PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the Empire

CMDante
26-01-2007, 22:36
Well, with the new releases for the Empire I decided to return to my old Osltand army and give it a little refresh. First up was a detachment box set since I couldn't resist the fantastic new plastics!

So here's the first installment, just a quick WIP (mostly done, just needs basing and a shield) of the swordsman champion. Sorry for the bad pics, recently got a new camera and I'm still getting to grips. I used the flash because I didnt have any lamps to light it with at hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/IMG_02062.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/IMG_0208.jpg

Comments, questions, opinions welcome!

Cheers,

Dante

Ozymandiass
26-01-2007, 22:57
Looking real good. I especially like the script and the twin-tailed comet. I just picked up some of the new plastics too... Need to restart my Averlanders.

Ozymandias, King of Kings

F4113N
26-01-2007, 22:59
i realy like the skull and the sword

Voronwe[MQ]
27-01-2007, 09:42
Excellent painting; it reminds me somehow of old guard's avatar.

Voronwe

CMDante
28-01-2007, 01:44
Thanks for the comments so far guys. My intentions are to finish up my flagellant unit first and then get back to the state troopers from the detachment set. I'm also looking at converting up a couple of new characters and possibly even scratch building a new battle wizard since I don't like any of the current mini's out there for them.
Hopefully I'll have pics of the first of a batch of flagellants up sometime during the week.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
31-01-2007, 23:08
Ok, back with another little update:

Just finished painting one of a number of flagellants tonight, took about 3 hours total to do, here's the pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_02371.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_02361.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_02351.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Head.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dante

Dr Death
01-02-2007, 12:17
Beautiful standard of painting, hope you can maintain it across the board, the very best to you on that.

Dr Death

Sigismundjimbob
01-02-2007, 12:24
looks pretty good so far. what else do u have from your previous ostland army?

CMDante
01-02-2007, 12:58
Thanks guys.

Sigismundjimbob, I'll try posting a few pics later of the previous stuff. It's not as well painted as it was done about 4-5 years ago now but it's still good enough for tabletop use, I'll probably go back and redo a few things though.

So far I have:

18 or so greatswords
1 cannon and crew
4-5 knights (these will be replaced or re-done, I have some plans for some highly converted KotWW)
1 Hellblaster
1 mage
a few odd militia made from mordheim warbands

The rest of the mini's I currently use in my army are from my very old middenland army from when the first empire plastic soldiers regiment hit, not at all well painted!

More soon!

Cheers,

Dante

Arhalien
01-02-2007, 15:47
Excellent painting dante, i really like both those models, but I really like the swordsman in particular . Where's the shield btw, or is he a unit champ for halberds or spears?

CMDante
01-02-2007, 17:31
The shield isn't done yet, I decided to make my first batch of the new state troops halberdiers so technically he doesn't need a shield but I think I might give him one anyway as he looks a little odd without one.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
02-02-2007, 18:14
Back with another little update.

I had the Green Stuff out the other day as I was doing a little converting to make my flagellants look different from each other (rather than 3 or 4 of the same mini in the one unit) and I decided to try putting together an "Ostland" shield, basically just sculpting a little bulls head on. Anyway, it turned out quite nice so I decided to paint it up and stick it on my champion, here's the pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/IMG_02411.jpg

The lefthand horn looks like it hasn't been highlighted but really its just the shadow of the sword, I'm still struggling to get the colours right with the new camera but it's pretty close.

Cheers,

Dante

Anardakil
02-02-2007, 20:33
The look awesome :D How are you planning to base them?

CMDante
03-02-2007, 14:04
The plan is to do them either as my usual snow bases or make them look like crisp frosty ground and frosty static grass.

They won't be getting based for a wee while though as I like to do them in bunches.

Planning on painting a few halberdiers next.

Cheers,

Dante

Asuril
04-02-2007, 13:12
Looks great, CMDante! Keep up the good work. :]

How do you paint your metal? (Specifically the armor on the swordsman). It looks fantastic, can you give me a quick tutorial?

Cornelius
04-02-2007, 13:50
Great work! The first guy looks like Hitler, though.

Anardakil
04-02-2007, 15:28
Ok. I'm looking forward to seeing your halberdiers.
Oh and like Cornelius said your sergeant looks like Hitler. But I think that's cool XD some kind of synth Hitler from the Empire. haha

CMDante
04-02-2007, 17:41
Thanks guys.

The armour on the swordsman is done as follows:

- Black Undercoat
- Boltgun Metal
- Chainmail
- Wash with Black Ink, Chaos Black, Flesh Wash mix (33%, 33%, 33%) thinned with water
- Re-highlight Chainmail
- Mithril Silver

The sword was done the same way but to make the edges and tip a bit brighter I added another highlight with mithril silver with a little skull white mixed in.

Should have pics of the latest halberdier and of some of my existing painted stuff on Monday.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
06-02-2007, 15:20
Well, here's some pictures at last of a few of the existing painting mini's that I did for this army a few years ago along with a few other pieces I've decided to take pics of:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/Engineer.jpg
Greatswords
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/Greatswords.jpg

WIP Halberdier
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/Halberd2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/TzeentchSorcerror.jpg

Cheers,

Dante

schoolcormorant
06-02-2007, 15:25
i really like the WIP Halbedier, the face suits the pose and action absolutely 100%
i liek you're flesh technique and the snow is quite nice :)

SC

CMDante
06-02-2007, 20:47
Thanks SC, the bases on the old models will be getting re-done with my more recent (about 3 years!) snow basing technique using baking soda. The greatswords will also get their armour redone along with the banner and perhaps the skin too as the difference in quality is fairly noticeable now.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
22-02-2007, 23:02
Small update:

I really haven't been getting alot of time for modelling and painting lately but I have managed to finish this halberdier, previously show WIP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/H1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/H2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/H3.jpg

The lighting is pretty awful as I just took these quickly, I'll probably take some better pics later this weekend.

Also here's a pic of one of the small conversions I've begun doing to duplicate flagellants in order to alter their look and create a more varied unit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/F1.jpg

Cheers,

Dante

schoolcormorant
23-02-2007, 01:08
wonder why no one is posting about these AWEOSME figs!
he looks perfect Dante, the face is nice..as i said, fits the action perfectly ;)
good work mate :)

SC

Stouty
23-02-2007, 01:22
wonder why no one is posting about these AWEOSME figs!

SC

Well if they're anything like me then they hate to post just to say that's somethings amazing. Seems absolutely pointless to me, you know when you've done good works.

CMDante
23-02-2007, 12:33
That's a bit harsh isn't it? There are plenty of threads on here where great painters such as Spikyjames, Schoolcormorant, Doghouse etc blog their progress of painting by displaying their most recent works that get plenty of posts, often with constructive comments, why should this blog be any different?

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
23-02-2007, 12:37
Im loving the Ostlanders, very very nice. Dont know why, but i really really like the colours on the boots of that model. Really looks realistic.

Your models definitely capture the more gritty look Ostalanders should have. Leave the finery and frippery for the southern nancies! ;)

schoolcormorant
23-02-2007, 12:44
Well if they're anything like me then they hate to post just to say that's somethings amazing. Seems absolutely pointless to me, you know when you've done good works.

that seems daft to me, he set up a project log, he's asking for comments about whats good and what isn't, not to show the stuff for the good of his health.
sorry for reffering to Dante as 'he' that whole time ;)

SC

spikedog
23-02-2007, 13:53
Hey Dante,

Your models are great, there are some awesome details and wicked brush control going on with them. Good luck carrying on this level of detail with a whole army, it will sure be impressive if you can manage it.

As for the whole people replying to your posts, this is pretty much a 40K forum to be honest so unless your log has Space Marines or Imperial Guard in it you won't see as much attention as the big names such as SC, Deadley, SJ etc but it doesn't mean people aren't reading, keep going. As long as you are getting views people are interested.

Stouty
23-02-2007, 14:01
@CMDante and schoolcormorant

It's really not meant to be harsh, it's just that for me, if something is painted nigh on perfectly I really have nothing to offer. That's the reason I tend not to post in these threads unless the army is heavily themed or I think I could offer help.

Probably another reason for the lack of posts is the number of models. 1 swordsmen, 1 halberdier, an engineer and 15 greatswords are far less likely to attract attention than a blog with hundreds of models.

Final reason I'll say your conversions are too good; they don't stand out, they look like the model was meant to be that way all along and you've just clipped it off the sprue. This is greatly to your credit but the way these forums work, again, not much attention. People tend to comment on centrepieces which you've yet to do. (yeah, I mean it's so lame painting an entire army to GD standard. That's not awesome at all:rolleyes: )

If you really need to hear it though: Your army will look ********** amazing. The work on the beard (for the flaggelant) isn't as good as the work on the shield(s) but then again it's at 10 times size.

I am sorry if I caused offense, I'm a very critical guy but I don't mean to be nasty by it.

schoolcormorant
23-02-2007, 14:16
Hey Dante,

Your models are great, there are some awesome details and wicked brush control going on with them. Good luck carrying on this level of detail with a whole army, it will sure be impressive if you can manage it.

As for the whole people replying to your posts, this is pretty much a 40K forum to be honest so unless your log has Space Marines or Imperial Guard in it you won't see as much attention as the big names such as SC, Deadley, SJ etc but it doesn't mean people aren't reading, keep going. As long as you are getting views people are interested.
big name...seriously? :D

@CMDante and schoolcormorant

It's really not meant to be harsh, it's just that for me, if something is painted nigh on perfectly I really have nothing to offer. That's the reason I tend not to post in these threads unless the army is heavily themed or I think I could offer help.

Probably another reason for the lack of posts is the number of models. 1 swordsmen, 1 halberdier, an engineer and 15 greatswords are far less likely to attract attention than a blog with hundreds of models.

Final reason I'll say your conversions are too good; they don't stand out, they look like the model was meant to be that way all along and you've just clipped it off the sprue. This is greatly to your credit but the way these forums work, again, not much attention. People tend to comment on centrepieces which you've yet to do. (yeah, I mean it's so lame painting an entire army to GD standard. That's not awesome at all:rolleyes: )

If you really need to hear it though: Your army will look ********** amazing. The work on the beard (for the flaggelant) isn't as good as the work on the shield(s) but then again it's at 10 times size.

I am sorry if I caused offense, I'm a very critical guy but I don't mean to be nasty by it.
i know what you mean, sort of, in some cases i won't post on stuff i have no knowledge of, i mean, the new infinity logs,i've posted on one, only becuase i like the paintjpbs and stuff.
my other point is i only use the modelling forium and only stray to others to find out about stores and stuff. which is why i post a lot about here, but it's only here.

SC

jasevx
23-02-2007, 14:29
He means big name as in 'SchoolCormorant' theres 15 letters! ;)

CMDante
23-02-2007, 14:47
Thanks for the explanation stouty, I thought you were complaining because you thought I was begging for comments when really I don't mind if people comment or not unless I'm looking for some opinions or ideas, so far though this blog is mostly just to chart the progress (albeit slowly!) of my Empire army. No offence caused at all mate, I'm actually glad to hear critical comment as it helps improvement for the future.

@SC - of course your a big name, when you can churn stuff out to that high a quality in next to no time your bound to be! The same with spikyjames and deadly, both of whom also provide alot of inspiration!

Cheers,

Dante

Caligula
23-02-2007, 17:04
Very, very impressive! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Voronwe[MQ]
23-02-2007, 20:10
You, sir, have done it again, and then the flagellant's beard is very realistic as a plus aside.

Voronwe

Arhalien
24-02-2007, 17:38
Great Halberdier there! The red works so well with the scheme and is painted brilliantly!
Don't get disheartened because people aren;t posting!

Sandlemad
24-02-2007, 20:47
Good stuff, I really like the skin on the flagellant and the greatswords are great too. Wonderful freehand in general and the shield sculpting is very good.
As regards constructive criticism, I think that in places your black is a little flat, particularly around the... tights of the latest halberdier. This could be an effect of the photography but I think some highlights, mainly around the border between the black and white, would go a long way.
Excellent models otherwise.

CMDante
25-02-2007, 01:20
Cheers for the comments guys.

@Sandlemad - Yeah I think your right about the black on the most recent halberdier, it could maybe use a couple more highlights in a few places but at the same time the ones that are there are hard to spot from the bad lighting. I might go back and add a few more when I'm doing the next few guys from the unit but at the moment its not too big a priority since it won't be too noticeable when theyre all ranked up (eventually!;))

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
26-02-2007, 23:08
Bit of a progress report here.

Been working on the standard bearer for the halberdier unit today, finished everything except the banner arm and banner and I have to say, banner's always give me grief. It's taking some time to get a flat coat of white for the background of the banner and I still can't decide on a good design for the other side (one side will have the red bull head of ostland) so any idea would be great!

Hopefully I'll have some pics of the finished mini later in the week.

I have also been sketching up some ideas for a heavily converted wizard based on the sketches of bright wizards in the NEB, hopefully I'll have made a start on this sometime within the next week and have some pics to show of it too.

Stay tuned for more soon!

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
26-02-2007, 23:30
Looking forward to seeing the sketches.

Im still undecided what kind of wizard i want to have. Part of me wants to take a death magic wizard.

As for the banner, im having much the same problem, so i await others suggestions with interest.

CMDante
27-02-2007, 12:44
Banners really do give me alot of grief, the paint just never seems to want to cover smoothly in just 2 or 3 coats! I swear I must have put about 6 thin coats of SW grey (the old 1990's one with good pigmentation....usually!) before I had smooth coverage, now its the same process with getting the white on top of that! Ach I'm sure it'll all be worth it! Only thing is I then have to come up with the other design (making it cool, yet easyish to paint on!) and then do any touch ups....now you see why I hate banners?!:)

Hopefully something to show for it later today!

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
27-02-2007, 16:16
I also use the old coat de arms space wolves grey for my white base. :)

CMDante
28-02-2007, 20:23
Well the standard bearer is nearing completion, the main part of the mini (all of him except his banner arm and banner) is finished, just waiting to finish the banner. At the moment I'm not really sure what to put on the other side of the banner, I'm also worried it looks a little bland? Opinions?

Here's the pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/CSC_0004-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/CSC_0006-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/CSC_0005-2.jpg

Cheers,

Dante

Zodiac
28-02-2007, 20:26
The ears and horns are a bit small in comparison with the head.
But the miniature looks astonishing :o the Best one you've done 'till now!

For the other side, what about a comet with a bulls head? :D
Might look good! Or a bull holding a hammer upright?

schoolcormorant
28-02-2007, 20:29
awesome work Dante, the freehand is absolutely great...i'm trying to pull up my freehanding skills, and it's a bitch :D
excellent work bud, i really like the chest plate, the shading is brilliant.

i see a lot of Exocowboy in you're work, especially faces :)

SC

CMDante
28-02-2007, 20:37
Cheers for the comments guys. Zodiac, yeah I hadn't really noticed how small the ears and horns are compared to the rest of the head until I looked at the pics, I don't remember it looking too bad though IRL, might do a little more to it.

SC - I feel my freehand could use a bit more work, I always have grand ideas for what to do but when it comes do doing it, well its alot harder than it seemed in my head!:) I think I'm gradually improving though.

Cheers,

Dante

Arhalien
28-02-2007, 20:43
Very nice work on him so far Dante; looking better than the plastic general IMO :)

anselminus
28-02-2007, 20:47
The regular troops are good and the very work is clean.
but, you could improve them with washings of color (ex: a purple washing under eyes, a green or blue washing on the metal), it would allow to enrich your figurines.

CMDante
05-03-2007, 11:37
Thanks for the comments guys.

Sadly work on the banner has stalled since the last update as everytime I sit down to do some I lose interest because it seems to be just such a boring piece to paint!

As a result I have turned my attentions to pushing on with other elements of the army. Lately I have been converting up a new battle wizard of the bright order. It's been quite an involved conversion but it is now almost complete and ready for painting. I won't spoil the surprise by giving away the base model and the parts used in the conversion just yet, instead I'd like to see if anyone can guess them when I post a pic of the fully finished conversion, hopefully some time later in the day :).

Pics to follow soon.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
09-03-2007, 18:18
Finally a pic of the aforementioned wizard. I haven't had the chance to do much work on him yet, just the beginnings of the undershirt and a first couple of layers on the cloak (can't tell much from the bad lighting I know). The skin on the face is pretty much done and a little early work has gone in on the beard and hair. The hair will eventually be highlighted up to white as I want him to appear as a bit of a grizzled old battle wizard, possibly expelled from the colleges of magic and currently resident in Ostland. Appearing a bit of a scatterbrained old fool to the casual observer, he comes into a power of his own in the heat of battle where he becomes seemingly transformed into a whirlwind of firey destruction. At least thats the fluff for him anyway. Sadly he took a spill from the table I was photographing him on and his left forearm broke off (it had been pinned so just needs re-attached), his staff top broke off (now requiring pinning and re-attaching) and the wrist of his sword arm half broke so now needs fixing too, I told you he was a whirlwind of destruction....just not his own.... :cries: As a result this was the best of the 2 pictures I managed to take before I had a chance to footer about with the lighting etc.

Anyway, here's the pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/DSC_0040.jpg

I hope it's proved to be a decent conversion. The original base for the model is wizard 3 on foot seen here:http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060202108&orignav=13

The silly fez was clipped off and replaced with hair, ears were sculpted, as well as sideburns and the beard was made longer in keeping with the images of bright wizards in the NEB. The sword arm was clipped off at the elbow and replaces with half of a shield arm from the new plastic soldiers with the sleeve filled down to represent a bare forearm, again in keeping with the imagery of bright wizards (it'll probably be more apparent when painted). The right arm was missing as I won this model in a bits bag from GW for first place in a painting contest a few years ago now. Therefore it was created from the forearm of a sword arm from the new empire soldiers, again filed down to represent a bare arm and the sleeve of a hammer arm from the Middenheim sprue. The sleeve had some GS work done to add folds and make it look like the existing sleeve on the left arm. The collar was clipped back and resculpted a bit with GS too. The staff is a banner pole from the previous soldiers box command sprue, filed down, cut in places and pinned together and then to the hand. The hand had to be resculpted a bit too so that it fully covered the staff. It probably doesn't look like much but it took a reasonable amount of effort and I'm quite pleased with how he's turned out.

Cheers,

Dante

Darknight
09-03-2007, 18:25
The silly fez was clipped off

You dare remove a fez, sir? You remove a fez? How dare you, sir? The finest and most comic of headgear known to man, and it is removed?

Your membership of the Fezclub is hereby revoked! :)

In other news, those models are pretty sweet.

Sling
09-03-2007, 18:26
The wizardlooks ace! Cool conversion and nice painting :) I like the yellow

Dragonreaver
09-03-2007, 18:38
Some amazing work in this thread... I don't know why I come to these types of forum.. I only end up getting jealous and losing motivation to paint my own army because it'll never be anywhere near the level of any of you guys' work :p

I love the metal. It actually looks like metal, rather than silver paint (reffering especially to the left greave of the last handgunner you posted, and his gun).

Zodiac
09-03-2007, 23:43
Nice man.. really nice conversion.
Like the staff too!

schoolcormorant
11-03-2007, 03:33
excellent work CMDante, he looks really hoary and wizened as a wizard ought ;)

SC

UberDrive
18-04-2007, 19:29
Wow, another great lookin' Empire army. Thanks for the pictures, keep it up!

Dino
18-04-2007, 22:17
Hurray! Empire, love those guys. I swar, all these empire army building blogs really makes me want to pick up my own empire stuff again. But any way really good stuff man.

CMDante
21-04-2007, 02:35
Thanks guys, sadly work has stalled on all things GW related for me at the moment, just been way to busy to do anything. Hopefully things will change soon and I can get back to work on these boys though!

Cheers,

Dante

grhino
11-07-2009, 22:44
Never managed to find the time again for this beautifull army or can we expect some updates?

bob_the_small
11-07-2009, 23:01
Excellent freehand on the banner!

Rhaivaen
10-06-2010, 22:48
Anyway, here's the pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Empire/DSC_0040.jpg

I hope it's proved to be a decent conversion. The original base for the model is wizard 3 on foot seen here:http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060202108&orignav=13

Cheers,

Dante

Unfortunately the link only brings me to the main page... could you refer me to the correct page? as I really dig the face on this model, and would like to make my own conversion using him.

Thnx in advance.

static grass
11-06-2010, 12:19
That's a great conversion, I didn't recognise the figure at first sans fez.

CMDante
13-06-2010, 13:42
Woah, blast from the past here!

Rhiaven, the base mini is the old metal wizard with fez. Unfortunately they don't seem to have it in their online store anymore, but I'm sure you could find it cheap on ebay.

The rest is simply my horrible earlier efforts with green stuff!

Cheers,

Dante