PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Bretonnia Total Newbie

That Guy
25-01-2007, 05:54
Hi all. Recently I posted on the general forum that I was having trouble picking an army. I now have hte army books for Bretonnia, Lizardmen, and Wood Elves, so will probably make lists for the others too when I get around to it. Anyways, if I start Brets here's how I would plan on doing it and I'd love to hear what you all think.

1 Lord (140) - Shield, heavy armor, Barded Warhorse, Lance

1 Paladin (135) - Battle Standard, Virtue of Duty, War Banner, Barded Warhorse, lance, heavy armor, sheild

1 Damsel (125) - Chalice of Malfleur, dispel scroll, warhorse

1 Damsel (105) - Dispel scroll, warhorse

6 Knights of the Realm (168) - Heavy armor, shield, lance, barded Warhorse, full command

6 Knights of the Realm (168) - Heavy armor, shield, lance, barded Warhorse, full command

30 Men at Arms (177) - Light armor, sheilds, spears, full command

30 Men at Arms (177) - Light armor, sheilds, spears, full command

1 Trebuchet (90)

4 Pegasus Knights (220) - Heavy armor, shield, lance, gallant

Total: (1841)

This list is intentionally short on points, because I really have no idea what to do. I think my general should have magic items, but I don't know which ones. Any suggestions? Any suggestions at all on the list would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to 7th edition (left the game at the start of 6th) so I am completely impressionable.

Vattendroppe
25-01-2007, 09:27
Well, I've got an idea of an experimental lord for brets, never seen anyone but me playing it. The problem with it is that it costs 226 pts so you need to cover it up good (I've placed it in a unit of 11 KotR). The idea of it is to win challanges since it may reroll mosts of the dice in challanges and enemies can't refuse to challange it. The full entry of it can be seen in my thread here (Brets led by challenging lord I think I called it), he's pretty interresting to play with.

And I wouldn't go with the two wizards if they're lvl 1, better to have one lvl 2 dispelscroll-caddie. At least that's my experience. But i haven't got the armybook here, so I cannot check the magical items up. I dunno if the small sized KotR units will work either, I play them as few, big groups instead.

You can spend the rest of your pts on a little group of grailknights perhaps, but they often need some sort of protection. GTG now, maybe will complete the post later.

DesertDirge
25-01-2007, 16:12
drop a unit of KOTR.. drop a damsel.. buy 4 Grail knights and give your lord the Grail Virtue.

That Guy
25-01-2007, 16:44
I have the two damsels because as it stands I get five dispel dice plus my two lead units of Knights get MR (1), which I feel would make my opponant's magic pretty ineffective against me. Are you saying that that much protection is overkill? Also, I'm weary of having a Damsel in a position where she can effectively cast; I feel like she is best used by giving her magical protection to a unit and perhaps using spells that don't need LoS. Am I wrong about this?

Grail Knights seem really good, but also really expensive. If I took them, I'd definately have the Damsel ride with them for the MR and hide them from warmachines. I kind of feel like having my Lord ride with them would be a little overkill; keeping him independent to add to combat as needed keeps him flexible? Maybe? Like I said, I'm new at this.

The Dueling Lord sound interesting, but how effective is that in regard to combat resolution? Challenges are fun and fluffy, but against an enemy with a superior rank bonus it makes me a little nervous.

Also, the units are small so that they're easier to manuever and keep out of LoS of warmachines and the like. I would always attempt to charge with two units.

Thanks for the comments!

Vattendroppe
25-01-2007, 17:41
The Dueling Lord sound interesting, but how effective is that in regard to combat resolution? Challenges are fun and fluffy, but against an enemy with a superior rank bonus it makes me a little nervous.

Also, the units are small so that they're easier to manuever and keep out of LoS of warmachines and the like. I would always attempt to charge with two units.

The smaller unit-thinking might work out well, never worked for me though... Maybe not my kinda thinkin.

The rank-bonus works for me since I've got him in a regiment of 12 models. Challanges are indeed funny (with this guy especially), if your opponent answers with a lord/heroe you will like beat the crap out of him (I've beaten fully armoured black orc warbosses on wyverns with this dude), if he answers with a champion you gains 2-3 overkill most of the times... They can't do bo hiss against him, that's the funny thing!

Dunno what I was going to complete my earlier post with, so I'll just leave that out.