PDA

View Full Version : Getting distorted Nurgle info.

Str10_hurts
16-07-2005, 16:14
Nurgle; when this pops in mind you think slimy and dissease.
Great but why would any one be lured to Nurge?

Father nurgle is (in comparison to other chaos gods) a pretty nice guy, got humor rewards his followers most of the time and keeps you alive when you got a bad dissease.

The last part was in my opinion found from scraps of old back ground. could anyone tell me more what this gods realy about, or help find info?

Note: I realy hate kids that think of nugle only as slimy.

Lord-Warlock
16-07-2005, 16:19
Nurgle's main crowd of worshippers - amongst them the Death Guard, most of them anyway - turn to him when destined to die from disease yet so willing to stay alive that they consider selling their soul to the devil. The Grandfather always was the odd one out - you don't think "ooh, I'll join Nurgle", you do so because it's the lesser of multiple evils and later turns to an unbelievable asset. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Talkie Toaster
16-07-2005, 19:27
The more detailed background seems to suggest it's more about trying to drag everyone else down to your level when the world screws you over, there's a bit about it in the Watered Down Chaos thread.

Jal'knock
16-07-2005, 20:09
Why go for Nurgle? He is the down and out end all of the gods that people go to. He is there for those who have nothing left but death. Also for those who want to become even more dangerous and spread disease, death and corruption on scales larger than most can imagine, Papa Nurgle will always be there for them. After all, Typhus joined him without any original disease and saw the potential for untold power. When disease and pestilence run rampant, Nurgle is at his pinnacle, and that must happen alot.

The pestilent 1
16-07-2005, 22:05
Nurgle is the god who people follow for on of three reasons. (that i can fathom anyhow)

1: the damn wimps. those who turn to him because they have no other way out. Because they are dying, and want a saviour. it is these who are, i feel, the ones Nurgle "picks on"
ie: the Death guard.

2: Those who lust for power.
They see a potential power, Death and despair is a constant, with life comes death, with Sentience comes despair.
who doesnt want to be able to tap into a stream of limitless power. :evilgrin:
ie: Typhus.

3: Those who turn because they desire, nay need vengance or other such emotional closure.
those who would sacrafice everything to tear down civilisation to revel in the ruins.
those who turn because they feel the only way to escape despair and decay, is to embrace it.
ie: errr. well, it makes sense to me, so ie:me.

edit: "the lord of lost heart" seems to apply to that last one.

Kiro
16-07-2005, 23:14
I came to the same conclusion of what others have posted; that is, I don't see any way in which Nurgle is "attractive" as a God to follow, more rather he seems like the only one who can help you when in a rut. Then, again, why can't Tzeentch or Slaanesh help? I'm sure they could use their powers to get rid of disease, Tzeentch at least....

Lord-Warlock
16-07-2005, 23:20
Well, decay is Nurgle's domain, and dying is the prelude to decay. And there's another crowd of worshippers - those who feel that society itself is dying and let that belief colour their life (to be brutal, Goths).

Decius
17-07-2005, 01:20
Ever seen Fight Club? I see Nurgle's philosophy simmilar to that. Those are the reasons that some one would want to join Nurgle. I'd like to explain it further, but I'm short on time right now.

x-esiv-4c
17-07-2005, 05:09
Also, Nurgle is the embodiment of entropy, one of the universes' few constants. Everything will decay into a chaotic state, you use more energy to place things in order rather then just leaving them. Nurgle embraces this concept, the disease is just one facet of Nurgle.

Shadowheart
17-07-2005, 05:32
To understand Chaos worshippers I think it's better to imagine Chaos in your own life, rather than picture yourself in 40K (or Fantasy). If the Chaos gods represent universal forces they should fit in in our daily lives.

The way I see it, Nurgle offers release, he will give you the strength, the ability to cast off all sense of morality and desire, to relish in blissful apathy. Think of all the time people spend worrying about one thing or another. About getting good grades in school, getting into a good college, finding a good job, keeping the job. About the way they look, what other people think of them, whether they're normal, popular enough. About relationships, sex, the future, the meaning of life, about terrorism and the economy. Don't you ever wonder if it's actually worth all that?

It's like the opening of Trainspotting, except where Renton, instead of choosing life took heroin, you'd give your soul to Nurgle. Sure it seems like a disgusting thing to do to the rest of the world, but you won't care anymore.

So in my opinion, Nurgle isn't so much about disease and decay, but more about not fighting these natural processes. When you give up any concern about your health or appearance it's only a matter of time before you end up looking like the Nurgle followers we're familiar with from 40K.

marineowar
17-07-2005, 12:33
I always thought of Nurgle as stability, he doesn't want things to change. and as already been said, decay is constant. Nurgle, of all the Chaos gods, is the most inclined to order imho. Tzeentch is obviously the opposite, being the Lord of Change.

Iracundus
17-07-2005, 12:46
Nurgle is the most chaotic because his ideals are of entropy maximized, and the laws of thermodynamics means the universe moves/decays towards a state of maximum entropy.

gunhed
17-07-2005, 12:47
And for those in the grip of a plague or pestilence, who better to call upon for help than the god who put it on you in the first place?

Isn't that what Mortarion did when he was stuck in the warp with his Death Guard?

Once he's done something for you, you're in his debt and belong to him.