PDA

View Full Version : Orc Magic Dice

lord_fenric
16-07-2005, 10:15
Having decided to start an O&G army i purchsed the army book and am a little confused after reading the magic section.

So, ofr every shaman within 12" of a unit in combat (given that the unit is greater than the minimum size) you get an extra dice.

I assume, however, that this is in addition to the basic 2 dice you'd get for casting but are these in addition to the dice you'd recieve for being a level X wizard or do you not get these dice?

This may be a stupid question and simply be that i'm not reading things correctly but if someone could clear this up that'd be great.

Chuffy
16-07-2005, 10:18
The extra dice are additional, added on to however many power dice you normally generate.

Griefbringer
16-07-2005, 10:57
Yep, those "waaargh" power dice are in addition to the any other power dice you would generate (basic 2 + the levels of wizards + any magic items).

T10
16-07-2005, 11:03
Actually, you should read that again.

You get an additional die for each unit* that has one or more shaman within 12". You count enemy units* as well.

So Orcs vs Orcs:
Player A has one Shaman stuck into a 20-man goblin regiment. Player B has two Shaman in a 10-man orc regiment. These two regiments are fighting each other. It is player A's magic phase.

Player A's Shaman is within 12" of two units*. Player A gets 2 additional power dice.

Both of Player B's Shaman are within 12 of two units*. Player B does not get 4 additional dispel dice. He gets 2 additional dispel dice.

*) Yeah, the regular kind of orc or goblin unit of approiate size and fighting in close combat.

Griefbringer
16-07-2005, 11:18
A good point T10 - you only ever get one die per O&G unit, having multiple shamans in their vicinity does not improve the effect. there has been some confusion over this earlier on.

T10
16-07-2005, 11:33
The confusion probably originated in the old ruleset, where each Savage Orc shaman got an additional magic card for being in a Savage Orc regiment - or something like that. :)

-T10

Griefbringer
16-07-2005, 17:25
Well, there is apparently some part in the 6th edition O&G book that has been causing confusion. There has been at least two questions about it on Portent.

Bortus
16-07-2005, 19:21
Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion here so what I'm gonna do is post the rule as printed on page 27 of the Orcs and Goblins codex, paragraph 6 under Greenskin Magic:

For each Orc unit (of any type) of 10 models or more, or each Goblin unit (of any type) of 20 or more models, which is within 12" of a Shaman and engaged in close combat, the player adds +1 Power dice to his pile in his own turn, and +1 Dispel dice in the enemy's turn. Note that you should use the number of models not the unit Strength, and that if there are greenskins on both sides then all of them count for extra dice for both sides.

1.A Shaman does not need to be involved in close combat with a unit, only the unit needs to be in combat and within 12" of the Shaman and have the appropriate model number to get the affect. Remember it's not the amount of Shamans you have it's the number of units in close combat that meet the rules standards that count.

2. Before the questions is posted only greenskin units apply to this rule so Trolls, Giants or whatever else that ain't greenskins don't count!

Crazy Harborc
16-07-2005, 19:44
From time to time I crave a little magic with my wargaming. I get out the boys, a couple of shamans are made with the first points.

A few weeks ago, my opponent and I both got 3 EXTRA power dice for two complete turns of the game. Orcs against Orcs just didn't do diddle, fighting or magic wise..........BAD dice rolls on both side...........Next time I will take more gobbos, yeah that would have done it ;)

lord_fenric
18-07-2005, 09:45
Thanks for that people, has cleared that up nicely.... now if only i could settle on my army selection ;)