PDA

View Full Version : galrauch any good?

lee
28-01-2007, 18:54
hi all

well today i got the first model for my chaos army. was going to have a lord on a chaos dragon so got galrauch. anway after looking at his rules am starting to think i might use him. any one used him

Mephistofeles
28-01-2007, 20:48
Well, he is rather expensive, but also very good.

If you like b ig nasty monsters that take a bigger chunk out of your points-total than out of your enemies army, than go ahead. Just, for the love of god, pray to Tzeentch that your opponents doesn't get control of him one or two turns a game...

lokigod
29-01-2007, 07:10
well he is basically like a tzeench greater demon with a drawback, but in his favor he cant be the general so you can keep mortal core.

Zanzibarthefirst
29-01-2007, 11:35
would you have to use hium in a 3000pts battle since he cannot be yor general, or could you use a hero as a general?

Mephistofeles
29-01-2007, 20:08
You can always have a hero as general, you don't have to have a lord choice as a general :)

mightygnoblar
30-01-2007, 19:05
Well, he is rather expensive, but also very good.

If you like b ig nasty monsters that take a bigger chunk out of your points-total than out of your enemies army, than go ahead. Just, for the love of god, pray to Tzeentch that your opponents doesn't get control of him one or two turns a game...

the chances of this are unlikely since he is ld10, and has an ability to re-roll one dice per turn, and so if he fails this he can re-roll the highest dice

Zanzibarthefirst
30-01-2007, 20:58
You can always have a hero as general, you don't have to have a lord choice as a general :)

really, i thought it had to be whoever had the highest ld, so i could have a bloodthirster and an exalted champion and it woud still count as a mortal army?

Slaaneshi Slave
30-01-2007, 21:03
No, Galrauch has a special rule which says he can't be a general, so you can take another (an Aspiring Champion, for example). If you have a Bloodthirster, he doesn't have this rule, so has to be the General (unless you have such a large force you have multiple Greater Daemons, then I have no idea what happens).

gjnoronh
30-01-2007, 22:11
In that case you can pick amongst models with equal leadership (happens all the time if you have multiple exalted champions for example and no lord character.) Of course if you had a marked greater daemon you couldn't include models with an alternate mark in your force (but an undivided Daemonic prince general woudl be okay.)

Zanzibarthefirst
31-01-2007, 00:08
so it's based on leadership then, damn. My two greater daemons are never going to get used now.

Neknoh
31-01-2007, 08:45
In 2k battles, no

In 3k battles, bring a Chaos Lord, Doombull or Daemonprince with a gift, and you will be able to field a Greater Daemon in a Beast or Mortal army

Nekharoth
31-01-2007, 12:40
If you like b ig nasty monsters that take a bigger chunk out of your points-total than out of your enemies army, than go ahead.

I think what often makes the difference here is the fact that creatures like Galrauch are so difficult to kill (especially with the re-rolls and all...) that you can almost rest assured that the points spent on Galrauch will be denied from your opponent's VP total in nearly all games - so it doesn't really matter if Galrauch mananges to kill his points-value-worth of enemy troops. in fact, i think you'll find that many experienced players will try use avoidance tactics against a creature like Galrauch and try to win the game by taking down the rest of your army. for you - this means that Galrauch can be an invaluable addition to your army if you support him with other units (like as in MSU tactics) and try to resist the temptation to use his flying ability to wander too far from your main battle line.

lee
31-01-2007, 13:42
so what would be good to support him?