PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased Battlefield 2. Anyone here play it?

Thalin
16-07-2005, 21:06
I just purchased Battlefield 2 from Ebay, after enjoying the demo, and am hoping for some fun with it.

Is there anyone here that plays this game? I havn't recieved the game yet (obviously, I only won the bid half an hour ago!) but if there is anyone who has the game or has played the game, please share your thoughts about it.

Kensai X
16-07-2005, 21:18
Well I still play the demo and it's really fun, but currently I'm a little short on cash to get the game itself. Although, if your willing I'll play you in the Demo Version!

nick
16-07-2005, 21:21
I've got it... good game but i need to get myself a headset before i play it properly.

Nick

alterion
16-07-2005, 21:49
got it play it.. in 50klicks.com. join us horrid horris horrid browser.. d/l the 1.02 patch now to play properly.. the 1.01 patch was a horrid fiasco.. oh great game but with tyhing like ranked servers costing up to $100 more a moth than unranked ect and the patch fiasco ea have done thier best to screw up dice's core game

Thalin
16-07-2005, 22:14
Personally I don't care like others do about OMG TEH IDIOTS @ EA HAVE MEST UP AA GR8 GAME WITH A PATCH** and all that fiasco. As long as I can play the game, i'm sure EA will sort problems out in the future.

Chuffy
16-07-2005, 22:35
I'm getting a new computer in 12 days (12 long excruciating days) along with BF2, so I'll end up living by my computer then. When I do start playing most likely I'll be called Chuffy, or Chuffay or some spin on the Chuff name.

Samoth
17-07-2005, 02:16
I've been playing it at lan cafe's, and it's an excellent game. Comparable in inovation to, say, call of duty or the original halo. So many little things make the game great.

If anyone is looking for good servers/forums, go to tacticalgamer.com.

Star.Scream
17-07-2005, 08:01
>>>>>>Yup. Its very popular at the moment, not Half Life 2 or Halo 2 market sales, but definatly popular, and an expasion is ready for the Fall.

The game is even more tactically challenging then the last, with Squads and Commaners.

My only gripes are Dice's and EA's decision to run it off of GameSpy; I dread GameSpy (and I know others do too), but once your in the game and not dealing with the BF2 Server browser then your all set.

For anyone else who hates BF2's server browsing check out The All Seeing Eye (http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/doc.html), its a server browsing program compatable with most any out server based game (CS:S, Medal of Honor, ect). It has loads more of filters, and pings more accuratley; Highly Recomended.

Side not, Eye seems to be having problems with the current 1.02 Hotfix, wait for either a patch for EA or from the Eye its self (prompts when you open the program), its sure to be fixed in a few days; give it a shot then, I'm sure most people will like it.

Sojourner
17-07-2005, 08:02
I got it a few days after it came out. I don't have a headset either unfortunately but it's great fun as is, idiots aside.

I really must get a place on a private server though, I'm sick of all the 'tards who can't do anything and won't follow orders. Why is everybody but me an idiot?

alterion
17-07-2005, 09:02
i unlike other do hate the way ea have messed upo the game (though i hate in english). i fail to see why when attempoting to get inot a clan match i had there is any excuse for it taking nealry an hour all told before i was in the game.. just in tim for the map to finfish and another loading screen that makes you wonder what exatly tey have put on your hdd. poeple won;t follow orderes becuse they are idiots or the wrong class ( i.e i hate getting orders as sniper cause i know i cant do them) . It must be mentioned though that sometimes you are carriying out orders but commanders som times do not appreciate the time it take sto gte somewhere

Gavmo
17-07-2005, 09:09
Whats this new patch and where do I get it? I need my BF2 fix for today!!! :(

Gavmo
17-07-2005, 09:14
Aaaahhhh... Got it. EA games website. :cool:

nick
17-07-2005, 10:57
I'm wondering if its worth hosting a server here... we have tonnes of spare bandwidth so it could be worth a go.

Nick

Samoth
17-07-2005, 14:35
That would be fun. :) Probably only the 16 player maps though. 32 at the most, and even then only if it is needed. We'd also have to arrange a time for games, because there wouldn't be many people who would stumble in, warseer's or not.

alterion
17-07-2005, 14:36
nick.. on your head be it.. you propbably need at least 10megs a sec of connection just for the sevrer( and preferably a lot more) the minimum server specs are also quite bad and i wouldn;t have thought ours would be up to it.. having said that i rmember that his was orginally a gmae server we are trunning on so you could give it a go. you could trial it for a week and see if it runs well ?

Thalin
17-07-2005, 15:08
A game server here would be good, but only if it's possible!

Sojourner
17-07-2005, 15:26
W00t! Warseer clan? Awesome. I'll play.

nick
17-07-2005, 16:37
nick.. on your head be it.. you propbably need at least 10megs a sec of connection just for the sevrer( and preferably a lot more) the minimum server specs are also quite bad and i wouldn;t have thought ours would be up to it.. having said that i rmember that his was orginally a gmae server we are trunning on so you could give it a go. you could trial it for a week and see if it runs well ?
We have about 750GB/month as part of the package we bought. If you do the maths thats about a 2Mb/s connection running full speed for an entire month. (If i remember right). The specs are also higher than the forum actually needs to allow for growth so we could make use of the spare runtime. My big concern is security, considering how badly EA did the first patch will they actually do a good job on securing the server code?

For your info take a look here for our specs http://www.strato.de/server/highend/index.html we got the LR package which seems to fit the server spec.

I'll look into the possibility and I'll keep you all informed.

Nick

alterion
17-07-2005, 16:50
looks quite nice actually.. i guess you could run it.. i have no idea about the server code.. i dont do programming so..

nick
17-07-2005, 16:52
Ok, had a word with someone from EA and they say we should be ok with a 16 or 32 player server... :)

Nick

Samoth
17-07-2005, 17:24
I doubt we'd have much more than 16 players anyway. But it's still be great fun, infantry combat is great. Until some lug gets into a t-90.

nick
17-07-2005, 17:30
I've got it all installed but I'm trying to set up the firewall correctly now so that only the main game port is open to the world.

Nick

Ravening Wh0re
17-07-2005, 17:34
wow! awesome. time to get my ninja pc fixed then....

Thalin
17-07-2005, 17:52
Cool. If Royal Mail does what it says in delivering the next working day, I should recieve it by Tuesday, and would like to have a game with you guys then. Are you going to password the server for only Warseer members? That would be better IMO.

Thalin
17-07-2005, 17:53
Oh, and off topic I know, why does my post count say 5 when I have 12?

nick
17-07-2005, 17:53
Anyone who already has BF2 these are the details:

Battlefield II Dedicated Server v1.1.2484.0(IA-32)
"Warseer Server" Average FPS: 25 [d:0, o:4364]
IP: 85.214.18.194 Port: 16567 Map: strike_at_karkand
Game mode: gpm_cq/32 Mod: bf2
Players: 0/32 (1 connecting) Round: 1/3 Status: [playing]

Nick

Thalin
17-07-2005, 17:58
Bloody heck that was quick.

nick
17-07-2005, 18:00
Bloody heck that was quick.
I'm now going to look into the best way to secure it... :)

Ok, that should do for now... let me know if you want to meet up on the server for a game or two...

Nick

Star.Scream
17-07-2005, 19:36
>>>>>Wow, that whole server thing happend in less then a day, that is super-duper fast Nick, nice! Warseer Server, I love it. I dont know how you do it Nick, but you continue to amaze me!

The only down side is that I live in Western Canada, so I'm not sure how the lag will be for me (I tried a German server a few weeks ago for kicks, 190+ ping, ouch!), I assume the server is on the other side of the good ol' pond, but I'll give it a shot; looking forward to gameing with you guys :)

Perhaps it is a good Idea to post your BF2 handle in this thread as well.
My handle is: Ey3.K0n, I dont like usiing Numerals a lot, but the original way I wanted to spell it was already taken, EyeKon.

nick
17-07-2005, 19:49
Hi Star.Scream

Sorry i wasn't very talkative i couldn't remember what the key for say was. What was your ping like?

Nick

Samoth
18-07-2005, 09:43
No mike for me, but I'm MC Samoth. Will have to go to a lan cafe and give this a go.

alterion
18-07-2005, 10:00
i'll try it out today as son as i've sold off my kal online stock

Tyra_Nid
18-07-2005, 12:42
As a huge fan of vanilla BF and DC, BF2 is a great step forward :)

The squads/commander really make the game. When you are playing with a good squad, all on mics, it goes from fantastic to teh best bloody game ever. Cant wait till the ladder starts and i can get some clan games in.

Sojourner
18-07-2005, 13:01
All those longing to say "Broken arrow, broken arrow, broken arrow" over the mic raise their hands...

*raises*

Samoth
19-07-2005, 15:39
B2's would be cool. :D

Tried getting on today, but no luck, got the ubiquious "check your network settings" error. What's the patch on the server nick?

nick
19-07-2005, 17:06
The patch version as mentioned above is 1.2 (actually its 1.1 build 2480 i think) they simply up'ed the build number with the latest version of the patch.

Edit: oops looks like i closed it down last night, its back now.

Nick

Samoth
20-07-2005, 12:54
Aah ok, cool. I'll give it a go again another day.

Chuffy
30-07-2005, 16:55
Does anybody play on the Wartent....I mean warseer server?

nick
30-07-2005, 18:41
As so few people were using it i took it offline, but if anyone wants to try it let me know.

I cannot get onto the server my mates use so i need somewhere else...

Nick

Rabid Bunny 666
30-07-2005, 18:48
played the demo rund my mates (shinobi on here) and enjoyed it, especially the headset :D

can't fly but do like the engineers shotgun with the MASSIVE recoil and the second rifle for spec ops

nick
30-07-2005, 19:43
Anyone here want a game? I'm in the server and its really quiet.

Just search for the server name WarSeer.

Nick

Chuffy
30-07-2005, 19:55
Sounds cool, I'll see if I can.

nick
30-07-2005, 21:28
Well we had a game on it, but not with enough people... come on guys!

Shall we say sunday at 19:00 BST (GMT+1)? Anyone able to join please do. As you might guess i'm -=WarSeer=-

Nick

Chuffy
30-07-2005, 21:40
I tried to find it but I couldn't, whats the actual name?

nick
30-07-2005, 21:42
The name is simply "warseer server".

Nick

Samoth
31-07-2005, 08:56
How many people is not many? 2? :p

Thalin
31-07-2005, 09:06
I'd be interested in a game at that time today, but only if others turn up. Please reply if you are willing to turn up.

What time is that GMT (London)?

nick
31-07-2005, 12:40
I'd be interested in a game at that time today, but only if others turn up. Please reply if you are willing to turn up.

What time is that GMT (London)?
Hi, I'll certainly be there and I hope to drag along a few others. If your in london then the local time is actually BST not GMT so you are looking at being there at 19:00. If you are actually in GMT then that would be 18:00.

Nick

Chuffy
31-07-2005, 15:37
BMT, GMT, bah!

I'll just check at 6 and 7. :)

nick
31-07-2005, 18:31
I've got a few people who agreed to play. Come on guys!

:)

Nick

Some guy (UK)
31-07-2005, 19:49
Right this game has caught my attention, and im wondering wether it will run my machine at at-least medium settings, as my friend who has a very similar machine to me can only just run the game, and it takes an age to load.

So here are my specs:

dell dimension 4600

pentium p4 prosessor
windows xp home
nVidia FX 5200 (latest drivers)
768 mb of ram
fast broadband connection (online play)
Latest direct X

I've been wondering this because when i read the back of the box, it said my graphics card wasnt supported (but apparently as long as you have got the latest drivers for for my card you should be fine), and that it needs a fair amount of ram at the miminum.

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

Sojourner
31-07-2005, 20:06
You'll struggle, seriously. Try the demo, if people keep telling you you're lagging, forget it.

Chuffy
31-07-2005, 20:07
dell dimension 4600
pentium p4 prosessor

:eyebrows:

I don't even know how you can sit at something like that.

Sickening.

nick
31-07-2005, 22:57
So here are my specs:

dell dimension 4600

pentium p4 prosessor
windows xp home
nVidia FX 5200 (latest drivers)
768 mb of ram
fast broadband connection (online play)
Latest direct X
Ok, I would strongly suggest getting a better graphics card for this game. It is very graphics intensive and unless you have 128MB of video memory you will find yourself having problems. The amount of memory you have seems fine though.

As was said earlier, try the demo to see if you can run it.

Nick

Vesk
31-07-2005, 23:54
I'll look into trying to get a game in with you guys.

Combat Medic to the rescue! :D

Sojourner
01-08-2005, 09:05
Best way to medic is to do a medevac run. Anybody injured, get them to hop into the chopper.

Of course, if they're dead, this can be a problem. Getting to the dead guys before they're unsaveable is a pain in the ass anyway.

I have noticed you definitely get very high scores for doing medical. People are always ready to get shot in front of you.

Chuffy
01-08-2005, 10:00
One thing I've noticed about medics is that when they're trying to revive someone who's down they'll try to do it even if there are still bullets flying about the place. One time I got shot when I was running across a bit of open ground in Mushtar City (?) and a medic on my team tried to revive me but just got shot aswell.

Yeah so you really have to be clever with medics.

Some guy (UK)
01-08-2005, 10:49
just to edit what i said earlier. my graphics card is:

nVidia 128mb fx 5200 (not sure which order you write it in)

Does that help???

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

Sojourner
01-08-2005, 10:51
TRY IT. Get the demo. See how it plays.

Ares
05-08-2005, 06:14
I love BF2 but there is a major problem.... my bloody mates keep hogging my computer since their weedy machines cant handle it.

Dont you hate runway campers who will not move so you run them over, then punish you till you get kicked from the server all because they want a plane :(

Nautilus
05-08-2005, 09:01
Greetings all,
I bought the game yesterday and today I'll pick up a headset on the way home from work. I should be able to istall and play tommorrow, Saturday 6th and hopefully will learn the game then. It would be good to play with some Warseer players instead of randoms as its the random ********s out there that put me off multiplayer games to be honest. Is the game fairly easy to pick up and play?

Also I was wondering about installation and the patches. Do I just look for patch 1.2 out there on the net somewhere or will it do it automatically?

Lastly - any tipson a headset Will any do or is there a big difference in the types available? It mentions a USB headset on the specs, does that mean that it has to be a USB attatchment? The headsets I saw in GAme the other day were not USB.

Cheers for any help.

Nautilus
05-08-2005, 15:27
Well. I've just had my first few games of single player and very cool it was too. Except that its one of those games where the instruction manual only gives you about a quarter of the info you need for some reason. So can anyone point me to where I'll find a key for all the various symbols and colours on the radar map please?

Verergoca
05-08-2005, 15:33
Ehm, Icons on the radar...

A dot= nme infantry
A crosshair = sniper
ehm.. the vehicles look kind of similar, small differences between armour, youll learn ingame. The FAV is like a small box with 4 wheels.

Every plane looks like one of those planes you had in the arcade flying games ages ago.

Choppers; a chopper with 2 blades is an attack chopper, 4 blades means a transport chopper.

Boat, looks like a boat:)

On headsets, I have the Logitech Precision PC Gaming headset, and its great. It isnt USB, but that doesnt make much of a difference...

Nautilus
05-08-2005, 16:41
Cheers - any idea about other icons such as the purple shield, the sword, the long straight line eminating from my position (sometimes purple sometimes grey). Also Yellow dots and yellow star.

When my squad leader tells me to attack a position, is that represented on teh map? its not clear.

Cheers

Chuffy
05-08-2005, 17:02
Cheers - any idea about other icons such as the purple shield, the sword, the long straight line eminating from my position (sometimes purple sometimes grey). Also Yellow dots and yellow star.

When my squad leader tells me to attack a position, is that represented on teh map? its not clear.

Cheers

Thats what the sword and shield etc represent, your squad leaders orders.

Sojourner
05-08-2005, 17:19
You realise you have to confirm the order, and you can only do that when you're a squad leader?

Nautilus
05-08-2005, 18:02
:mad: Why do companies go to all the effort of finely crafting a game, and then neglect to tell us how to play it?

Anyway - so if I'm squad leader, I acept an order to attack something, it should give me a marker on the map to attack?

Falcon
05-08-2005, 19:47
I got BF2. I do not have a lot of players in the vicinity and also no high bandwith link. Neeldess to say, I was rather disappointed with the single player support, especially after BF1945. (I would have appreciated a note on the cover saying "do not buy this for single player!" >:-(

Sojourner
05-08-2005, 21:00
It does indeed. Orders are for squads - though if you're on your own you are in effect your own squad leader.

Fusion
06-08-2005, 11:40
I got it last week, and bought 1gb of RAM to make sure my PC is happy.

Anyhoo, I've started playing as a medic, and the upgraded weapon is rather handy for light sniper duties. I'll keep dropping into the Porseer server to see who's playing as normally I play on Aussie servers. Oh, and I go by the name "Aphex_Fusion" .

Chuffy
06-08-2005, 11:57
When do you get access to your new weapons?

Right now I'm a Lance Corporal and I haven't got that sweet sweet looking G3 assault rifle.

Nautilus
06-08-2005, 14:19
Could anyone help me with my mike? My headset has a pink plug and a black one and I cant seem to get comms going at all. The pink plug obviously goes in the pink socket but perhaps I'm getting the black plug wrong? these are the sockets I have on the back of my pc - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/PaleKing/Random%20stuff/sockets.png I'm not sure which of these I should be plugging the black one into. None see to help. I assume its pink into pink, and black into green (green usually has my speakers)

If I speak to squad I get no reply and the only time it seemed that a commander was getting in touch all I heard was a buzz when the yellow mike symbol came on.

My squad all seem to have the grey microphone symbol next to there name in the squad page but there was no voice speak going on, just text. How do I find groups that are using mikes please?

Also - It seemed that when I was in game there was only one or two people listed on my side, but there were others running about. Any help would be appreciated as the instructions are hopeless.
Cheers

Samoth
06-08-2005, 16:19
A sword is an order to attack that position (where the sword is on the map), an arrow is a move to order, a shields is a defend order, etc.

Nautilus
06-08-2005, 18:27
Is there any way of checking whether people using headsets for the game when checking servers? It would be good to play with others who are using headsets but it seems that most people are not, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Star.Scream
06-08-2005, 20:22
>>>>>A lot of people dont bother with the in-game voice over, because , quite simpley, is horrible. The quality and volume that BF2 supports is just horrid; EA dropped the ball here as far as I'm concerned. Most people who use Voice over are a bunch of guys that know each in real life and log onto their on Ventrilo (or Teamspeak), or if they are apart of a clan/guild that is running their own Voice comm for their members.

If you've played CounterStrike and are looking for a Voice over in BF2 the way it is in CSS, then your not going to find it. I had to admit this, but CSS is better for regular ingame Voice comm.

Alex_H
07-08-2005, 12:31
I find the best way to find out who's using voice comms is just to shout Hello, and see who replies.

Sojourner
07-08-2005, 13:18
Or, if you're in a jet "Red five standing by"

:D

Chuffy
07-08-2005, 17:08
I'll ask this again, what rank do you need to be to unlock the different weapons? Or is it based on badges?

I'm a lance corporal, still no shiney new guns.

Star.Scream
07-08-2005, 19:46
>>>>>I found the following info regarding unlocks from this link (http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/battlefield_2_awards.txt) (near the bottom of the faq).

Due to popular request, I have added this section into the guide. Here I
will go over each promotion, the required amount of points, and the weapon
unlocks. Some of the information on the ranks might be slightly off. I
know a few require certain awards to attain. Please be patient as we learn
more over time about the promotions. Without much more delay, I give you
the promotions list!

Pay grade | Rank (Global Score) - Status

E1 | Private (0) - No Unlock
E2 | Private First Class (500) - No Unlock
E3 | Lance Corporal (1,000) - 1st Unlock
E4 | Corporal (10,500) - 2nd Unlock
E5 | Sergeant (25,000) - 3rd Unlock
E6 | Staff Sergeant (50,000) - 4th Unlock
E7 | Gunnery Sergeant (75,000) - 5th Unlock
E8 | Master Sergeant (150,000) - 6th Unlock
E8 | **First Sergeant (150,000) - 6th Unlock
E9 | Master Gunnery Sergeant (250,000) - 7th Unlock
E9 | **Sergeant Major (250,000) - 7th Unlock
E9 | Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps (2,500,000) - No Unlock

This is a list of the Marine Corps Ranks in which the game is based off
of. The game has no officer ranks, only enlisted ranks. The levels of pay
grade (E1-9) are listed at the left of the rank. This is the order in
which you get promoted in. For the pay grades with multiple ranks it means
medals are required to get that rank. The ones marked with **, First
Sergeant and Sergeant Major, require medals to attain them. Sergeant Major
of the Marine Corps is the top enlisted rank. This is also known as the
Battlefield Commander and only one individual can hold this position.

Regarding unlocks; it takes the system some time to recognize that you've actually been prompoted, even if it announced it in game. Generally a quick log out/log in will wake it up; but sometimes it will take several hours or as long as a day. When you log in and it annoucned right away you've been raised and then gives the options for the allowed unlocked weapons; be very carefull of which one you unlock, because there is no way to undo it!

Personally I love the new Anti-Tank shotgun, I dread the standard MachineGun that comes basic with it; the new Sniper Rifle is very nice, but I only recomend it if you do a lot of sniping, or if you plan to. The second Medic Rifle is very nice, far more accurate. I dont reccomend the Second Assault Rifle; it has better damage and accuracy, but you loose the grenadge launcher (which is why anyone chooses the Assault kit).

Chuffy
07-08-2005, 22:36
Yes I found that out just as I posted and then booted up BF2.

I actually like the G3, it is a shame it doesn't have the launcher, but I did most of my killing with the actual gun anyway and since I've been using it my kill rates have shot right up (I use my assault rifle like a medium ranged rapid firing sniper rifle, very nasty).

Shinobi
02-09-2005, 00:02
Alrighty! I'm getting Battlefield 2 imminently so I'm up for a game! :D

nick
02-09-2005, 08:52
By the way, I took the battlefield 2 server offline as we are beginning to need the full server resources.

Nick

Samoth
02-09-2005, 17:06
I thought so. Aahwell, probably too-small-a community anyway. :(

Disposable Hero
03-09-2005, 14:19
Argh argh!
Reading through 9 pages to find out that the server is offline?
Any chance of you bringing it back up, Nick?

I'll be getting my new machine on Monday and BF2 along with it, so I am ready to go! :)

nick
03-09-2005, 16:16
Argh argh!
Reading through 9 pages to find out that the server is offline?
Any chance of you bringing it back up, Nick?

I'll be getting my new machine on Monday and BF2 along with it, so I am ready to go! :)
Theres not much point running it unless we want regular games between ourselves. So far this hasn't been sucessful so I shut the server down again. If you can get 4+ users to agree to a time/date for a game I'll put it back online.

Nick

Disposable Hero
03-09-2005, 17:09
Common guys, let's get together on this one!

Sojourner
04-09-2005, 12:41
I've recently formulated a game-winning personal strategy that cannot possibly fail ever:

1. Choose Engineer
2. Pull out shotgun
3. Make everything die.

nick
04-09-2005, 13:30
I've recently formulated a game-winning personal strategy that cannot possibly fail ever:

1. Choose Engineer
2. Pull out shotgun
3. Make everything die.
Yeah the Engineer is a great kit to use. Another useful trick is to get driven around in a rank/apc/jeep. I believe you automatically repair the vehicle even when you have a gun selected. Word of warning, repairing takes ages so if the damage becomes too great jump ship.

Nick

Sojourner
04-09-2005, 13:32
You can get great scores as an Engineer and the other players appreciate the fact you're running around in the line of fire and keeping them alive, it's great.

Plus the 'BOFF' of a shotgun to a fat Yanqui face is always rewarding.

Shinobi
04-09-2005, 16:47
Just as I suspected, I did get it (W000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000T!)

My network connection is ****-poor though.

If you're trying to organise a game I suggest you get Xfire. It makes joining games a lot easier as you can directly join your contacts games (if you have the game installed obviously...)

alterion
04-09-2005, 17:12
now that i am back i will play in any warseer match we can organise providing i am not in a clan one at the same time.

Chuffy
05-09-2005, 08:17

1. Choose Engineer
2. Pull out shotgun
3. Make everything die.

Not if you get brought down before you can get in range.

Also I find one of the most rewarding things to do is to bring that god damn black hawk down on Mashtuur City with an anti-tank missle. Six kills, your teams hero.

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 10:05
Diving on the ground is your friend. People don't do it enough - probably CS or console converts. N00bs.

Samoth
05-09-2005, 13:10
Yeah the Engineer is a great kit to use. Another useful trick is to get driven around in a rank/apc/jeep. I believe you automatically repair the vehicle even when you have a gun selected. Word of warning, repairing takes ages so if the damage becomes too great jump ship.

Nick

Sadly, as I learned, this is not true. You have to be in a position where you can select a gun from your kit, pull out the wrench, and continiously wrench. Also, you can only have one guy wrenching at once. But, no matter what you are doing, if you are in a vehicle as a "teamwork" kit (medic, support, engy) you will dish out your "teamwork" (health, ammo, repairs, and all other methods of stat padding) to anyone nearby. This means two vehicles next to each other will repair each other. Devastating.

Chuffy: That, or sniping the pilot with an m95 and no one realising it until it's too late.

1 Shot, 6 kills. :D

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 14:33
Can you do that? I've used my entire supply of ammo on a helicopter cockpit and never penetrated, and I'm not that bad a shot.

Chuffy
05-09-2005, 16:29
Can you do that? I've used my entire supply of ammo on a helicopter cockpit and never penetrated, and I'm not that bad a shot.

You need the upgraded Sniper Rifle, it's alot more poowerful than the normal one.

He Who Laughs
08-05-2006, 00:28
*stops digging, puts shovel to one side*
Ahha! I've found it!
*blows dust off the thread, and removes spiderwebs*

Okay, sorry for the blatant thread-necromancy - but I'm a bit behind the times.

Despite wanting to play this game so badly ever since it came out (and this thread started, last year :( ) I've only just recently been able to upgrade my computer to be able to play it. I've played BF2 online at a mates place, and loved it - and have managed to get hold of the demo (16-player Gulf of Oman - only single player for me, I'm still stuck with dial-up) - which, despite the numpty AI is great fun! :D

Now, I won't be getting broadband for a while yet - but I'm still thinking about getting the full game anyway, just to play single-player and get some practice up with the controls for the time being (I do realise the AI is nothing compared to playing online).

Is the single-player just like multi-player (ie Conquest), but just with AI troops instead? I was hoping to practice with aircraft in single-player, do the maps in single-player occassionally have aircraft in them?

neXus6
08-05-2006, 00:36
I've played BF 1942, BF Vietnam and BF2. I have to say that I like BF2 the least. Yeah sure the graphics are better, but the gameplay of the previous two games is just simply more fun. Even then the Call of Duty games have struck me as more fun in multiplayer than any of the BF series.

Mind you while I own 1942 and Vietnam (and I've played 2 a fair bit) I do have a strong dislike of EA which could be pushing my judgement, but really I just didn't find Battlefield 2 much fun. :(

He Who Laughs
08-05-2006, 00:49
Fair enough. In terms of gameplay and ease of controls etc - I prefer the Call of Duty series - but I enjoy BF2 as it doesn't involve shooting Germans (my girlfriend is German, and so I don't like playing CoD when she's nearby, obviously).

So nexus6, can you shed any light on my BF2 single-player question?

Kahadras
08-05-2006, 01:07
I really enjoy BF2. I just got the Euro force update and have been messing around on them lately. I think the game is well set up but has some balancing issues and the rate at which you unlock new kit is painfully slow. I would give it a seven out of ten overall as there are things that could be improved.

Kahadras

He Who Laughs
08-05-2006, 01:10
Cool, a mate of mine has EuroForces, but as far as I can tell - he hasn't had a chance to play it due to the random nature of the maps that cycle round.

So - has anyone actually played BF2 in single-player mode??

I need to get my "C4+tank = Boomski!" tactics downpat :evilgrin:

neXus6
08-05-2006, 04:12
I'm sure I have played it in single player, I just can't really remember. But the battlefield series has never had a "story" single player. 1942 strung all the maps into a campaign but Vietnam doesn't even have that. So I'm guessing you can practice against bots on the mp maps in 2. :)

As for the shooting german thing...I tend to always go german unless I get forced not to. Meanwhile in BF 2 I just plain hate going american. :p
I had a brief run about on FEARS mp it's pretty crazy, very clostrophobic maps and lots of killing, it had been years and years since I'd played a deathmatch. :D