PDA

View Full Version : AN ARMY OF ANGRY COWS...kinda

greendan
24-01-2007, 23:07
i was bored and browsing through the beasts army book so figured id put together an army and base it around minotaurs and other big guys/heavy hitters.

i saw someone post a list awhile back and was basically wondering if anyone ever bothered to put a minotauresque army together??
and how did it perform??

heres what i came up with....

LORD:
DOOM BULL 221pts
+slaughterer's blade
heavy armour

HEROES:
BRAY SHAMAN 125pts
+2 dispel scrolls

CORE:
MINOTAURS (5) 220pts
+2 hand weapons

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

CHARIOT 85pts
CHARIOT 85pts

DOOM WOLVES (6) 36pts

RARE:
SHAGGOTH 308pts
+great weapon & light armour

SHAGGOTH 308pts

is this viable??
ive never used beasts but i have used ogres so i imagine it would play some what similar to them.
i did initially use some dragon ogres as they seem very good but figured id use the two shaggoths for terror.
they also have a great model, plus i would think theyd look terrifying plonked on each flank :chrome:

i also marked everything with nurgle but it came out kinda expensive, so i dropped that.
though it wouldve given the minotaurs a 4+ save.

any comments welcome!

strateger
25-01-2007, 12:37
Please.........

Drop the 2 shagghots and buy 8 dragon ogres instead
shaggots sucks.......

mark of khorne is a better deal for the minotaurs: better magic protection, better dmg, immune to psy...

theDarkGeneral
25-01-2007, 18:56
The list looks like more fun then competitive, though it'll hit hard once there...Shaggoths are cool, but tough to use, Dragon Ogres are a bit better, but it really depends upon what role in your army they're for...right now your list seems to be Undivided which is fine...you could drop the Bray-Shaman and start to Mark things with Khorne...Xtra Hand Wpns on the Minos is ok against some Undead, Goblins and most Elves...but Grt Wpns much better...

Hope this helps...

dominic_carrillo
26-01-2007, 00:55
yeah you cant go wrong with Battle Cattle. try some units of beastmen to support the minotaurs though. thought about a giant?

greendan
26-01-2007, 02:11
haha battle cattle i like that!
thanks for the responses guys.
ya i think dragon ogres are probably better than the shaggoths.
4 dragon ogres costs around the same as a single shaggoth anyway.
hm id like to mark everything khorne but i worry about the frenzy thing being used against me.
also i wanted to try and keep it full of the big guys so i left out beast herds, as useful as they can be i realize!.
yep i did think about a giant briefly as i like the model, but then swapped him for shaggoths.
:chrome:

druchii
26-01-2007, 07:42
i was bored and browsing through the beasts army book so figured id put together an army and base it around minotaurs and other big guys/heavy hitters.

i saw someone post a list awhile back and was basically wondering if anyone ever bothered to put a minotauresque army together??
and how did it perform??

heres what i came up with....

LORD:
DOOM BULL 221pts
+slaughterer's blade
heavy armour

HEROES:
BRAY SHAMAN 125pts
+2 dispel scrolls

CORE:
MINOTAURS (5) 220pts
+2 hand weapons

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

MINOTAURS (4) 204pts
+great weapons
kine eater

CHARIOT 85pts
CHARIOT 85pts

DOOM WOLVES (6) 36pts

RARE:
SHAGGOTH 308pts

SHAGGOTH 308pts

is this viable??
ive never used beasts but i have used ogres so i imagine it would play some what similar to them.
i did initially use some dragon ogres as they seem very good but figured id use the two shaggoths for terror.
they also have a great model, plus i would think theyd look terrifying plonked on each flank :chrome:

i also marked everything with nurgle but it came out kinda expensive, so i dropped that.
though it wouldve given the minotaurs a 4+ save.

any comments welcome!

More.
Chaos.
Hounds.

Seriously.
Chaos hounds are magnificent. Baiting. Fleeing. Shooting sponges. The list goes on. Outside of marauder horsemen, these guys are your best "get up in your face and run away" troops. They will help you threaten warmachine crew, they wills creen your minotaurs, and they will help redirect some mean charges.

Lets face it, minotaurs are quick, but they're not that quick. You'll need something to draw some charges.

I'd go with your initial instinct. Throw in a unit of dragon ogres. Keep a shaggoth for fun. Cannons have to shoot at something right? The DOs are VERY menacing, and their 7M makes them VERY dangerous when people forget about it.

I wouldn't be affraid to drop the AHW on the initial unit of five(which I'd drop to three, if the doombull runs with them, or four if not) and replace it with yet more great weapons. If you've got them there for flair(you need fifteen pieces!) keep em, if not, get some more GWs.

If you're looking for some neat magic protection, you could invest in some marks of khorne. Sure the units are frenzied(with another A!), but you've got hounds to deal with that, right?

Although against some petty convention, my favorite "Cow Level" army was based around three units of khorne minotaurs, two units of nurgle minotaurs(for the sexy 4+save) a ton of hounds, and a few extra sweet details.

eat some meaties for me!
d

The SkaerKrow
26-01-2007, 07:56
Angry Cows > Angry Horses.

Chaos Hounds actually would be a good investment, as they'll let you control your opponent's advance through baiting, misdirection and march blocking. And c'mon, what kind of dog wouldn't follow this chuck wagon?

As a curious aside, how do you plan on using your chariots?