PDA

View Full Version : Chaos - Blade of Blood questions

Engra Deathsword
28-01-2007, 23:29
Hey guys,

I have a couple questions about the chaos magic item, the Blade of Blood. In the chaos army book description it states that the wielder has to make a strength test for each unsaved wound the sword causes. If the test is passed, the wielder gains a wound, if not the wielder loses a wound.

Now, the first question is, do wounds loss due to failing the strength test count toward my opponent's combat resolution score?

Second, my friend was playing a night goblin army, and had netters (i don't know what the specific name for the unit type is). Once my character is netted by the goblins, the character loses one point of strength. So the question is, when I make the strength tests for the blade, do I use the base attribute score of the character or the modified one from being netted?

Gn0b
29-01-2007, 00:51
no, i do not think this wound would count toward the combat resolution, because it would not count if you gained a wound.
you would take the str test a you original strenght, because the nets are reducing your str in the combat itself but not for out-of-combat purposes.

sds661
29-01-2007, 02:01
I agree that I wouldn't count the wound in combat resolution ... but as to the strength test, I'm not so sure. The Blade of Blood is my favourite Chaos weapon ... and I'm always up against Goblins ... but here I think I would have to give the advantage to the greenskins unless there is clear evidence otherwise.

(This problem could well come up in my next battle. It would be good to know in advance how it should be played. Forewarned is forearmed!)

alextroy
29-01-2007, 04:33
The netters rule state the affected unit has a -1 penalty to Strength until the end of the combat phase. I would read that as reducing your effective strength for the required Strength test.

TheWarSmith
29-01-2007, 05:04
gotta go with the rules as written here. He'd test on S4, not S5

GodHead
29-01-2007, 08:06
I think it would count to combat resolution. Plague Censers count for resolution when they kill your own guys, why shouldn't the Blade of Blood or Archaon's Sword?

Briohmar
29-01-2007, 15:20
I think it would count to combat resolution. Plague Censers count for resolution when they kill your own guys, why shouldn't the Blade of Blood or Archaon's Sword?

Indeed, I would have to go with this interpretation as well. If Archaon's daemonic sword wounds himself, those wounds count as CR, as do wounds caused by the skaven weapon of hit yourself, so why not the blade of blood.

sds661
30-01-2007, 01:46
On the question of "Blade of Blood wounds" counting in combat resolution ...

... from the examples given above there seems to be a case that wounding yourself should count to CR, but then to be consistent healing of wounds should also count ... and that doesn't feel right to me. It seems comparable to regeneration, and IIRC wounds that are regenerated are still counted as wounds with regard to combat resolution (otherwise regeneration is effectively just a ward save, isn't it?).

So I remain unconvinced either way. Does anyone know of something definitive?

Briohmar
30-01-2007, 06:02
from the examples given above there seems to be a case that wounding yourself should count to CR, but then to be consistent healing of wounds should also count ... and that doesn't feel right to me. It seems comparable to regeneration, and IIRC wounds that are regenerated are still counted as wounds with regard to combat resolution (otherwise regeneration is effectively just a ward save, isn't it?).

So I remain unconvinced either way. Does anyone know of something definitive?

Regeneration is effectively a ward save, and regenerated wounds don't count towards CR, at least as I read it. The blade of blood wounds are caused during the combat phase, and thus should be part of CR, just as any other unsaved wounds. I would treat wounds gained (if lost as well as regenerated, ie if your character did three wounds, two on the enemy and one on himself, but regained one, it would count as an enemy CR of 2) towards CR as well, but not wounds gained over the amount caused, ie, you went up from two wounds to four the enemy would not get -2 CR from the gain.

sds661
31-01-2007, 02:05
Understood. I can see that that could be argued. It does get a bit fiddly though, given that regained wounds are being treated differently to extra wounds ... and what about if I regain wounds lost from some previous round of combat? Still, I have no objection to playing it that way. I will see what my opponent thinks tonight.

Thanks

Engra Deathsword
03-02-2007, 07:16
thanks for all the responses!

Festus
03-02-2007, 08:44
Hi

Just to clarify: A Wound lost by the Blade counts.

The BRB tells us to calculate CR by simply adding up all the wounds suffered, no matter who caused them. BRB, p.37

So a healed wound will not count, and any suffered will count regardless. There can be exceptions due to Magic effects of items' or spells', though.

Festus

Neknoh
03-02-2007, 08:57
He does NOT REGAIN a wound, he GAINS a wound when passing the strength test, meaning that any previous wounds caused on him by the enemy will STILL count for Combat Resolution