PDA

View Full Version : Index Xenos: Jokaero

Minister
16-07-2005, 12:41
This was posted some time ago on Portent, yet with its demise and questions being asked of this race I thought it apropriate to re-initiate the sending of this document. This is a blend of the various (mostly RT-era) sources and my own speculation and interpritation. Enjoy.

Index Xenos: Jokaero

Physical characteristics
The Jokaero resemble in physical form the orangutans which once roamed ancient Terra. They are heavy-set, ape-like creatures who are generally slightly more massive than a human and with slightly greater strength. It should also be noted that the males are significantly larger than the females (average adult male being 1.8m, 120KG, average adult female being 1.6m, 100KG). Their fur, which covers most of the body, is generally an orange-brown, although some family groups have fur which is nearly blood red and some have coloration approaching fawn. Their vision is only marginally more acute than that of humans, although it is suspected that they have a slight ability to see into the ultra-violet and infra-red ends of the EM spectrum. Senses of taste, smell and hearing are little different than that of humans. They are also noted to have greater manual dexterity than most humans, and a more defined tactile sense.

The most amazing thing about the Jokaero is their technical brilliance – they appear to have an innate, genetically structured understanding of technology. Given sufficient pieces of battered machinery, a group of Jokaero can make almost anything, from a spaceship to a lascannon. In the same way as an Ork Mekboy has the innate skill to construct anything from a crude ‘slugga’ projectile weapon to a dangerous but destructive plasma weapon any Jokaero can build devices the equal of the galaxy’s most technologically advanced races.

The Jokaero are the most famous as the creators of Digital weapons, although the Imperium has developed its own, cruder versions. Their other technology shows similar traits. An excellent example is a rifle-sized plasma weapon recovered from the corpse of a Jokaero raider on Nimbula VII. To provide similar range, hitting power and armour penetrating abilities an Imperial weapon of this type would have to be an infantry heavy or vehicle mounted weapon, and would still then have a recharge time closer to a minute rather than the 0.48 seconds needed for the Jokaero weapon.

The origin of their remarkable aptitude with technology remains a mystery, although many theorise that it is a result of genetic tampering in the distant past, perhaps by the ancient Slann. What makes this aptitude even more remarkable is their otherwise primitive culture. The Jokaero seem to live in primitive family units, with no discernible goal other than the continued survival of the family. If they are capable of communication with other species then they make no attempt to do so. Their only contact with others is combat, either to gain access to food or materials or to defend against an attacker.

Jokaero wear little or no clothing, their thick skin and fur being capable of protecting them from the cold and wet. If they do wear anything it will either be a harness suitable for carrying equipment or a fully enclosing suit for hostile environments. They almost never wear armour, preferring instead to rely upon various energy fields for protection.

First Contact
The first recorded encounter between humans and Jokaero was nearly 10,000 years ago on Vastmair, then a frontier world. An isolated farming community came under attack from a group of Jokaero numbering around a dozen. Several of the residents opened fire on the aliens, but those that did were annihilated (often along with anything else within quite a large radius). The survivors fled, fearing for their lives, to inform the PDF. By the time a mechanised company had arrived on the scene there was no sign of the aliens, although there were a large number of missing items ranging from pistols and farming machinery to a fully functional counter-grav transport.

This incident has, to an extent, established the pattern for all further Jokaero raids. Usually they will single out a lone station, a farmstead or a distant mining ship as their target, attacking, looting and making good their escape before they attract retaliatory actions. It is impossible to argue or reason with a Jokaero. Even giving them what they want is difficult since they are incapable of communicating. Those who retreat from the scene and do nothing to provoke them are for the most part ignored. Those who attack elicit a heavy response.

Combat Capabilities
The Jokaero’s technology should never be underestimated. Their innate skill means that they will almost always be ideally armed for the situation in hand. Their tactics and field co-ordination are quite advanced, and they will often be able to outwit an opponent as well as out-gun them. All Jokaero share an aversion to close combat, being most unwilling to engage their foes in melee. They do not use vehicles to the same extent as most other races, but those they do use are well armed and usually protected with energy shields. Their space vessels are similarly advanced, their open frame shapes holding in atmosphere using sophisticated energy fields and their weapons and defensive systems constantly being rebuilt to meet the situation in hand.

Their collective responsibility towards the group is one of their few failings, along with their ineptitude with and aversion to close combat. Jokaero will always attempt to keep the family safe, and will not hold ground under heavy fire, making holding against them less difficult if enough casualties can be inflicted early on.

Technology
As has been emphasised above, the Jokaero technology is almost beyond compare. They appear to favour energy weapons for the most part, with plasma and laser weapons being the most popular. They seldom use simple explosives, their projectile weapons instead producing assorted field effects or containing sophisticated neurotoxins. They also make occasional use of warp technology on the battlefield, including vortex grenades and missiles as well as weapons resembling the Eldar’s D-cannon and Wraith-cannon. The famed Digital Weapons (the size of a ring and wearable on the finger, but with the power of a full-sized pistol) are popular as a backup weapon.

Unlike the Eldar, Tau and other races with highly advanced technology, the Jokareo’s devices do not possess any great elegance of form, nor do they feature any aesthetic features or iconography. Indeed their works often appear cobbled together, with the working parts and components plainly visible.

Threat Index and Imperial Policy
Whilst the threat presented by the Jokaero to any specific isolated Imperial holding should not be underestimated, they seldom attack anything of great import. There is therefore no specific campaign to eradicate them. However, those local commanders bothered by groups of Jokaero are at liberty to attack to either eliminate them or drive them away.

Several attempts to use the Jokaero have been made by the Inquisition’s Orido Xenos and the Adeptus Mechanicus, but getting anything helpful from them has proved largely impossible. They tend to build things which meet their own immediate needs. Attempts at capturing Jokaero and compelling them to work can have disastrous effects – they build things with which to escape.

Social Structure
As mentioned above the Jokaero live in familial units. These tend to be fairly small, around twenty being typical, and lead by a matriarchal or patriarchal figure. Families will often band together, either to combine resources for mutual gain or to attack a target to large for any single group, but such groupings are usually only temporary. Regardless of any other bond made, a Jokaero’s loyalty will always lie with his own family.

Their comprehension of astrophysics is baffling, they seem able to tap power-currents which flow imperceptibly through the galaxy. Their understanding of such matters goes far beyond that of even the most advanced of other known races, with the possible exception of the Great Mages of the Slann. Jokaero spacecraft are a case in point. A Jokaero spacecraft looks like no other form of space transport, consisting entirely of an open framed lattice structure, forming a unique polyhedral shape. This structure draws energy from the galactic power-currents simply by virtue of its shape, in a similar way to which force weapons channel psychic energy by virtue of their spiral patterns. Jokaero spacecraft move, manoeuvre , and transcend warp-space by means of making physical changes to the ship’s shape, thereby altering the craft’s relationship to the universal powers it employs, and modifying its place in the natural galactic order.

Puffin Magician
16-07-2005, 23:41
This is beeeautiful. It's great to see some old fluff again, and I still laugh at this:

Attempts at capturing Jokaero and compelling them to work can have disastrous effects – they build things with which to escape.
These are definitely one of the most interesting Scifi races I've ever read about.

It's now got me jotting down ideas for a 40k Codex [similar to the small-scaled intentions of the Harlequin .pdf]... damn you Minister, I have enough big plans already.

TenTailedCat
16-07-2005, 23:46
I had always imagined these guys as sor tof like the Librarian from discworld, i don't know why, it's just: Orangutan > Librarian, obviously.

Now I read it they certainly seem more warlike, I wonder if they were inspired by that big hairy thing from Star Wars, I seem to remember it could fix that ship pretty well, couldn't it?
Anyway, these guys would be cool for a community based codex project, it'd be nice to get the 40k guys here working together on something.

He Who Laughs
17-07-2005, 07:24
Anyway, these guys would be cool for a community based codex project, it'd be nice to get the 40k guys here working together on something.

After reading ministers treatise on Jokaero - it's rather obvious that a full blown Codex is completely contradictory to established fluff - but I think a small Jokaero "raiders" list could fit in nicely, something useable only in Kill-Team / Combat Patrol sized games. If theres enough interest in it, I'm keen to help out on an community based Codex: Jokaero - count me in!

TenTailedCat
17-07-2005, 10:01
Well yeah, somethign along those lines, I wasn't suggesting a full blown army list, rather something smaller like Harlequins or the like.

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-07-2005, 11:26
Well, since a large family group would be 30 Jokaero, and they rarely band up together, but if they did you might get up to 60 Jokaero, I seriously doubt you would be able to play much more than 1000pts games at the most. So thinking up rules for the Jokareo, their weapons, and their leader would be about it for the list.

He Who Laughs
17-07-2005, 13:05
Well, we've got a bit of interest - sounds like this could be a bit of fun. I normaly avoid fan-based Codices, preferring the "counts as" method - but I reckon their might be something in this. See you all over the the R&D Forums... Codex: Jokaero (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6716)

Minister
18-07-2005, 01:04
Glad to spark an idea.

Note that the more militant side is not my idea, although I have fleshed it out a bit as it would be an area of prime concern to the authors and readers of an Index: Xenos in the 40K universe itself.

EDIT: Aagh! Whyfore with the blue and the loged out on the new window opened for the discussion of hte Codex?!?! :cries:

-Ed
18-07-2005, 01:19
Well, since a large family group would be 30 Jokaero, and they rarely band up together, but if they did you might get up to 60 Jokaero, I seriously doubt you would be able to play much more than 1000pts games at the most. So thinking up rules for the Jokareo, their weapons, and their leader would be about it for the list.

In an 1850 game I could probably field an entire marine company and maybe 160 guardsmen. Not only would it be unrealistic for an entire marine company to take the field at once, it wouldn't be against a mere 160 guardsmen. Ideally, guardsmen'd cost about .75-1 point each and in game marines would all be movie marines.

Minister
18-07-2005, 01:30
In an 1850 game I could probably field an entire marine company and maybe 160 guardsmen. Not only would it be unrealistic for an entire marine company to take the field at once, it wouldn't be against a mere 160 guardsmen. Ideally, guardsmen'd cost about .75-1 point each and in game marines would all be movie marines.
Ideally, everyone would ignore the entirley broken Inquisitor aspect and read the bits of the fluff which give a more reasonable representation. If the Guard were like in Gaunt's Ghosts then every Hardned Veteran would be BS 5 and have 4 wounds, but that's not true to the style either.

And in an ideal game, everyone would have to paint a 2000 point army of Orks, Guard or 'Nids before being allowed to even look at anything else.

anarchistica
18-07-2005, 02:38
If the Guard were like in Gaunt's Ghosts then every Hardned Veteran would be BS 5 and have 4 wounds, but that's not true to the style either.
Er...how do you explain main characters constantly getting killed off? Though of course Abnett, like all BL writers, sometimes raises the top before going over it, but only a handful of Tanith 1st really are "über" Imperial Guardians.

On topic: Amusing stuff. They seem to be the 40K version of the A-Team. Those guys could make a tank using just a bike, 2 rubber bands and a piece of rope too. ^^

Minister
19-07-2005, 00:19
Er...how do you explain main characters constantly getting killed off? Though of course Abnett, like all BL writers, sometimes raises the top before going over it, but only a handful of Tanith 1st really are "über" Imperial Guardians.Massed fire, heavy weapons and the foe's champaions, or just a few salvoes and pure dumb luck. Which is prettey much how you kill special hcaracters in 40K too...

Sorry, you cought me in an unusually grumpy mood.

Xisor
19-07-2005, 00:41
I don't know why for sure, but I really don't think Jokaero warrant their own army in 40k. The fluff, even as Minister put it, is quite 'random', or at least unpredictable on our part.

Now, the Demiurg, *there* is something you lot should be devoting your time to 'fan dexing'. Like me :p

Seriously though, the Index Xenos here is quite good, but I have trouble with the terminology 'Ancient Slann', they haven't been mentioned as ancient, or as precursors/creators of anything since second edition IIRC. Swap it to the Old Ones and it makes perfect sense. Also, in the note about the lack of aesthetics and iconography associated with jokaero constructions, I feel it would be pertinant to mention a variety of races, not simply Eldar/Tau. Or rather: "Much unlike other technologically advanced races(c.ref. Man, Eldar, Tau, Demiurg, Xenarc, Fra'al amongst others)" if only to add depth to the IX rather than for any 'obscure' reason.

Xisor

Minister
19-07-2005, 00:55
The Demiurg themselves are a very functional race as far as design is concerned, it is merley that they tend to armour everything as much as possible. However, I will concede this point.

The change to Old Ones is reasonable also.