PDA

View Full Version : Hive Fleet Nostromo Painting Project

Deviant
28-01-2007, 16:10
I'm ashamed to admit that i'm one of these people who plays with mostly grey, silver or black models (aka unpainted) and have finally decided to buck my ideas up by getting my nids painted up to a point where they look good on the table, this involves basic paint jobs on more than 3000pts worth, then i can start touching up with better highlights, inks etc. So i've just gone and bought 50 worth of paint and brushes, as in the last few years almost all of mine has disappeared/dried up.

However, knowing that i ussually paint a little then give up i thought i'd start a project thread to help me stick with it.

This is the current state of my nids:-

On sprues:-
3 warriors
16 gaunts (half termies, half hormies)
? ripper bases

Glued:-
24 termies
24 basic stealers
Gun fex

Undercoated:-
Gun tyrant
3 lictors
3 raveners
zoanthrope
5 assault warriors
4 shooty warriors
broodlord
8 uber stealers
24 taloned stealers
23 hormies
5 ripper bases

Painted:-
Combat fex
1 hormie

My plan is to get at least one unit painted every week starting from when the paint arrives. Then when it's all done i'll base it all to match my table (ash wastes modular board/cityfight battlemat). Then i'll start doing more detail (bone talons, better highlights, anything else i think of).

My test pieces:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/D3VNT/PIC00220.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/D3VNT/PIC00219.jpg

The whole army as it is now (minus sprue stuff):-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/D3VNT/IMG_0844.jpg

Any hints, tips, comments and criticisms welcome.

azironlegion
29-01-2007, 05:32
ooh another nid player. I look forward to seeing the swarm when its finished.
It may only be the pics and you probably have plans to take care of it already but I cant really make out any shading or highlights on the carapace. The skin looks good though.

any plans on creating a project log for this?

Welcome to the hive mind, may I take your biomatter?

Deviant
29-01-2007, 18:48
All that's been done so far is the basic three colours, scab red painted onto the flesh, grey drybrush on the carapace and skull white applied to the talons/claws. I intend to highlight the carapace and then darken it with a lot of thin layers of black ink as it's a tad too light at the moment for my liking, then it'll be painted with gloss varnish to make it shiny wheni have all the carapaces at this stage. the flesh will be highlighted blood red, the undercoat has been left in the recesses for shading. I'm tempted to add some threatening white markings to the back carapaces in an almost plain white, which will also all be done at once. Eventually the talons will all be bone, but i want to get everything done to look nice overall on the table before i start on the small details.

In the process of glueing all the sprue stuff, run out of bases for the rippers with 4 to do and i want to get two sets of FW wings for the assaulty warriors. Also remodelled my gunfex from BS + VC to BS + TLD, figure he might be able to make use of 'torrent of fire' occasionally on small units then (pie plate + 4 s6 TL re-roll wounds shots).

I've been with the hive mind since the last codex, I just lose the will to paint very quickly.

Managed to glue another 8 hormies and 3 ripper bases. Got enough rippers for 5 more bases, just not enough bases for them to go on. Also half glued the remaining termies.

Plan is to get everything apart from the 6 combat warriors ready for undercoat this weekend before the paint arrives. As for the warriors.....they're getting wings.

Deviant
30-01-2007, 18:30
I may well repaint the carapaces on the test models to try and emulate a beetle black carapace (I have some codex grey somewhere), as i'm starting to think a near solid grey is to much.

EDIT:- After looking around it seems all my sprays and useable paints have been lost in the move, expect they'll turn up just after i finish everything.

Huw_Dawson
30-01-2007, 19:30
Cool, a nid log! Don't get slack now or I'll be forced to devourer you for biomass. :chrome:

While I'm here, can someone please explain what is meant by "torrent of fire"? Is it a city fight rule or what? (I'm going to feel soooo dumb if it's in the BGB and I've missed it in my 10 times I've read the entire thing :p)

- Huw

Rogue 7
30-01-2007, 22:11
BGB. It's buried pretty deep, but it's there.

Deviant
30-01-2007, 22:17
It's a rule without a seperate heading, i struggled to find it even with a page reference. Pg 26 by the way.

Deviant
31-01-2007, 21:03
Also come up with a conversion idea, which i'll put down here so i don't forget, and also in case anyone has/wants to try it:-

Considering a red terror converted with wings and newer scything talons, counting as a winged titan, as he looks cool.

librerian_samae
01-02-2007, 13:51
Should be good, not to mention a nice unique center peice to your army

Deviant
02-02-2007, 10:50
Brought the cat back from having his injections today to find a couple of parcels by the door, got all excited. More spray, and a load of paints, but alas no brushes:cries:

jasevx
02-02-2007, 10:51
I'm sure 'Cat hair' will make do, he won't notice a couple missing ;)

Deviant
02-02-2007, 11:02
unfortunately brush fashioning is not one of my many skills. i'm still waiting on forgeworld wings for my warriors too before i spray all the grey stuff.

The Laughing God
02-02-2007, 11:51
I like the orange color, great job!
Looking forward to more progress!

hiveminion
02-02-2007, 20:31
Ooof, that's a lot of grey&black Nids. It sometimes surprises me how people can accumulate so many miniatures without painting some first;) .

I like the looks of the Scythed carnifex, a very nice pose. Think of this post as a subscription, I'm sure you'll need some occasional encouragement to finish this project!

Deviant
02-02-2007, 23:00
I've just this night finished the base coat for the tyrants skin. never putting another TMC together before everything's painted. will be doing the highlights and detail tomorrow, as well as trying to paint bone talons, although i'll be practicing that on something else first.

Apart from the deathleaper lictor, broodlord and some genestealers all of my nids came at once (army deal and one 50 box from other half). Plus i've generally not been playing much until recently, neither have i had useable paint or the will to start it. if i'm focussed i can probably get my tyrant done by tomorrow night, and if my extra brushes arrive (had to disappear down the local toy shop to get one, i was that determined).

The pose is the only reason i haven't re-armed him, he looks to cool like he is.

Deviant
17-02-2007, 16:56
Seems like this is going to have to wait a while longer, seems i accidentally threw out my new brushes with the packaging for the paints and i've misplaced my one remaining brush. Have got the vast majority of the tyrant done though, which is nice.

ReclecteR
17-04-2007, 08:10
Well come on then! lets see some bugs!
I agree that a bit more shading on the carapace would be nice, but it seems you have already piclked up on that. Ya know, for a small price, I could relieve you of some of that stuff :D
Well, as soon as you get those brushes, lets see some more pics!
Good Luck

fistofdorn
17-04-2007, 08:40
lookin good