PDA

View Full Version : What should be in a brets army?

inane-fedaykin
27-01-2007, 06:18
So a guy at my local flgs recently sold off his unpainted brets to focus on his tau army. I picked up 8 knights and a battle standard bearer for $30 (CDN). I don't have much of a budget at the moment but I'm getting a job and my first pay check should be about $650 (before tax and general cost).

So, what am I looking at in a 500 point army to get me to where I can field 2k and what should my final army look like? Mind that I prefer cavalry and archers.

Reflex
27-01-2007, 06:54
are you asking what you should buy?

The army book is a good choice.

from there you can find out what is good and whats not.

after that you already have the BSB so another paladin and some damsels (damsels are good, but you can use them or not, depending on style).

after that i would think to buy the battalion box is good. gives you pegesi knights, archers (as you say) and more knights... and you have some Men at arms for your pleasure.

if you want knight heavy army, look through the army book and its easy to see what you need.

Vattendroppe
27-01-2007, 07:17
As Reflx sais, the armybook is the first step. Have a bit of a lookaround and go for my marvelous challanging lord.

No, seriousley now. I think you would at least want to have one unit of skirmishing bowmen 10-15 models and maybe (if you want more archery) one unit of 10 ordinary bowmen. You'll need at LEAST one damsel, maybe two depending on how you want your army and at least one paladin/lord more. (Btw, I'm talking 2000 pts)

You'll need about two boxes of knights more and maybe knights errant. Grailknights? Expensive but funny (field them at a small unit of 5-6 models with a shield of mounted yeomen, the banner of chalôns is fun to have at the grailknights also) . If you go with grailknights, maybe a grail relique? Also expensive but darn fun! And so on and so forth. The only thing that's for sure is at least one damsel, a palladin more and more KotR.

Murderous Monkey
27-01-2007, 21:05
*******Quoted post and comment removed********

That said you've got a genuine question so it's only fair to try and answer it. You'll want knights and two heroes (one of which is a battle satandard bearer). I'd suggest two small units of knights - probably a bare 5 will be sufficient - to put the heroes in. Make one a unit of Knights Errant to save a few points.

With Full commands the units come to 265 points.
2 Paladins with barded horses, one of which has a shield and a lance (the battle standard bearer can't have any extra equipment) - 154 points.
I'd then bulk out the army with some peasant bowmen.

You might like to squeeze the Wyrmlance into the army (drop the lance on your Paladin general) for a surprise breath weapon which could be nasty against lots of support units or tightly packed infantry before a decisive charge. You'd still have points for 10 archers too.

The list gives you some ranged fire to eliminate any pesky support troops like fast cavalry while your heavy cavalry smashes the enemy into the ground. It's a good introduction to Bretonnians and uses models that will be very useful in a larger army. I've assumed it's a standard 500 point game not the border patrol rules by the way (hence the required two heroes).

Krankenstein
27-01-2007, 21:24
If you prefer knights and archers, you should go with that for your 2000 points army. Sure yeomen, pegasus knights and trebuchets are the bomb, but you can manage without them. So, a lord, a paladin, a BSB, some damsels, lots of small (6) and medium sized (9) knight units, a large skirmish archer unit, smaller (10-12) normal archer units, and you’re set.

t-tauri
27-01-2007, 21:26
Please note the forum rules (http://www.warseer.com/forums//faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines) especially as related to filesharing-point 25. No discussion of illegal copies of copyrighted products. Posts relating to this deleted/edited.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

inane-fedaykin
27-01-2007, 22:43
Full command is a Standard and Musician?
Is it really required in a 500 point game? It's not all that small a chunk of points in so small a game.

dominic_carrillo
28-01-2007, 02:43
i think that the Gay Ol' Knights (Grail Knights) even in a small unit, are very good.

Alathir
28-01-2007, 06:32
I am a big fan of Men at Arms and would recommend them to any player... plus they have alot of character and are awesome models.

Krankenstein
28-01-2007, 07:15
About full command in a 500 points game. The extra +1 combat resolution, and the extra +1 on rally rolls are nice, but is it nicer than so many longbowmen that the same points would buy? You can argue both ways.

However, when you are aiming for 2000 points you definitely need full commands. And painting your entire unit in one go is a lot faster.

will23
28-01-2007, 09:58
hi there,
in terms of a 500point starter i'd go for-
10 skirmishing archers (70)
5 Mounted Yeomen- shield and musician (75+5+7)=87
Paladin- Horse, Shield, Sword of Might (60+14+2+20)=96
8 Knight Realm- Command- War Banner (196+24+25)=245
all for 498
that gives you 15 BS 3 arrows
a fast moving foil or flank charge that is expendible
and a really hard (for 500pts) unit of knights with a static cr of 4 plus possibly numbers if you get your archers to shoot the opponets main unit which'd probably be 20 infantry...

or... if monies tight
10 archers (60)
3 pegasus (165)
Paladin- Horse, Shield, Lance (60+14+2+4)=80
6 Realm- Command+ War (144+24+25)= 189
ok still archers,
peg's are HARD bit overkill for 500 but you get them free in the boxed set vs paying a basic UK £30 for the yeomen
knights are a bit more vulnrable so you'd want to get them and the pegs in against the same guys if pos. Thats why you've got 6+paladin to give you and 'ablative' wound before losing your rank.

In terms of building up all this stuff is useful so none would be redundant

ok hope that helps.
cheers
wil

Reflex
28-01-2007, 10:58
where is your BSB? still need one at 500 points unless otherwise....

Vattendroppe
28-01-2007, 14:17
where is your BSB? still need one at 500 points unless otherwise....

Actually you don't need to take a BSB to brets according to GWs boarder-patrol-rules. It would result in spending about half your army on characters, not balanced in any way.

Reflex
28-01-2007, 22:27
Actually you don't need to take a BSB to brets according to GWs boarder-patrol-rules. It would result in spending about half your army on characters, not balanced in any way.

boarder patrol rules? :confused: (new(ish) to fantasy still) ( i have a week left on that excuse... :p)

Vattendroppe
29-01-2007, 05:52
Okay, boarder patrol is when you set up small armies of 500 points and battle with just that. The rules are quite different from an ordinary battle, you can read about it here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/border%2Dpatrol/1/