PDA

View Full Version : New List

Red_Lep
26-01-2007, 03:01
Would this list be effective?

Heroes- 119

Warrior Priest- 119 (Goes in Greatswords)
~Armor of Meteoric Iron
~Two-Handed Hammer:evilgrin:
.................................................. ..............................
Core- 170

2x Swordsmen(10)- 85
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
~Duelist
.................................................. ..............................
Special- 208

Greatswords(14)- 158
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
2x Free Company Detachments(5)- 25
Total- 497

Makarion
26-01-2007, 08:27
Looks good, although for a purist there would be questions about the background story: greatswords are the elite guard of nobles.

I would be tempted to replace the greatswords with a cavalry unit (all three are good), put the WP in a block of swordsmen, and use spare points from the greatswords to make sure you have at least 15 swordsmen per block.

Personally, at 500 points I field generally 1 warrior priest, 20+19 swordsmen plus a small detachment, and 10 handgunners. Or a captain instead of the WP and the detachment, a cannon instead of handgunners...

Red_Lep
26-01-2007, 19:46
Looks good, although for a purist there would be questions about the background story: greatswords are the elite guard of nobles.

I would be tempted to replace the greatswords with a cavalry unit (all three are good), put the WP in a block of swordsmen, and use spare points from the greatswords to make sure you have at least 15 swordsmen per block.

Personally, at 500 points I field generally 1 warrior priest, 20+19 swordsmen plus a small detachment, and 10 handgunners. Or a captain instead of the WP and the detachment, a cannon instead of handgunners...

True, but I was thinking that the Greatswords unit was just a "gift"(for lack of a better word) for his aide and the background was just something I was doin' for fun and not to tell everybody else.

Makarion
26-01-2007, 19:51
The more I think of it, the more I would be tempted to drop one of the units and buff up the remaining two. With detachments, you will already have a remarkably wide infantry frontage for the point totals involved.

Maybe replace one of the free company detachments with a ranged combat one. Archers, although weak on the damage front, are able to shoot on the move and can screen your units, and handgunners are quite able to thin ranks enough to strip your opponent of some static CR, even with just 5 of them. Crossbowmen, although I like them, are probably the least useful of the three as a detachment.

Red_Lep
26-01-2007, 20:40
I could replace one of the detachments with a ranged unit but I think if I mess with it a little I could drop the detachments and duelists and add a rank to the swordmen, would that be a good trade off?

Morph
28-01-2007, 01:15
A warrior priest in 500 points? Whilst the hatred is helpful his prayers will not be. He casts one a turn, power level 4. The enmy gets 2 dispel dice to stop it, not too difficult. Take a hero with same equipment. Use the spare points to bulk up the swords.

Red_Lep
28-01-2007, 03:10
I would swap the Priest for a different character but I was originally planning to make a themed army but now am probably just gunna make a normal army but still use WP because they are what drew me to Empire. I got rid of the detachments and duelists to make the Swordsmen 15 strong though.

MarcoPollo
28-01-2007, 07:30
I think that you should invest in some speed. Maybe some huntsmen or pistoliers. Having that threat on the flanks can be pretty intimidating. They are a great price and you can keep them from getting shot up if you use archers to screen your flanking maneuvers for part of the way.

As for a hero, use a captain with rod of command and a long bow. Have him travel with some archers protecting the advance of your main units. When he is charged have some counter charges ready.

Red_Lep
28-01-2007, 16:10
I think that you should invest in some speed. Maybe some huntsmen or pistoliers. Having that threat on the flanks can be pretty intimidating. They are a great price and you can keep them from getting shot up if you use archers to screen your flanking maneuvers for part of the way.

As for a hero, use a captain with rod of command and a long bow. Have him travel with some archers protecting the advance of your main units. When he is charged have some counter charges ready.

I am going to add pistoliers or outriders(ccan't decide which) at a higher points level where it won't make my other units suffer. As far as the captain, if you read my previous post you'll see that I want a WP because they are what interested me in Empire and they may not be as useful but still fill the part nicely, in my opinion.

DeathlessDraich
28-01-2007, 16:58
Pistoliers definitely.
If you include a Priest, then add a Flaggellant unit - 16 or so in a 500 pt. battle will be intimidating and very effective.

Red_Lep
28-01-2007, 17:26
Pistoliers definitely.
If you include a Priest, then add a Flaggellant unit - 16 or so in a 500 pt. battle will be intimidating and very effective.

I originally planned to but was warned 16 no armor WS2 troops would die fast and would loose alot of points.

DeathlessDraich
28-01-2007, 21:11
Not if you combine them with fast units e.g. Pistoliers - at 500 pts, it's unlikely there will be more than 20 shots per round. Shelter them from shooting until some units are within charging distance of the shooters then expose them and the shooting will have to be divided

Morph
28-01-2007, 23:53
If you like WPs then go for it. I'm also a fan of their background, but I've kept off using them until I can get two in an army.

MattKienbaum
29-01-2007, 20:01
I would drop the greatswords for a unit of 5 outriders (15 shoots BS4 range 24) this will make them the big target so give them barding. set up you 2 core units to guard their flanks and let the enemy come to you. the WP extra despel dice will help against magic even if his prayers are unlickly to go off. The outriders should also leave you a few points to beef up your other units.

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 21:43
replace one of the free company with some archers or something.

Red_Lep
29-01-2007, 22:13
replace one of the free company with some archers or something.

I've already made changes, that list is old.