PDA

View Full Version : Army Of Zoats-Conversions

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 12:09
I want to start an army of zoats inspired by issue 2 of firebase.However I am finding it difficult to locate zoat models and would be willing to even convert my own-does anyone have any reccomendations/ideas? :confused:

t-tauri
27-01-2007, 12:11
Much better suited to Modelling-moved.

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 12:14
I've seen both zoat conversions on the us gw website, and i really like the ogre one.Its at - http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/forgotten_fleet/r_collossus.htm

the problem is that i'm not exactly enthralled by the prospect of paying $117.75 per zoat in a 30 zoat army.

Warwolt the skaven
27-01-2007, 13:02
erh, you don't have to if you order the bitz you need and not the sprues where the bitz are on. Search for a bitz-shop >_>

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 13:05
I've been looking at the sprues and i reckon i could make 4 zoats for $30, thats about 7 bucks per zoat which is actually about what gw would probably charge for them if they were part of the current range.

AventineCrusader
27-01-2007, 13:14
Alot of the things listed are entire sprues used to get small, non essential bitz.

You could make a perfectly reasonable one with this...

Ogre Bull Sprue (x2)
(Part code: 99380213005)
$12.00
Ogre Ironguts Sprue
(Part code: 99380213004)
$12.00
Cold One Sprue (x2)
(Part code: 99380212002)
$4.00
Tyranid Warrior Sprue (x2)
(Part code: 99380106005)
$11.00
Tyranid Biomorph Sprue (x4)
(Part code: 99380106003)
$5.00
60-mm Round Base (x2)
(Part code: 99379999031)
$2.00

About half the price, not great, but certainly better...

Crusader

Quin 242
27-01-2007, 13:18
I say find pics of the old Zoats and Sculpy some.
They are pretty bulky and not very detailed so it would be a good modelling excercise...

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 13:18
wow! thanks loads, but wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy the whole ironguts box as it comes with 2 ogre bull sprues and an irongut sprue already? And arent the bases in the tyranid warrior box 60mm? I reckon with a bit of thinking i could narrow this down even further. Thanks again!

Ifurita
27-01-2007, 15:06
I have 5 metal zoat models (2 painted, 3 primed black) I'd be willing to sell

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 15:43
I'm not sure-I was really thinking of coverting my own plastic zoats ideally. How much are you willing to sell them for?

Ifurita
27-01-2007, 15:48
not sure. are you in the uk?

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 16:45
Here is my revised shopping list for making 4 zoats with toxin sacks,extended carapace, 3 with deathspitters and 1 with a venom cannon.-

Ironguts Boxed Set- 20.00
4x New Plastic Cold Ones Sprue- 10.00
Biomorph sprue- 4.00
Tyranid Warriors Box Set- 18.00
Tyranid Monstrous Arms Sprue- 4.00
Total- 56.00

Yes, I am in the UK

Are the Bases for Tyranid warriors 60mm?

t-tauri
27-01-2007, 17:00
Please read the posting guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines). Don't triple post-use the edit button, please.

Destris
27-01-2007, 17:37
Woah, calm down dude.

You have just posted several (4) times in quick succession. This clogs up the forums, so it is better to keep to a single post, and be clear and concise.

The thread was moved, because as it is about conversions, it will do better here, and will get more replies. It was moved to help you.

The posting guidlines are to keep the forum in a decent state, and should be followed.

The material you posted that was allegedly removed must have been either:

a) Not posted in the first place.

b) Accidentally deleted.

c) Intentionally deleted due to Copyright issues. GW's fault, not t-tauri's.

t-tauri is a very good Moderator, and should be treated with respect. Expect this string of posts to be merged/deleted.

And in answer to your question, Tyranid Warrior bases are 40mm, not 60mm.

Now, if you remain civil here on Warseer, and are polite, people will be exactly the same towards you. Be nice, and you will have a good time here :).

Steve

PS: t-tauri, I'm still waiting for you to get back to me on that PM. ;)

EDIT: It now seems that you deleted the posts yourself. Congrats :).

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 17:45
My sincerest apologies to t-tauri, as he has messaged me explaining the reasons for his actions, which were very fair and very true. I have deleted my posts criticising him.

Destris
27-01-2007, 17:48
My sincerest apologies to t-tauri, as he has messaged me explaining the reasons for his actions, which were very fair and very true. I have deleted my posts criticising him.

That's the right thing to do. Now play nice here, and enjoy your stay :).

I hope these forums can be helpful to you in the future :).
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 17:55
Getting back to my point about the bases, would a cold one/ogre based zoat fit onto a 40mm base neatly or should I opt for a 60mm?

Destris
27-01-2007, 18:02
Getting back to my point about the bases, would a cold one/ogre based zoat fit onto a 40mm base neatly or should I opt for a 60mm?

I'd opt for a 60mm if I were you, even if they did fit onto a 40mm, I think they would look much better on 60mms.

Your choice though :).
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 18:35
I'm using them as tyranid warriors in games, are 60mm bases legal in game terms in that regard?

Destris
27-01-2007, 18:37
I'm using them as tyranid warriors in games, are 60mm bases legal in game terms in that regard?

Yes, the rulebook says you can use the size the models are supplied with and bigger, but NOT smaller. So 60mm bases are fine.
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 18:39
WHAT!?! so I could mount say, a termagaunt on a 60mm base?!

Destris
27-01-2007, 18:46
WHAT!?! so I could mount say, a termagaunt on a 60mm base?!

It would be legal, yes. It would make you famous for been an ****, but yes, it would be legal.
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 19:09
Lol, - imagine that huge 1500 point tyranid swarm (the one that was in the same article as the 6 carnifex one),all with 60mm bases! Or something absolutely deadly in close combat like a khorne lord! I think i'll probably just stick to tyranid warrior bases as i will have enough of those left over from the tyranid warrior box that is part of my component list on page 1. I need to find a moderator to move this thread into project logs so i dont loose it.

Destris
27-01-2007, 19:19
Lol, - imagine that huge 1500 point tyranid swarm (the one that was in the same article as the 6 carnifex one),all with 60mm bases! Or something absolutely deadly in close combat like a khorne lord! I think i'll probably just stick to tyranid warrior bases as i will have enough of those left over from the tyranid warrior box that is part of my component list on page 1. I need to find a moderator to move this thread into project logs so i dont loose it.

Feel free to PM t-tauri or any other mod asking them to move this, they will be happy to oblige :).
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 19:48
I already have messaged t-tauri. Anyway I should be able to get The parts for my Zoats In about a week or less, probably less and I will start work as soon as I get the stuff.I'm thinking of cutting the ogre torso just below the belt,possibly slicing part of the gutplate hole off, which doesnt matter as it will be greenstuffed over.The gutplate area itself will have some form of tyranid carapace on it.I'll most likely need to use wire with greenstuff over it to extend the connection cable between the venom cannon and the right arm.

Destris
27-01-2007, 19:53
I already have messaged t-tauri. Anyway I should be able to get The parts for my Zoats In about a week or less, probably less and I will start work as soon as I get the stuff.I'm thinking of cutting the ogre torso just below the belt,possibly slicing part of the gutplate hole off, which doesnt matter as it will be greenstuffed over.The gutplate area itself will have some form of tyranid carapace on it.I'll most likely need to use wire with greenstuff over it to extend the connection cable between the venom cannon and the right arm.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them :).
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 19:55
Watch this space! :) hey- any ideas for a colorscheme? zoats look like complete clowns in bright gaudy colorschemes by the way so it has to be a natural tone.

Destris
27-01-2007, 19:58
Try having a look at some tyranid schemes, they could work well. Or just base it off the old ones, just dull everything down a bit.

End of the day, your choice really.
Steve

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 20:04
yeah I agree, the previous tyranid codex has some nice lizardlike ones.The zoats are all tyranid warriors so for troops I have 2 ripper swarms of baby zoats.Taking heed from the return of hive fleet collossus article in firebase i will mix together the warmaster cold ones and kroxigor.Now I need to start thinking about my Gharg- hive tyrant, with nasty gun and zoat power fist (rending claw in game terms), and the Zoatifex.

t-tauri
27-01-2007, 20:19
Last time i checked, t-tauri, the posting guidelines were guidelines not rules, Please read the strikable offences (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_strikable_offences), particularly rule 10-repeatedly ignoring the guidelines.

Please be aware that further multiple postings after two warnings will result in moderator action. Please don't treat Warseer as a blog or chatroom. The modelling forums should only have posts made when you can show some progress with the project otherwise you're bumping other posters work off the front page.

Keep the posting on topic.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

Voronwe[MQ]
27-01-2007, 20:42
Hm, perhaps just Bull Centaur bodies and Lizardmen torsos and arms along with Ogryn heads?

Voronwe

Witchfire
27-01-2007, 20:49
The problem with bull centaur bodies is that the moulds have been accidentially destroyed and so GW will never make any more. And in the first place Zoats had scaly lover bodies and humanlike torsos, like centaurs.Thats kinda the point. Thanks for the idea though. Now i'd better shut up untill I get something to show so t-tauri doesnt get annoyed.Thanks!

axiom
27-01-2007, 22:02
Mine are the Zoats featured in Firebase - glad you like them and good luck putting together an army of your own. If you don't have the patience to hunt enough zoats down on ebay (it took a fair while for me to pull enough together), I reckon cold ones with old-school kroxigor would be the GW parts I would use to get a fairly close match size and stylistically.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Witchfire
28-01-2007, 11:36
Thanks man, your hive tyrant is fantastic, it's helmet looks kinda like a space marine one.I was thinking along the lines of a dark elf cold one with an ogre torso and tyranid weapons.They will look quite intimidating on the battlefield I reckon.I have a question or two though.1.)-what head is that on your zoatifex? 2.)-Are your tyrant guard the old fantasy zoat mages with orbs and maces?. I need to order the parts for my zoats from the online store, and due to cheques and bank opening hours my zoats may take a while to appear!

axiom
28-01-2007, 13:08
Thanks man, your hive tyrant is fantastic, it's helmet looks kinda like a space marine one.

Not my intention ;) It was just a way of covering up the old dragon ogre head underneath which looked nothing like the zoats

1.)-what head is that on your zoatifex?

The head and body are from the ork wyvern. I chopped out the neck and reattached it straight onto the torso.

2.)-Are your tyrant guard the old fantasy zoat mages with orbs and maces?

They are indeed. I just sculpted some psychic hoods on their heads