View Full Version : Starting a Bretonnian Army

elmolovesthekroot
29-01-2007, 01:01
Ok Im starting my Bretonnian army and have the following so far:

24 Knights of the Realm (3 Boxes)
16 Peasant Archers
16 Men at Arms
The Bretonnian Book

What other stuff do I need? I know I need a General and a Lady Wizard.
Need some help here at tactics wise I was a speedy army with lots of Cavalry punch.

Thanks,
Elmo

Highborn
29-01-2007, 02:04
How many points did you want to build it to?

Nagrael
29-01-2007, 02:46
You'll need two generals actually one to be a battle standard bearer (mandatory for Brets) and then another to be your actual general. In addition it's a good idea to have a damsel unless your playing non magic armies.

Other additions as far as troops go that'd be a good idea really depend on the type of army you want to build and the point value. If you're going to 2000 and want to add stuff that will get you there I'd suggest the following:

Another box of M@A
Another box of Peasant Archers
A box of Pegasus Knights
A box of KotR (assemble at least one of your boxes as knight errants)
A box of Grail Knights

That should be a hefty amount of points after items and whatnot. I don't erally recommend archers as I bought a ton of them and they are near useless in most situations but M@A are good. Maybe replace your archers with even more M@A..I like to have 2 blocks of them on the table.

Yeomen are also a nice option as fast cav so you can bait people to charge instead of being the one baited all of the time. Another damsel if you're going to 2000 points is also a good idea as well as a second Paladin/Lord.

Z-chan
30-01-2007, 04:01
I say the Bowmen rock. Of course they aren't as good as Woodies, but hell can you field buckets of them and darken the entire battlefield with an entire forest's worth of arrows.

inane-fedaykin
30-01-2007, 04:05
Would opponents be angry if your entire deployment zone was bowmen? I think it would be funny.

scarletsquig
30-01-2007, 04:45
Heh, I've seen a 100-odd strong unit of skirmishing bowmen before (some guy had a bucketload of the old 5th edition models).

Death incarnate for 3 turns before it got charged :D

TheWarSmith
30-01-2007, 06:13
Making 1 100 man unit of them is fairly dumb, as many things can force panic tests just for 1 casualty(flame weapons, magic, etc.).

As a Bretonnian player, I'd REALLY suggest not using Men at Arms. I keep trying to justify them to myself, but they accomplish nothing game after game, even with multiple tactical redeployments.

But that being said, skirmishing peasant bowmen are VERY VERY good.

perrin23860
31-01-2007, 01:53
does anybody use the stakes with their bowmen, or are they always skirmishers?

adamstronach
31-01-2007, 05:42
my skirmishers(archers) spent game after game doing only one wound

then a thrull(VC) charged I stood and shot & the thrull died then his lord slotterd the archers(both thrull & lord could fly)

Reflex
31-01-2007, 06:09
Heh, I've seen a 100-odd strong unit of skirmishing bowmen before (some guy had a bucketload of the old 5th edition models).

Death incarnate for 3 turns before it got charged :D

i wouldent field a unit 100 strong, maybe 50 max, but i would chuck a damsel in the unit for the +LD, or just have a unit of knights near by. large skirmishing units are vary annoying though. you have them on a flank, about 6" from the table edge, with a hiugh LD unit near by, and they can destroy most flanks with only tanking minor casualties in return.

i swear by archers. they are tons better than MaA's. all MaA's seem to do is charge or get charged than run away, or die trying to run away. they do not make good combat fighters, leave that to the knights.

buy a battalion box if you can... but dont buy any more Men at Arms after that... unless you want some models to practice your painting.

Wez
31-01-2007, 16:43
You can use one of the KotR as a Battle Standard bearer (you must have one). Get a damsel (if on horseback, join a knightly unit, if not join the skirmishing archers or stay near them).

I'd suggest pegasus knights because they're plastic (so quite cheap compared to other stuff) and are great at picking off missile units, wizards, skirmishers and fast cavalry (which are currently the bane of your army).

You don't need to buy any other characters (Bsb/normal paladin can be made from basic KotR set).