PDA

View Full Version : Wraped Resin-what to do? Problems with my Chaos flyers

grave digger
28-01-2007, 02:46
Well, I just opened up my pack of Hell Blades and found all three to have their prows catiwampus (please excuse the techincal term) to the other.

I remember reading a thread in the past on how to correct this but I can not find it at this time. Anyone able to help?

Also, one of the Hell Talons I recived has a horrible cast on the top fin. It's almost a blur, no sharp features. Will FW give me one in better condition or am I stuck with it?

Sample pics can be found here:
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/g_digger/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/

Any advise?

Diggs

Duckman
28-01-2007, 03:08
I believe that you could get a lighter or a space heater and hold it there in till it gets soft and then move it but I'd be care full if you heat it you could use detail also I dono about resin I know it works on plastic also if you use a lighter be careful you don't burn it

fattdex
28-01-2007, 03:11
AFAIK, put them in warm water for a while and they will be able to be bended back into shape.

CyberShadow
28-01-2007, 08:38
You want to apply a gentle heat. It takes less than you would think to make resin softer. I would avoid a lighter or direct heat source, warm/hot water seems to work best.

njbumper
28-01-2007, 09:20
I read put in warm water then carefully bend back to shape

Spacker
28-01-2007, 09:21
Yeah, warm water is great, I had converging Hydra barrels (on the 40k kit) and cured them nicely like this - left them in warm water for a few minutes, then took them out and wedged stuff between the barrels to align them, then left them to cool down and dry out. They haven't warped back yet and it's been months :)

I've got to do my Epic Hydra platforms, all but one of the gun pairs is badly warped.

grave digger
28-01-2007, 17:26
Thanx for the help gentelmen. I shall try it out later today.

Diggs

rkunisch
28-01-2007, 19:02
Will FW give me one in better condition or am I stuck with it?
I is definitely worth to give them a call. Usually their customer support is as spot on as it is always from Games Workshop. It is a pity, that they lack in the quality control department, but I never ever had a problem with them resolving such issues.

I think the demand on Aeronautica Imperialis (and the models for it) highly surprised them. Maybe that is the reason why the quality lacks a bit.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Thaiss
29-01-2007, 20:13
Warm water is best and remember after you have them back into shape wash all the figure in soapy water to remove all the releasing agent, otherwise when you come to paint them you'll find that the paint will flake off.

Slekith
29-01-2007, 23:34
I believe that you could get a lighter or a space heater and hold it there in till it gets soft and then move it but I'd be care full if you heat it you could use detail also I dono about resin I know it works on plastic also if you use a lighter be careful you don't burn it

DO NOT DO THAT!!! Don't expose resin to a flame. Use hot water instead and you'll be able to get the catiwampus or whatever that is right :D

grave digger
30-01-2007, 02:16
Thanx guys,

I finally got out the warm water. Placed the ships in and after about 5min of soaking...BAM! Instant fix.

Slekith,

don't worry. I never thought that would be a good idea. I'm a big wimp when it comes to fire and expensive models:p

Thank you to all who replied. Now to get to the drybrushing.

Diggs

Cartographer
01-02-2007, 00:56
Boiling kettle + cup of ice water

Hold the offending part over the spout as the water comes to boil , takes about 2 seconds, just don't burn you fingers in the steam.
Quench in the ice water when you have them in the shape you want, et voila!