PDA

View Full Version : Orks and 40 AP2 attacks.

Murphey
25-01-2007, 04:49
This is more of a random musing than anything else, but definitly a supprise.

I was looking through the Ork codex, and was completely supprised to find that orks can apparently have a unit that fires 40 AP2 attacks.

I dont actually have an ork army, but as the moderator at my store, I gotta know all the codeces fairly well, so when a little gem like that slips by me, I tend to be pretty supprised.

I have no doubt in my mind that this must be a popular ork build. Essentially, buy 20 12pt models (flash gitz w/ blasta), toss them in a wartruk, and away you go.

I have always considered the orks pretty low on the power curve compared to other codeces (and I still do), but its kinda nice to see things like this and the zapp gunz available to the Orks. Horribly dangerous to its users, but almost as dangerous to your opponents ;)

jazzdude78
25-01-2007, 04:58
no its not a popular ork build

Firedrake Thomas
25-01-2007, 05:04
Actually, I believe it's the least popular Flash Git option. for 240 pts, you get about one good chance to use their guns until they pretty much kill half their unit from their own shooting. :P

Also, btw, Wartrukks can only hold 10 guys (you're probably thinking of a Battlewagon, which would be another 120 pts, at least). Overall, it's too risky and expensive for most serious player to use. But of course, maybe if you're that serious you shouldn't be playing Orks in the first place! I haven't gotten around to it yet, but one of these days I'm definately going to try this out, just for the heck of it.

fattdex
25-01-2007, 05:13
I chucked a beaky killin' unit in my latest 1000 point list-

HQ: Bad Moons Warboss (4# 121 Pts)
1 Bad Moons Warboss
Power Klaw; Kustom MegaBlasta; Ammo Runt; Big Horns/Iron Gob; Bosspole; Cybork Body; Mega Armour
3 Ammo Runt
1 Big Horns/Iron
1 Bosspole
1 Cybork Body
1 Mega Armour

HQ: Big Mek (3#, 61 Pts)
1 Big Mek
Choppa (x1); Kustom Force Field; Grot Oiler; Mekboy's Tool's
1 Kustom Force Field
2 Grot Oiler
1 Mekboy's Tool's

Troops: Flash Gitz (16#, 259 Pts)
15 Flash Gitz
Big Shoota (x4); Shoota (x11); KJ: More Dakka; Nob
1 Kustom Job: More Dakka
1 Nob
Big Shoota; KJ: More Dakka (Squad)

Troops: Flash Gitz (17#, 240 Pts)
15 Flash Gitz
Rokkit Launcha (x4); Shoota (x11); KJ: Blasta; Nob
1 Kustom Job: Blasta
1 Nob
Choppa (x1); Rokkit Launcha; Ammo Runt; Big Horns/Iron Gob; KJ: Blasta (Squad)
1 Ammo Runt
1 Big Horns/Iron Gob

Heavy Support: Battlewagon (1#, 182 Pts)
1 Battlewagon
Bolt on Big Shoota (x5); Twin Linked Big Shootas (x3); Armour Plates; Grot Riggers
1 Armour Plates
1 Grot Riggers

Heavy Support: Looted Vehicle (1#, 137 Pts)
1 Basilisk @ [137] Pts
Earthshaker Cannon; Heavy Bolter (Hull); Indirect Fire; Armour Plates; Grot Riggers
1 Armour Plates
1 Grot Riggers

Total Roster Cost: 1000

Reflex
25-01-2007, 05:14
its good for infultraion in city fight... sewer rats i belive...

Griffin
25-01-2007, 05:16
Bah - who needs AP 2, when you can swarm them with 10000000 sluggas. 4+ for everyone !
WHAAAAAAGH

azimaith
25-01-2007, 05:49
Blastas statistically, will kill more of the orks firing it over marines by quite a bit. Its one of the least favorite ork upgrades on anything thats not in better armor. I might consider it on a warboss with good armor, but not on flash gits, i'd rather use S5.

Feor
25-01-2007, 05:51
Oh boy, 'ere we go. :p

Gerrok
25-01-2007, 05:59
I rarely see the flashers, but my orc friend use to like the one that made it shootier (made it into a assault weapon). That way he could start shooting at 24" instead of 12".

Ravenous
25-01-2007, 06:05
At first glance it seems gross, But now that I think about it what would you really get out of that?

40 shots hitting on 5s. Gets hot on 1 and 2s. hmm.

I'll use rough averages.
11 orks will die from 'gets hot' 13 shots will miss, and 13 will hit and kill 6ish marines. Then there is one more shot in there that will do whatever it likes.

And you need a battlewagon to get them close enough?

It wouldnt be bad against terminators as you would take a fair chunk out of his army in one go. More so if you have a Zzap gun kill a tank in the same turn. Huh looks like they might actually be worth it.

That and they would be good for a laugh.

azimaith
25-01-2007, 06:17
Blastas is there to kill high priced units that rely on their armour save for safety over anything else. Not for general troop destruction. Unfortunately terminators and the like just aren't really *that* common on many table tops.

Ravenous
25-01-2007, 06:45
True not every army runs termies. But I do find every marine army has 5 with 2 assault cannons.

I was just thinking that you could potentially make a battle wagon in a ring shape with a hole in the top. Deploy the squad inside the middle and blast away at the unit in front of the whole. The orks would be protected by the vehicle blocking LOS. and if it got destroyed it would act as 4+ cover.

But that would be down right dirty.

studderigdave
25-01-2007, 08:18
when i run flash gitz, the only upgrade i ever use is more dakka. blasta never even registers to me. i sometimes put blasta on my slugga nobz if i need points filled and im feelin lucky, but thats a rare thing.

Latro_
25-01-2007, 09:20
yea blasta is like mutant firearms, its more dangerous to be firing it than infront of it :P

but to be honest, thats quite orky :P