PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Warriors

LexxBomb
25-01-2007, 00:25
i KNow they dont exist anymore but what saw their color scheme and background and any fluff on them

Chainsworded Codpiece
25-01-2007, 00:30
We JUST had discussions about these fellas not maybe two months ago. I'm sure of it.

As for background: in short, no, there's nothing specific. Really, Wiki them or whatever. What you get is what there is.

My advice? Go ape crazy with oyur own ideas, though keep in mind they are, by and large, Codex.

Noserenda
25-01-2007, 02:53
I seem to recall you mentioning a pasiing knowlege of Rogue Trader Lexxbomb? In any case their colour is a deep blue, and thats about everything known about them. Theres no reason to belive they dont exist, they just have a silly name and dont get mentioned anymore.

Khaine's Messenger
25-01-2007, 02:59
They still exist (their color scheme is in various GW supplements)...there's not much background on them, and the only "source" I have is most likely fanfluff. You can find their generic color scheme here->link (http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/chapter%2Dgallery/4/) (see bottom right).

LexxBomb
25-01-2007, 03:15
ta thanks I thought I heard that GW had deliberatly erased them and even made a rule in golden demon that anyone entering any would be taken straight out.

Quin 242
25-01-2007, 03:48
that's rediculous.
they WERE a founding legion...

Alessander
25-01-2007, 04:20
They were named after a Greenpeace boat.

pookie
25-01-2007, 10:26
that's rediculous.
they WERE a founding legion...

thats true enough, Imperial Fists replaced them, Rainbow warriors were originaly a chpater based/from Terra.

Son of the Lion
25-01-2007, 10:40
And weren't they a dirty white in RT? My brain might be tricking me.

Where do you get them being a first founding Legion by the way? Apart from the fact they were listed in RT among the examples of Chapters alongside many of the later primogenitors I mean.

pookie
25-01-2007, 10:54
And weren't they a dirty white in RT? My brain might be tricking me.

Where do you get them being a first founding Legion by the way? Apart from the fact they were listed in RT among the examples of Chapters alongside many of the later primogenitors I mean.

They were a first founding chpater on the basis that Imp Fists didnt exsist and that they were numbered amongst the founding chapters alongised, ulta smurfs etc.

Son of the Lion
25-01-2007, 11:09
Where? In RT? As I said, that's NOT a list of first founding chapters. Source please!

pookie
25-01-2007, 11:22
Where? In RT? As I said, that's NOT a list of first founding chapters. Source please!

im unable to show you the contents of my head....

now i have no 'fluff' to back this up, but when i first started gaming back when i was a 'lad' ( 15 years ago ) the Rainbow warriros were listed as a first founding chapter, only later when the HH fluff was expanded did they get replaced by the Imp Fists.

Messiah
25-01-2007, 11:43
Heres what it says on Wikipedia:

"The Rainbow Warriors were mentioned in Rogue Trader (the first edition of Warhammer 40,000), but there is no mention of them in later editions of the game. They are however illustrated in the Space Marine Chapter Gallery (Games Workshop) as having dark blue armour with a multi-coloured rainbow stripe along the centre of their helmets. Due to their appearance in Rogue Trader, they are often erroneously referred to as a First Founding Legion. However, this legion 'apparently' came to the attention of the Ordos Hereticus for some reason unknown and were wiped out to a single company (as read in a White Dwarf). Also in Rogue Trader there is a picture of a Sister of Battle slaying a Rainbow Warrior. A Rainbow Warriors chapter badge is present in the Command Centre room on the board of MB Games Space Crusade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscellaneous_Space_Marine_Chapters

Sai-Lauren
25-01-2007, 11:50
Don't remember the RW as a 1st founding chapter, the foundings only really got introduced with Space Marine (1st edition epic) and the Fists were in it then (Fists, Wolves, Dark and Blood Angels, Salamanders, White Scars and Ultras were the loyalists in the rulebook and with banner flags, traitors were Death Guard, Night Lords, Sons Of Horus, Thousand Sons, Emperor Children, World Eaters and Alpha Legion IIRC). Release for that was with WD 114 (UK), so as the current one is 325, (325-114)/12) = 17 years and 7 months ago.

They were featured as one of the 12 marine chapters on the 2 page colour plate in RT - they were a dark blue with rainbow striped helmets.

I don't think it's co-incidental they share a name with the Greenpeace vessel that two French secret service agents scuttled in New Zealand (to prevent them interfering with a French nuclear weapons test IIRC) at around the time of RTs launch.

Of course, if you know what a rainbow flag refers to, then you can probably guess why GW pulled them. ;)

Son of the Lion
25-01-2007, 12:27
Of course, if you know what a rainbow flag refers to, then you can probably guess why GW pulled them. ;)

It's almost as worrying as the whole 'Lionel Johnson/ Lion El'Jonson' thing...

Kjell
25-01-2007, 13:45
The rainbow is considered a weapon in some cultures. I believe there were some native americans who saw it as a bow and some Oceanian tribes who believed that the rainbow was a sword. The old norse saw it as the bridge between the humans' world and the gods' world.

Modern Westerners commonly associate the rainbow with fairytales, all things that are aimed at little girls as well as homosexuality. It's not a very "macho" symbol. Even though it's entirely possible to give the Rainbow Warriors good background the majority of 40K players would consider them to be sissies because of their name.

Angelwing
25-01-2007, 13:50
i''ve used a rainbow warrior as one of my deathwatch team members. its an excuse to use obscure chapters and have people say " whats that?!"

Lieutenant Frederic Henry
25-01-2007, 15:26
It's almost as worrying as the whole 'Lionel Johnson/ Lion El'Jonson' thing...

Lionel Johnson was an Irish poet. Incidentally, the place in Ireland called The Rock (of Cashel), according the Norton Critical Edition of the Collected Works of W.B. Yeats was, " in County Tipperary, Ireland, an ecclesiastical site on a dramatically rocky outcrop that includes inside of it the ruins of a chapel, where an angel was believed to be buried." Interesting, no?

Anyhoo, yeah, the Rainbow Marines have been phased out for the most part by GW. A little too 'femme' to be considered 'real Marine material,' if you catch my drift.
Cheers.

pookie
25-01-2007, 15:44
Just a bit of fluff.... Grand Master Zippy, Chief Lib Bunglow and Chaplin George..... *** couldnt help myself...

Son of the Lion
25-01-2007, 15:48
Lionel Johnson was an Irish poet. Incidentally, the place in Ireland called The Rock (of Cashel), according the Norton Critical Edition of the Collected Works of W.B. Yeats was, " in County Tipperary, Ireland, an ecclesiastical site on a dramatically rocky outcrop that includes inside of it the ruins of a chapel, where an angel was believed to be buried." Interesting, no?

Indeed. Some of the GW team are extremely well read it appears.

('Course, I was making a skewed reference to LJ's purported sexual tastes, and some recent comments about Dark Angels wearing dresses. Because I'm mature like that.)

Voodoo Boyz
25-01-2007, 15:50
Rainbow Warriors, the only chapter where each company Barracks has a breakfast nook....

Emperor's Grace
25-01-2007, 17:49
Isn't it also the name of a Hawaiian football team?

Chainsworded Codpiece
26-01-2007, 03:14
.....aaand yep, a couple snide asides about the supposed "queerness" of the RW, just as I thought this'a'here redundant thread would generate.

Faaaaantastic.

Kjell's using his head, though. Remember, this is symbolism for the M41; different imagery applies different reaction in different cultures, and the WH40K millenium is chock fullla those, I think.

But really, aside from the admittedly usefull content of (some) of the posts, this thread's retreading pointlessly.

And even the "useful" part is a recent retread. Damn. Archives, archives, archives, yo.

PS- In case it's an issue, in no way does my irritation at the thread imply any dislike for the RW. Hell, I gave my version MORE rainbows. Changed the name, though.

Philip S
26-01-2007, 06:57
I think the Rainbow Warriors in 40K are (now) related to the Native American Hopi and their myths, rather than the Greenpeace boat.

Philip

Sai-Lauren
26-01-2007, 09:13
Kjell's using his head, though. Remember, this is symbolism for the M41; different imagery applies different reaction in different cultures, and the WH40K millenium is chock fullla those, I think.

Sure, rainbows may have a completely different meaning, or none at all, in the 41st millenia.

GW's still got to display and sell that imagery in the 21st century, where that meaning exists.;)

Philip S
26-01-2007, 09:22
Speaking of selling the idea, I vote for Aztecs!

More waffle on the Rainbow Warriors here (Black Library Forum);
http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10191

Which inspired this mini story;
http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10358

Seems a few fans really like the idea, what do you think?

Philip

Son of the Lion
26-01-2007, 10:40
That would be interesting. I've seen a few Aztec chapters in the past but they've always been a bit over the top.

Someone on the BL forum mentioned mixing it with Maori/Samoan imagery and I just like to say that's a rubbish idea and shouldn't be done by anyone ever.

(Jealously hugs partially painted Maori-themed Marines)

Super Ninja
14-11-2007, 18:34
Wow, phill that was a realy crazy story u found. amazingly written, very characterful. My complements to the artist who forged this masterpiece of fanfiction.

mistformsquirrel
14-11-2007, 18:53
Sure, rainbows may have a completely different meaning, or none at all, in the 41st millenia.

GW's still got to display and sell that imagery in the 21st century, where that meaning exists.;)

So what? Other than a few childish geeks who need to comment on the matter, why is that in any way important?

It's like the thing Hellebore always said about why he preferred the idea of Marines being castrated on their initiation - in part because it just disturbs the crap out of the less mature players.

I guess at the end of the day my point is that even if the Rainbow Warriors ARE gay... who cares?

I'll add that I think the colorscheme on the GW website is excellent; a far better method of putting the rainbow on the armor than I would have thought of (and the lightningbolt/wing/rainbow for the shoulder emblem is great as well).

*edit*

I'll also add - Phil, that's definitely a cool idea; with them being Aztec based. Good way to take an unusual image and really give it a good spin.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
14-11-2007, 20:48
(Jealously hugs partially painted Maori-themed Marines)

Exarch John: Hey what are those marines doing over there?
Farseer Bill: They seem to be jumping up and down and sticking their tongues out at us.
Exarch John: Oh OK.

Champsguy
15-11-2007, 00:12
Isn't it also the name of a Hawaiian football team?

Very good. Didn't think anyone else here would know that. The University of Hawaii were called the Rainbow Warriors up until 3 or 4 years ago, when they became simply "The Warriors".

And yes, Lionel Johnson was purported to be dealing with his own homosexuality in his poem "The Dark Angel". Now the Dark Angels Space Marines have a dark secret, which they'll do ANYTHING to protect...

(actually, I joked with some buddies that the Dark Angels' real secret was that they all played D&D)

Philip S
15-11-2007, 00:37
That would be interesting. I've seen a few Aztec chapters in the past but they've always been a bit over the top.
This one is a bit over the top too!

Wow, phil that was a realy crazy story u found. amazingly written, very characterful. My complements to the artist who forged this masterpiece of fanfiction.
Iíll pass on your compliments

I'll also add - Phil, that's definitely a cool idea; with them being Aztec based. Good way to take an unusual image and really give it a good spin.
More on this slow loading, image heavy, page: Rainbow Warriors (http://www.philipsibbering.net/WH40KRP/WH40KRP_Concepts_%5BAA_Chapters%5D.htm#Rainbow_War riors)

Philip

Gensuke626
15-11-2007, 00:52
Very good. Didn't think anyone else here would know that. The University of Hawaii were called the Rainbow Warriors up until 3 or 4 years ago, when they became simply "The Warriors".

I hated that move...Then again everyone down here still shouts "Go Bows!" so it guess it really doesn't matter.

Hehehe...makes me very tempted to make a kill team of Samoan and Japanese Space Marines with an old caucasian Inquisitor backing them up...I'd make sure they never win but that's only because I think June Jones is way over paid and they should funnel about 25% of his salary to the Theatre department so we can do more Chinese Opera...but I digress.

TheDarkDaff
15-11-2007, 03:23
actually, I joked with some buddies that the Dark Angels' real secret was that they all played D&D

Why do you think they built the rock. That stuff about the destruction of caliban was a smoke screen. Now they have a huge custom built dugeon to LARP in.

Champsguy
15-11-2007, 04:18
I hated that move...Then again everyone down here still shouts "Go Bows!" so it guess it really doesn't matter.

Hehehe...makes me very tempted to make a kill team of Samoan and Japanese Space Marines with an old caucasian Inquisitor backing them up...I'd make sure they never win but that's only because I think June Jones is way over paid and they should funnel about 25% of his salary to the Theatre department so we can do more Chinese Opera...but I digress.

You should do the army with Dark Eldar. All offense, no defense. ;) I can't really comment on coaching salaries, as we pay ol' Bobby Stoops $2.5 million a year. I've been extremely tempted to make at least a squad (and by "make", I mean pay a friend who can actually paint) of Sooner Marines with little interlocking "OU"s on their helmets.

Why do you think they built the rock. That stuff about the destruction of caliban was a smoke screen. Now they have a huge custom built dugeon to LARP in.

The destruction of Caliban came about because Lion El'Jonson came back and found out that Luther had killed his character and stolen his Boots of Elvenkind.