PDA

View Full Version : Moderised Space Marine Captains

inq.covenant
26-01-2007, 22:49
I was looking at the modernised version of the original Dark Angels captain over in the rumour roundup, and its got me thinking: is this going to be an ongoing trend within the Space Marine range? I think that modernised Dark Angel is fantastic looking, maybe a bit of a static pose, but still fantastic.

Now I know there was no modernised Ultramarine Captain when the Space Marine codex was released, but there are rumours of a SM redux, and with this stronger focus on the Ultramarines in 4th edition, maybe the redux is the time to release such a mini? And then of course, a modernised version of the original Blood Angel and Space Wolves captains when their codicies come around.

Thoughts?

sigur
26-01-2007, 23:02
Yeah, sounds good. But somehow I don't like the new style of the redone DA captain much to be honest. I think it's a bit too comic-style, too in a way. You could also call it blocky. On the other treasure, I honor the attempt to bring back old ideas. That's what GW has been doing wrong in the past: Honoring their systems'/miniatures' history.

wickedvoodoo
27-01-2007, 01:47
Yeah, sounds good. But somehow I don't like the new style of the redone DA captain much to be honest. I think it's a bit too comic-style, too in a way. You could also call it blocky. On the other treasure, I honor the attempt to bring back old ideas. That's what GW has been doing wrong in the past: Honoring their systems'/miniatures' history.

Hard to say, on one hand i agree with what you say, on the other i think a new version of the ultramarine captain with the crest and extended arm with powersword would be really cool, as would a new ragnar blackmane model.

corbulo87
27-01-2007, 05:13
i think a new version of the ultramarine captain with the crest and extended arm with powersword would be really cool

Hasn't Marneus Calgar's company champion addressed that issue? :p

I completely disagree with sigur - honouring old miniatures is one of my favourite aspects of GW's designs. Seeing a concept evolve and improve in detail and quality is very satisfying for me, eg. one-off conversions and armies getting official rules/miniatures, the land raider and rhino mkII, etc. I do agree, though, that new designs and concepts should be explored, just not in favour of old, working concepts' retirement.

inq.covenant
28-01-2007, 14:23
Having thought a little more about this and having actually gone back and looked at the old captain models, I've decided a moderised Blood Angel captain would suck, simply because the old one was only ever armed with a boltgun. A moderised Space Wolf one would rock though.

BattleSarge
28-01-2007, 14:50
I would love to see updated Capt. Models as long as their pose was not so static. I think the Space Wolf Capt/Wolf Lord has great potential. I love the Wolf helm as long as it doesn't look like Ulrik's. I also think the Blood Angel could rock outright.

Bloodthirster90
28-01-2007, 16:02
I'd like to see updated captains, but I'd prefer them in plastic. or maybe if they just released chapter-specific commander upgrade sprues for the base 8 captain they have. I'm no fan of metal models really; they're detailed, yes, but not that easy to work with and convert and the paint sticks a whole lot better to plastic minis than it does to metal.