make sure you have hitting power (hammer), resiliance (anvil) and support (everything else). You've got to concentrate on having enough units to crush the enemy and the support troops to make sure you get the chance. Fast expendable troops are there to make sure you get the charge (baiting), to charge the enemy in the flank, and/or to eliminate enemy support troops such as missile troops, fast cavalry, skirmishers and war machines.

In 500 points you won't have a lot of points to go round but do not miss out on the hammer unit or you will almost never win. Try to have a bit of fast cavalry, they're ever so useful and the sooner you learn to use them the better. Warhounds are a fine substitute if you're short on points though. Below is a quick list to illustrate what I mean... it's not optimised but has a bit of everything and should help you learn how the game works.

4 Knights
Mark of Slaanesh
Standard + Musician

16 Marauders
L. armour and shields
Full Command

Sorcerer of Chaos
level 2 wizard
mark of slaanesh

6 Warhounds of Chaos

495 points

This is designed around being easily purchased (whole units/blocks where possible) and providing some experience with each aspect of warhammer.

With a wizard, a unit of cavalry, some ranked infantry and some light support troops you've got every element of the game and can see what you'd like more of in order to build your army up. It might be a bit overwhelming at first but I think it could help learn the game and prove valuable as the army expands - these are all common troops and will definitely feature in most 2000 point armies.

Hope I was able to help, and good luck with your army. Let us know how it develops (I want pictures!).

Caligula
25-01-2007, 20:18
Thank you very, very much, Murderous Monkey! Your advice was perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I'll take it all into consideration.

Zanzibarthefirst
25-01-2007, 22:01
a couple fo fear causing spawning moving at 3d6 should not be ignored.

Nekharoth
26-01-2007, 18:57
i would suggest mixing beasts with mortals: either chaos warriors (with 2 hand weapons) or knights - though even the minimum of 4 of these are probably going to be a bit pricy in a 500pt army; plus a beast herd to bulk the army up relatively cheaply - the 12 gor/8 ungor in the boxed set should be fine. on top of that, i would add something fast moving - i'm not sure if marauder horsemen would fit in pointwise, but maybe the aforementioned slaaneshi chaos spawn.

besides that, the best advice i could give would be to be extremely careful how you spend points on stuff like marks, chosen, and so on, as these will usually just be wasted points in a 500pt army.

also in an army of that size i would be tempted to ignore magic altogether, but that's up to you. it might prove risky against certain opponents.