PDA

View Full Version : The "least" played chaos legion?

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 05:52
What started as an idea, and thus became a dream, now i think its more of a calling. I got in the the thought of a choas legion. But have already started a loyist marine army and thought to start a 'nid to face so a friend might come over and have a couple pitched battles. But the ideas of painting a Deamon Prince shunk in.

So what do you think I should?

Vedar
26-01-2007, 06:06
My guess would be world bearers. Most people don't play chaos to play pink horrors or nuglings.

i_devouer
26-01-2007, 06:13
i agree with vedar. in my area it is word bearers that are least played

devolutionary
26-01-2007, 06:40
My guess would be world bearers. Most people don't play chaos to play pink horrors or nuglings.

Neither do most Word Bearer players ;)

Word Bearers are fairly uncommon. I've never seen a Night Lords army though.

ReDavide
26-01-2007, 06:52
I've seen a Night Lords army. The theme is cool, but this guy (and I expect too many others) went the infiltrating-havocs-of-cover-save-doom route, which just doesn't seem in theme at all.

But then again, playing rhino-rushing Thousand Sons myself, I probably shouldn't criticize others about fluff :p

I think the only legion I have never even seen, let alone played against, is the Alpha Legion.

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 06:54
Hmmm converting my loyists in to some what word bearers. Or i could simply paint over the black, and bring up my reds that are already on the armour. Red hands and legs, and anything with "wings"; with the rest of the body being black.

Gerrok
26-01-2007, 07:14
Hmm, let me rank them the way that I've seen:

1. Black legion - catch all for home brewed legions
2. Iron warriors - powerful
3. Plague marines - their popularity ebbs and flows a lot
4. Noise marines - probably the most balanced out of the cult lists
5. Khorne marines - not terribly overwhelming, but has a lot of flavor
6. Word bearers - only a few players, but it's a tough list
7. Thousand sons - rare list, usually only see it in lower point games
8. Alpha legion - very rare. I've seen a few infiltrate + furious charge armies
9. Night lords - I have never seen one, even though stealth adept is great (and night sight is free). Most chaos players want to use daemons, and very few would ever trade heavy support slots for fast attack. Other then stealth adept, the only thing you gain is more raptors, but almost everyone would rather use bikes over raptors (better shooting and higher toughness).

Gerrok
26-01-2007, 07:23
I've seen a Night Lords army. The theme is cool, but this guy (and I expect too many others) went the infiltrating-havocs-of-cover-save-doom route, which just doesn't seem in theme at all.

I was looking at that myself. Night lords look like the 2nd best choice for a "sit in cover and shoot the enemy with a bunch of havocs" army, behind the iron warriors. But I can also see why this route is a little unpopular, since it leaves you choosing between tank hunters, infiltrate, and the mark of chaos undivided.

I guess all in all night lords is a confused legion.

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 07:28
With alpha legion least i could use my scouts as cultists.

Tensor
26-01-2007, 08:17
I was looking at that myself. Night lords look like the 2nd best choice for a "sit in cover and shoot the enemy with a bunch of havocs" army, behind the iron warriors. But I can also see why this route is a little unpopular, since it leaves you choosing between tank hunters, infiltrate, and the mark of chaos undivided.

I guess all in all night lords is a confused legion.

As a night lords player (yes! we exist!) I can say that actually its easy: havocs = tank hunters / stealth with autocannons, cc units = MoCU / infiltrate, las plas support squads = stealth only. You want your furies turning up near the front line.

The real question is what to put on the raptors - MoCU / Infiltrate or MoCU / Furious Charge?

DeathStrike
26-01-2007, 09:23
I'd say Thousand sons - difficult to play, word bearers and Night lords as already mentioned, alpha legion as well!!

Scythe
26-01-2007, 09:28
Night Lords. I think I have never seen an army of them, let alone played against them, tough word bearers are pretty rare as well.

Sarigar
26-01-2007, 09:36
A pure Emperor's Children army is the least common I've seen. This may have something to do with the amount of bits one needs for sonic blasters and blastmasters.

Tyron
26-01-2007, 09:43
Melchiah - I have loyalist Marines, and using them as Imperial and Traitor (Iron Warriors). Its legal, saves you buying a whole new army an I used a techmarine (converted ofc) as my warsmith.

With World Bearers all you would need is to buy some daemons, maybe a combat squad so you can convert some nice summoners and your sorted.

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 09:58
Ya but i have this huge urge to convert them.

Tyron
26-01-2007, 10:44
Depends what you want to convert, CSM are not all about spikes and dead bodies (which most people seem to think), a few different conversions n a few MArines should be good enough to make them look loya or traitor.

crandall87
26-01-2007, 12:08
I think night lords were common in the last edition due to them being on the front of ebery chaos box. I started with them guys myself. I love the colour scheme.

Captain Stuart
26-01-2007, 14:47
I've played both Night Lords and Alpha Legion. One of our group plays Alpha Legion so I quit playing. We used to have a Word Bearer's player back in 3rd ed.

People complain if you go shooty Night Lords as being untrue to the background. I don't buy it, but there you go. I prefer AL and NL simply because one doesn't need all the spikes and daemonic mutations. One can really throw on space marine and bionic bits for their Codex boosts.

My experience is Word Bearers being the least encountered.

Zedric
26-01-2007, 14:57
I think the bat wing helms really turn off a lot of folks to the Night Lords.

UncleCrazy
26-01-2007, 15:06
Red Corsairs are not a legion per say, but are also lumped in to the chaos too. Those are Rogue Marines or marines turned pirate. The are shown in normal SM colors such as Blood Angels and Space Wolves but with a red line through the imperial stuff. Look in 2nd ed chaos rule book for info

Getz
26-01-2007, 15:58
Personally I've seen all the legions used except the Alpha Legion, but I think it's fair to say that the Death Guard, World Eaters, Iron Warriors and Black Legion are common whereas Word Bearers, Emperors Children crop up regularly and the Alpha Legion, Night Lords and Thouand Sons are rare.

squiggoth
26-01-2007, 20:36
Neither do most Word Bearer players ;)

Word Bearers are fairly uncommon. I've never seen a Night Lords army though.

A guy at our club has Alpha Legion, Night Lords and (IIRC) some WIP Word Bearers.
Emperor's Children, Black Legion, Sons of Malal and World Eaters are very rare here, but I don't believe they're unplayed in the rest of the world. And let's not start about Iron Warriors. ;)
Alpha Legion is the single Chaos Legion I never see mentioned on forums or played in real life, apart from the army of this guy at the FLGS.

ReDavide
26-01-2007, 20:42
Red Corsairs are not a legion per say, but are also lumped in to the chaos too. Those are Rogue Marines or marines turned pirate.

Good point. If you want to go for a truly rare army, use one of the chapters on page 76: Red Corsairs, The Pyre, Steel Cobras, Children of Purgatos, Warp Ghosts, Extinction Angels, Violators, Damned Company of Lord Caustos, or Sons of Malice.

I'm surprised that Word Bearers are rare. They seem to crop up regularly over in the tactics forums. I guess they suffer from Thousand Sons syndrome - there aren't a whole lot of players, but the ones there are are very loud. :p

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 20:44
Red Corsairs are not a legion per say, but are also lumped in to the chaos too. Those are Rogue Marines or marines turned pirate. The are shown in normal SM colors such as Blood Angels and Space Wolves but with a red line through the imperial stuff. Look in 2nd ed chaos rule book for info

I had thought about Red Corsairs for awhile. Never liked the painted ones in the choas book. I as ging to do them in there red,black. colours but said no cuz they look like my loyists. But now i forget how they looked in the AI they were menched in.

Storm Ghost
26-01-2007, 20:52
I think the most uncommon army would be the Thousand Sons. And the most common army is world bearers (or was it world eaters) because everybody loves the khorne berzerkas.

Melchiah
26-01-2007, 21:01
Ya, your thinking of the World Eaters.

studderigdave
26-01-2007, 21:30
in my area i see the following: deathguard (me) deathguard x2, iron warriors, alpha legion x2, world eaters.

Melchiah
27-01-2007, 05:55
Which is better suite for using the Red Corsairs? codex SM or CSM?

Gerrok
27-01-2007, 06:26
Which is better suite for using the Red Corsairs? codex SM or CSM?

The player in my store who plays something similiar to red corsairs uses both codexes. Sometimes he will show up with land speeders and whirlwinds, other times he will use his daemon prince and obliterators. Overall, it allowed him to collect the core of 2 armies at the same time, and all he has to do is get the unique things in each list.

From a 'fluff' standpoint this is pretty accurate, since red corsair type armies would start off with thier imperial equipment, but it would slowly degrade until they had only the most reliable and easilly repaired stuff.

It's also fun to game against, because you avoid the 'marine on marine' or 'chaos on chaos' games. He can always change up so that you have a 'chaos on marine', or in my case a 'chaos on grey knight' game.

gkjester
27-01-2007, 06:36
I play Alpha Legion, so I'm going to have to say Night Lords or Thousand Sons. They're the only Chaos legions I haven't seen or played against.

Reflex
27-01-2007, 07:00
THousand sons... easy.. not only are they not played, they are not played for a good reason... they are a poor army.. thats if they are completly by them selves...

Zubb
27-01-2007, 07:36
Night Lords i'd say.

Though we have all of the Legions in Moscow they are least played/succesful.

1000 sons are only played by realy good veteran players who like to prove that they can trash any1 with anything.
Alpha Legion is pretty tought (60+ marines 12"-18" from your lines on turn1 try shoot 'em).
Word Bearers go daemon-bomb (the last 1 I played had 6 units of daemonets and 1 unit of letters).
Night Lords enjoy their cover save, yes, but i can't see anything scary/hardlybeateble in it.
Offspring of the Emperor ... they generaly make mistake relaying on the siren 2 much. It alll goes bad if they met a runed FS or SM Librarian. they make a nice deamonbomb 2.
World Eaters. Needs very expiernced player to work well. But in any way it is a fun army to play.
Death Guard. I can't see the point of thier popularity. Nice, fluffy, to expensive for Infil-death. Alpha does it better.
IW hard chaps, but every good player knows by heart what his army should then playing IW, the are just 2 common.
BL - can do anything u want, good for displaying Red Corsars list.

AventineCrusader
27-01-2007, 09:37
Night Lords are the only Legion not represented in my area, so from my point of view, they are the rarest. Although now one person has a NL army in the conceptual phase. His take? 40 infiltrating,decked-out Raptors, a few stealthy las/plas squads, and a couple of infiltrating/D.Speed HQs in 2000 points:( ...

Crusader

Vaktathi
27-01-2007, 10:39
A guy at our club has Alpha Legion, Night Lords and (IIRC) some WIP Word Bearers.
Emperor's Children, Black Legion, Sons of Malal and World Eaters are very rare here, but I don't believe they're unplayed in the rest of the world. And let's not start about Iron Warriors. ;)
Alpha Legion is the single Chaos Legion I never see mentioned on forums or played in real life, apart from the army of this guy at the FLGS.

Sons of Malal?

I know of the Chaos God Malal, but I've never heard any army related to him.

AventineCrusader
27-01-2007, 11:00
I believe he means Sons of Malice, a rogue space marine chapter with obvious strong ties to the long deceased Chaos God Malal...

Crusader

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
27-01-2007, 11:17
Night Lords i'd say.

As Night Lord's player i have to disagree :)

Alpha Legion i'd say :)

Alessander
27-01-2007, 14:51
I've seen people use Necromunda gangers as cultists.

I've seen one world bearers army, it was fun to play against. The number of bloodletters and flamers was insane. Plus, he kept generating chaos spawn to send at me... not fun.

xibo
27-01-2007, 21:46
At my club we have:
6 World Eaters
3 Black Legion
2 Death Guard ( plus 1 mutants/demonic nurgle LatD )
2 Iron Warriors
1 Thousand Sons ( plus 2 demonic LatD tzeentch armies )
1 Word Bearers
1 Night Lords

No EC and no Alpha Legion

El_Phen
28-01-2007, 10:36
I only know of one person who plays Thousand Sons. Though, round here at least, Alpha Legion aren't too popular either.

Storm Ghost
28-01-2007, 11:10
I don't blame people for hating 1000 sons, they don't have any heavy weapons!!!!! Me personlaly cannot live without a couple of heavy weapons. They do have some really good psycic powers though...

Rioghan Murchadha
28-01-2007, 11:56
I don't blame people for hating 1000 sons, they don't have any heavy weapons!!!!! Me personlaly cannot live without a couple of heavy weapons. They do have some really good psycic powers though...

Erm.. no, not really they don't.. the only real 'unique' psychic power 1k sons have is bolt of change, and all that is, is a S8 lascannon, rather than the S9 of the actual lascannon. It still has to be used in the shooting phase in place of other shooting, and still requires a roll to hit. Not only that, it can in fact, be completely nullified when shooting at battle sisters.

In fact, other than wind of chaos, the major psychic powers pretty much just mimic some of the heavy weapons that the 1k sons can't field.

That said, I still love 'em.

Timber_Wolf
28-01-2007, 13:00
id say, alpha legion and night lords, too.
im the only al player around here and never met an other on tournies and such, but at least, i see on this and other forums that there are quite a lot legion players...
night lords, on the other hand, ive neither seen / met a player playing them or at least an army list on any forum that seems to be effective and fluffy (raptors, bikes and such stuff, not the havoc-cover-of-death)

Squallish
28-01-2007, 14:09
I've seen played: Emperor's Children, Thousand Sons (not mine), World Eaters, Word Bearers, Black Legion (mine), Deathguard

Never seen: Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion

Rhyskalor
28-01-2007, 15:56
Night Lords. I think I have never seen an army of them, let alone played against them, tough word bearers are pretty rare as well.

The same over here in Germany. I have seen all other 8 major legions on the table top, but never ever a Night Lords army.
The reasons for that are imho the combination of these funky winged helmets, the not so much developed fluff and the not so strong rules.