PDA

View Full Version : New Ogre team threat

tenpole
24-01-2007, 21:00
Lord Iscariot has said their is a new warseer member joining the league. (Its in your messages on fumbbl.. what you don't read those.. oh not the information ones from Iscariot.... oh ok).

Now this "SigmarsChamp" is playing an ogre team. Firstly are ogres official teams as in the rules for types of teams.

Secondly should we be worried by an ogre team. I have never experienced a team of ogres, onlt ogres supporting teams and that was singular, one big nasty str 5 brute.

Tenpole

Edit: Gulp! 1. They are an official team
2. Oh no. Up to twelve ogres in a team, we're all going to die!

th0r
24-01-2007, 21:18
Only 8 can be on the field at once lol. Only 8.

Honestly ogres are only a problem for bashy teams, although I'm sure they could put a dent into my team...

EVIL INC
25-01-2007, 00:26
The ogre teams can be a scary thing to face. Early on, they are easier to beat but as they gain more ogres, skills and rerolls they can be pretty daunting. Especially when they get enough to put 11 on the field at once. They usually do not score a lot but they can do some massive damage to your team.
Tips,
1. Try to always make sure they dont get a touchback. That means they will always have to roll to pick up the ball. That can help them eat through thier rerolls.
2. Use the passing game and do not try to stall against them. Just go ahead and score and then keep scoring.
3. Dodge them. Try to never leave a player next to one of them so that they get to throw as few blocks as possible. Idealy, no blocks at all and only a single blitz.
4. Keep carefull track of which ones have failed thier bonehead roll during your turn so you can make better movements.

Only 8 on the field at once? If that is true is it a new rule /coded into the game? I decided to stop playing not too long ago and before I did ogres could field a full 11. Or is it a gentlemans rule that is not enforced by the code? Either way, the tips still apply.

th0r
25-01-2007, 00:56
hmm maybe it was just a house rule for my table top league imposed by the commissionare. Although I think fielding 11 ogres would be quite unbeatible.

EVIL INC
25-01-2007, 02:25
They arent that unbeatable.
My main one eventually had enough players that I was able to field 11 ogres at once and even had a couple for spares. With the failed bonehead rolls, constant replacement of the paper goblins andexpensive players/rerolls, you will find that half your team fails thier rolls at the most inopportune times and very often, your big guys go down because of the lack of block/dodge.
I rarely won with them, but they always caused injuries. It is not really the fear of losing the game that you need to worry about, it is the fear of losing key players that you will need for future games.

LordSnotball
25-01-2007, 09:34
aye, my elf tactic against ogres is 'hit the gobbos and ignore the rest'... sometimes bonehead makes the ball carrier stall too much and they even fail to score...

a few strip balling kamikaze line-elves will always do the trick :)

-Snottie

Autobot HQ
25-01-2007, 11:10
I never read Iscariot's messages, he prattles on ALL the time. Honestly, you'd think he was dedicated to you all having a good time or something. The loser.. ;)

Ogres, once they get to eight or more of the huge guys, become a problem. Like, a real problem. If they don't roll doubles, you tend to be facing a S5 guard team which means you'll never be getting a decent block on these guys (unless you cart around a S6 Troll or something). It takes a while, and they wont be a scoring machine unless you get a +AG roll and then start dedicating those precious doubles to throwing skills, and make a goblin missile scorer (always fun I find).

Still, a new team to the league that we don't have already, so should be fun :D

A-HQ
Lord of ... oh you know it by now!

Autobot HQ
25-01-2007, 11:14
Also, take note of EVIL INC comment on bonehead. Remember, once you start replacing goblins (giving you an Ag2 team also..) on the field with Ogres, you now have ELEVEN bonehead rolls a turn. Stathammer-wise thats one or two failed, so you're only plaing against nine guys now. And if you're lucky, it'll be the guy with the ball / trying to blitz / with the +S increase and two doubles.

... I had that last guy once. S6 Block/Break Takle/Frenzy Ogre.

Some crowd guy threw a rock and killed him. I love that rock guy.

Riddy
25-01-2007, 18:49
Pfft, i bet i will still find a way to outblock them....

Plus Skinks>Goblins

tenpole
25-01-2007, 20:09
But the orcs are a bashy team. My team dont dodge very well, maybe I ought to look at employing more goblins for a different style of play when taking on ogres. I am still very worried with all those str 5 mighty blow meat heads rampaging across the field.
Kick would be a skill to get for one of my linesmen after block then to avoid touchback.
I can envisage a goblin surrounded by an ogre cage when they have the ball.

EDIT: where is the coach anyway. Show yourself. We're not really afraid you know.

EVIL INC
25-01-2007, 23:17
Ogre cages are easily broken when the cage fails the bonehead rolls and corners are left open.
Likewise, orcs can often outblock ogres with the easy ability to gain block and the strength 4 bobs. You will still take a beating at thier ham hands but with your high armor, you should survive most blocks that dont go your way until you get the needed pows or pow/skulls.

tenpole
28-01-2007, 22:11
The ogre team has gone from the lists.

hey whats this dice button.

[dice0]

Autobot HQ
29-01-2007, 07:23
No it hasn't

*Jedi-Mind-Tricks Tenpole*

tenpole
29-01-2007, 07:53
These aren't the ogres we're looking for!
Move on.

Autobot HQ
29-01-2007, 12:23
Alas, your dice-fu is weak, you must train harder!

[dice0]

EmperorsChamp01
29-01-2007, 13:29
Hey yea sorry about taking my team off there i accedently clicked the remove team button. But they should be back on here soon. (Emperor and Sigmar Willing.) But Now that i know all your tactics i will be sure to not to set myself up in those situations. Muwahahahahah. Oh and by the way im SigmarsChamp

tenpole
29-01-2007, 16:44
Ha he still has a Christmas hat on his avatar. Thats bad luck already.

Edit: Too late I saw it.