PDA

View Full Version : The Warpstone Wanderers - is this a good team?

LuciusVonCarstein
27-01-2007, 11:05
okay the total for the players is 1,000,000gc so uses up my entire treasury and they are as follows:

Skit Mc'Paw - Lineman
Corpin patch - Lineman
Stitch - Lineman
Morbolt Furrypaw - Lineman
Iklet Quirk - Thrower
Blice Stabb - Gutter Runner
Trythe Throttle - Gutter Runner
Tricin the Lethal - Gutter Runner
Thinrot the Dominator - Stormvermin Blitzer
Mutin Flesh-Cutter - Stormvermin Blitzer
Snarl - Rat Ogre

thats the 11 players on the pitch, also Sniven Hemlock, Chirake Fastpaw and Altin Longtail are 3 Lineman subs.

Was thinking of maybe dropping one blitzer for a fourth Runner?

Keravin
27-01-2007, 11:46
Is this for a tourney?

LRB 4 or 5?

Rerolls? Fan Factor?

Deng Ham
27-01-2007, 13:42
In the beginning you don't need 2 runners. Save that gold to get some more re-rolls and higher fan faktor.

You shoud have atleast 2 or more re rolls. they are important to a ball game team

Bubble Ghost
29-01-2007, 12:16
In my experience the rat ogre's a white elephant, you're better off without him and spending the money on extra players and rerolls. The real strength of the skaven team is their movement rate, which means you can get block assists from almost impossible positions and more than compensates for the lack of individuals with high strength. To make the most of that you need enough players in reserve to maintain a decent presence on the pitch. The rat ogre's nice for a developed team, but when you're starting out he's a gameplay liability and a resource drain.

Autobot HQ
29-01-2007, 16:20
Drop the Rat Ogre - Bubble Ghost is right (shock..), they're not needed to start with and they're also your biggest liability on a new team - Frenzy is twice as many chances for double skulls / both down. You need the rat ogre dropped until you have at least two or three skilled gutter runners to look after his inevitable mistakes.

You need Rerolls. Kerv touched on this earlier in his usual characteristic bluntness (Can't you tell he plays dwarves :D), but he's perfectly right. Reserve players are all well and good but if you can't even pick up the ball (and you will fail to do that, believe me) you'll wish you have that Reroll. Also, they're cheaper now then later, in fact they even cost less than that big Rat Ogre I just told you to drop.

You don't NEED two runners but I often find it helps not to have one speedy-fast target with only Av7 and S2 to keep him alive, so I'd suggest two. Three is overkill, and four would be suicidal to the team as without a proper defence four S2 players on the pitch is asking to die, and with their cost you can't afford to lose two or three a match.

A thrower which you have is a good choice as you'll need Sure Hands. Really, if he gets +Ag you'll find he rolls more 1's than before you had it. It's Nuffles way of keeping you safe.

Both stormvermin is good. Keep them.

If you're playing LRB5 then Fan Factor (FF) is not as important, but if you're playing LRB4 dear lord you'll need at least FF7 I'd say. FF makes you money, wins you kick-off rolls, stops me getting the ref and kicking you into the floor (Well, not me personally, unless you join the Warseer Blood Bowl League)<--- cheap plug.

If you're having some spare guys, get an Apocathary instead of one of them. I know if one of my Gutter Runners died, I'd be happier that I saved him from dying rather than saying "Yay, I have a spare linerat!"

Just some random thoughts for you there ;)

A-HQ
Lord of Warseer Blood Bowl

th0r
29-01-2007, 17:13
I disagree on the thrower. I would keep 3 Gutter runners and this way you have a better chance of getting +ag on one of them and he can be your thrower as he has good movement and ag4. Also your opponents are going to really go after the GR's so having more is always better. TBH without gutters, skaven are junk.

Oh and get an apoth and save it for gutter only SI, deaths. Line rats tend to go splat but your just going to have to live with that.

Autobot HQ
29-01-2007, 17:28
I'd counter-argue that if you have a dedicated Gutter-Thrower, then you are relying on a S2 player to carry the ball before the scoring attempt, and that an apponent now has 11 players on the pitch who can 2DB your 'thrower' on a decent break through whatever AV7 defences you have. A thrower, when you go wrong and fail the pick up, still leaves a S3 player next to the ball, which you can't instantly blitz off the ball on a 2DB; you'll need two players to break through to reliably get him out of the TZ of the ball.

Gutter Runners start at Ag4 also, so if a gutter DID get +AG I'd personally find his AG5 wasted when he could be a dodging, leaping, sidestepping Nerves of Steel scoring machine, instead of a ball carrier.

Gutters do indeed make a Skaven team, but I'll always argue the points of having a reliable Sure Hands thrower over a reroll burning S2 rat.

I'm not saying, however, that Th0r is wrong:- It is a perfectly valid and oft used tactic to dedicate them, in rotation, on pick-up-and-throw duty. I however have found it much harder to get the S3 guy off the ball than the S2guy, regardless of it's inevitable blodge status.

A-HQ

LuciusVonCarstein
29-01-2007, 19:38
ok thanks for the advice like i said im new to blood bowl so need to play some matches and stuff. I got the rat ogre box so have a rat ogre and 3 converted skaven players, but if i shouldnt use the ogre it can go in a box :P

Is apothecary really worth it when its 50,000gc and can only be used once per game? and im not sure quite how fan factor works and what all the skills are yet

Keravin
29-01-2007, 19:52
FF is used for kick off rolls, figuring out how much money you make each game etc.

Apothecary can mean that your expensive skilled player survives. Not having one means you are at the mercy of the dice.

th0r
29-01-2007, 19:56
Gutter Runners start at Ag4 also, so if a gutter DID get +AG I'd personally find his AG5 wasted when he could be a dodging, leaping, sidestepping Nerves of Steel scoring machine, instead of a ball carrier.

Nothing is more powerful then an ag5 thrower, especially when you have ag4 recievers. The idea is you use the mv9 to stay back in your own zone so even if your opponent does break through he won't be able to get to the ball carrier. Also like you said, he has easy access to blodge in case he does get hit.

LuciusVonCarstein
29-01-2007, 20:04
so would this team be better?

3 runners
2 stormvermin
1 thrower
5 linerats

and then i have enough left for fan factor and rerolls

th0r
29-01-2007, 20:16
make sure you have an apoth too..

LuciusVonCarstein
29-01-2007, 20:47
oh yeah. okay how many rerolls and how much FF?

th0r
29-01-2007, 21:07
id say at least 2 rr, and have your ff at least 5

Darkson
29-01-2007, 21:55
For a league, I like to start with 3 rerolls, (under LRB 4) as much FF as possible, always both Vermin and no Rat Ogre. I often don't start with a thrower, using a runner to retrieve the ball and playing a running game. As the team get's better, I'll then purchase a Apo, thrower, 4th runner and rat ogre, replacing linemen as and when.

LRB4
2 Vermin
3 Runners
6 Linemen
3 RR
9 FF
10k in the bank

Under LRB5
2 Vermin
4 Runners
1 Thrower
5 Linemen
3 RR
0 FF

LuciusVonCarstein
30-01-2007, 16:32
okay but what does LRB stand for?

Autobot HQ
30-01-2007, 16:51
Living Rule Book. It's the current ruleset you are using. If you've downloaded them from the site recently, I'd think you're using LRB5.

P.S - Join Fumbbl :D

A-HQ

LuciusVonCarstein
30-01-2007, 16:58
why 0 fan factor with LB5? or was that a mistake?

Under LRB5
2 Vermin
4 Runners
1 Thrower
5 Linemen
3 RR
0 FF

Autobot HQ
30-01-2007, 17:18
Because it hardly matters with LRB5 it isn't a huge deal anymore.

LuciusVonCarstein
30-01-2007, 17:24
alright then i made this list which makes exactly 1000000gc

2 stormvermin
1 thrower
4 gutter runners
4 linemen
3 rerolls
5 fan factor
0 apothecary

Should i swap a reroll for an apoth?
is 11 enough players i have no reserves?
is 5 fan factor a good amount?

and my other questions are:
how do i earn more money? just by winning games?
how do i upgrade my players you talked about +AG bonus' etc?

Because it hardly matters with LRB5 it isn't a huge deal anymore.

so should i take 0 fan factor and an apothecary? or anohter lineman?

Autobot HQ
30-01-2007, 17:45
You don't need 4 runners and a thrower.
You get lucky to get the +AG bonus ;) Roll an 11 on your skill rolls.
11 players is plenty, though 12 is better
Yes, swap the FF for the Apo
Then join Fumbbl

A-HQ

LuciusVonCarstein
30-01-2007, 17:50
i looked on fumbbl, no point in me joining if i dont have a BB team yet :) okay so everythings good apart from maybe what players i have chosen. if not 4 runners and a thrower what should i take instead?

th0r
30-01-2007, 19:58
The cool thing about fumbbl is that instead of sitting here wondering what works and what doesn't you can actually play your team and KNOW what works. If I were you I would definitly check it out.

Darkson
31-01-2007, 23:20
Right, first off, FUMBBL is still running LRB 4 rules, so if you decide to play there, you'll need to download (or have someone send you) a copy of the LRB4 pdf.
If you're playing LRB4, then FF5 is to low, as your FF heavily influences how much money you earn (and with Skaven, you'll need plenty of money.
11 players is fine for the first game - just pray you don't take any/to many injuries. Get the Apo as soon as you can (after first game is preferable).

If you're playing tabletop and LRB5, getting the Apo isn't worth it for a starting team. FF5 is Ok (though FF3, a Asst. Coach and a Cheerleader would be better), though you might as wel drop the FF and upgrade the players with the money.

Mad Makz
15-04-2007, 07:05
I just started a Skaven tema under LRB5, here was my starting line up

2 throwers
2 gutter runners
2 stormvermin
6 linerats
2 re-rolls
4 fan factor
1 apothecary

990,000 (decided to save 10,000 in case I lost players in the first match and had poor winning rolls, rather than buy any more fan factor or an assistant/cheerleader).

under LRB5 logic was this:

Most people will take no fan factor - thus a small amount of fan factor is highly beneficial to improve your fame and improve your winnings (paid off first game, got +2 FAME, which led to 90,000 winnings as I won the game and got a 6 on the re-roll, and I also ended up winning the throw a rock, cheering fan x 2, and brilliant coaching rolls on the kick off table, giving me three extra re-rolls for the game and stunning an opposing player on the opening turn.) Plus, 4 is a good number, because even if you lose the game you have to roll quite poorty to lose any.

Two Throwers is an odd choice, but Sure Hands and pass are great skills, plus the chance to get the Leader skill to earn more free re-rolls is very good. In a skaven team a Thrower can also double as a pseudo blitzer, because if the enemy does cough up the ball the sure hands gives them a better chance to retrieve it. In general, compared to the price of a linerat, I think they are a steal (two skills for an extra 20,000 GC and access to even more skills - yes please). As they are likely to get SPP from completions as well, the longer they are on the team the better in my view, so get them early. If you buy them later they will be up against better teams who will have more nasty players who are likely to kill them - (this is assuming you are playing in a league where everyone is starting from scratch.)

A skaven thrower with dump off also makes the opponent have a really rough time - Keep a gutter runner near by and another futher up the field and it becomes very tough to stop a TD because you can only blitz one of them and if you blitz the thrower he'll just dump off to the near GR, who will then be able to get the ball to the other GR and score.

Two GR's because I didn't want to have more than two strength 2 players in the team, they become too much of a liability in the first couple of games.

Stormvermin are obligatory for the extra armour and block.

A spare linerat - numerical superiority is very useful when all your players have movement 7, only way to keep that up when their armour is 7 is to have a spare player for when one goes out due to KO or injury and doesn't come back for the next drive. Assuming you can dish it out occassionally that spare player will come in handy.