PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Chaos list

Carcass
29-01-2007, 02:25
2000 points

Chaos Lord ( mark of slaanesh , rending sword, enchanted shield, binding of slaanesh , steed of slaanesh ) - 375

Chaos Sorcerer ( 2 dispel scrolls, mark of slaanesh ) - 190

Chaos sorcerer ( 2 dispel scrolls, lore of fire ) - 170

Core

24 Marauders ( full command, flails , shields ) -217

24 Marauders ( full command , hand weapon, shields ) - 193

12 chaos warriors ( full command, mark of slaanesh , hand weapon and shield ) - 230

12 chaos warriors ( full command , great weapons ) - 222

6 Marauder Horsemen ( flail, champion, musician , shields ) - 120

5 Chosen Knights - 275

i would gladly hear any comments and accept any help. thank you.

tyrion11482
29-01-2007, 02:43
I personaly disdain maurders all togather in a chaos army the enemy always ignored and they always die like mad in close combat T3..... also i say you need another fighter hero and drop the dispell scrolls off the one guy and get a power familiar or anything a lil bit more flavor[dice0]

also you need way more than a 12 chaos warriors you need at least 20-25 in a unit 12 warriors will get chewed up really fast

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 03:31
i would make the marauder and warrior units smaller and get another unti of knights. make one unit each of knights and warriors chosen.

dominic_carrillo
29-01-2007, 03:31
the choice is yours. hahaha

Keatonk
29-01-2007, 03:34
The list looks good

tyrion11482
29-01-2007, 03:37
mauders just dont have the staying power that warriors do toughness is so broken in this game. i would consider it one of the important 3 stats str T and attacks little else matters

Carcass
29-01-2007, 04:01
i find a 24 man unit to have the standar +5 on combat resolution. In a dice rolling game, i prefer to have at least some standar things in my army. The warriors are one a 6 rank and file formation, just to achieve more hits. They intend to flank the units that will pass the marauders or that they will stick with them in cc ( as the enemy needs at least to pass 5-6 wounds to break them ).
Yes i know that i can have big blocks of chaos warriors, but they are expensive for what they do , they are slow and with so many points on them i wont have any reliable units to support them.

Irakaz
29-01-2007, 12:34
I like the list its very similiar to one Im going to run tomorrow. Except I have beast chariots and a giant, hounds . . . . ok its a bit different. I am however using marauders in blocks of 24.

Just curious to know how you are intending to use them. I was thinking I might field them 6 wide rather than five. Ive seen them take a lot of hits but I generally give them hw/shield/light armour, not flails. They're just there for static res so I think flails are a waste and prefer a better save in combat. Unless a field smaller units of flails just for flanking.

If it was me Id give all the units the mark as well, just to keep flavour, but you would have to lose some units or tone down your Lord a bit for that. Although I find exalted champions are pretty good for the cost.

(I assume the chosen have full command as well, seemed to be like that with the cost, otherwise you have 50 more points to spend :))

You look a little vunerable to flying units as well. March blocking and rear attacks could be really annoying. Is your general solo? I dont think marked units could join units without the same mark.

Carcass
29-01-2007, 15:07
yes i have considered the option of putting the 6man wide , but losing one model i lose one static bonus from ranking, and as i said i prefer the +5 standar bonus resolution.
For protecting my flank i have the marauders as well as the chaos knights. They will be used as flankers and as flank protectors.
Yes i will play my lord solo. And i chose a lord for only one reason : this combo. I tend to throw him on units who have maximum +2 or +3 combat resolution, make a challenge and kill the champion of the group. With a rending sword i expect to make enough wounds for the overkill to win the combat.

Lightbringer
29-01-2007, 16:25
a chaos army wants to get to HtH as fast as possible...if ypur opponent wants to deny you that you need at last 4 rounds to run over the table....very very much shooting and magic you have to take with a huge amound of t3 4+ save troups.......:cries:

asrian
30-01-2007, 03:51
mauders just dont have the staying power that warriors do toughness is so broken in this game. i would consider it one of the important 3 stats str T and attacks little else matters

You're kidding, right? Marauders are not broken and neither is toughness. If T3 mauraders are useless then the same would hold true for all T3 armies...which besides Chaos, Orcs, Saurus, Dwarves and Ogres is basically about every other army out there. Wait. Yes, I see your point. All elf, goblin, empire, and skaven armies are doomed. Quick everyone, sell your armies now! :rolleyes:

I'll take movement over toughness anyday.

Makarion
30-01-2007, 07:58
Ayup, nothing worse than T3 humans. Totally worthless, use *only* models that cost 10+ points apiece.

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 08:45

true dat. get yoself some warriors

tyrion11482
31-01-2007, 03:03
You're kidding, right? Marauders are not broken and neither is toughness. If T3 mauraders are useless then the same would hold true for all T3 armies...which besides Chaos, Orcs, Saurus, Dwarves and Ogres is basically about every other army out there. Wait. Yes, I see your point. All elf, goblin, empire, and skaven armies are doomed. Quick everyone, sell your armies now! :rolleyes:

I'll take movement over toughness anyday.

movement is usefull but even if you play against a HE cav army they brake like waves on rocks on big chaos warrior units i.e. 20 + i have been on both sides of this and there is just no way around it. I usually play Tzeentch and use furies knights and a lord on either a disc or dragon and what does make it to my advancing warriors is usually laughable

Brother Maynard
31-01-2007, 03:16
If I may give you some advice on your Slaneesh list:

Drop the Lord and take a cheaper yet effective Exalted Champion. Give him the Whip of Pleasure, for the lovely strike first ability, and plop him into one of your Marauder units (preferably the one with the Light Armor, HW, and Shields.

Discard the shields on the Marauder units with the flails, both the foot unit and the Horsemen. The 1 point in armour does not do diddly. Marauders are cheap, yet effective in large numbers, and a unit with flails with a defensive unit with HW and shields is perfect.

The unit of Warrior with Geat Weapons are too much. You have one hammer unit, and that's enough. Dump the extra unit of warriors.

Now after trimming all the fat off, I'd spend those hot points on another Exalted Champion, this one on a Barded Steed, to ride forth to carnage with your chosen Knights. Also, a couple units of 5 Warhounds are a must for any decent Chaos Army..you will need them for cheap screens against shooty armies. If you have any points left over, you should look at Spawn of Slaneesh for a fast fear causing tar pit that will drive your opponent to wits end.

Anyway..that's my advice.

Good luck.
[dice0]

asrian
31-01-2007, 04:25
movement is usefull but even if you play against a HE cav army they brake like waves on rocks on big chaos warrior units i.e. 20 + i have been on both sides of this and there is just no way around it. I usually play Tzeentch and use furies knights and a lord on either a disc or dragon and what does make it to my advancing warriors is usually laughable

So you're a power gamer...that explains it.

tyrion11482
01-02-2007, 04:23
yeah i dont play lists unless i think i can win. I love that . you dont like the average stuff so your a power gammer LOL its called i win yup.:confused: :D

Makarion
01-02-2007, 18:48
Want to bet that any number of Empire and Bretonnian players are quite eager and capable to prove you wrong on the strength of the average human? It's not the model that counts the most, it's the formation and the skill which with they are maneuvered.

pcgamer72
01-02-2007, 20:11
I would drop the command from both of the Warrior units (except for possibly a musician) and then replace the ones that have HW and Shield with GWs as well. I would also recommend dropping 2 of the dispell scrolls (4 is a bit excessive) and possibly dropping the 6th Marauder Horsemen. This should allow you to field another unit of Marauder horsemen I believe, which will help you protect both flanks more easily and provide more fast, hard hitting backup power to your large Marauder blocks.

I run my Knights with full command, but I could see why you might not want to.

Hywel
02-02-2007, 00:57
Posts number 15 and 19 include tactical advice, congratulations lads.

I happen to agree with both of them, certainly the point trimming recommendations. What you do with the extra points is a matter of taste. I agree with pcgamer72 that some added maneouverability would be beneficial, and second Brother Maynard's mention of a spawn of slaanesh. Both units will add (or further) tactical dimensions to your army.

I strongly agree that the lord on steed of slaanesh is a little wasted. Characters by and large should combine with your troops to raise the effectiveness of both. The 375pts of lord can easily become an exalted champion for each of the marauder units, adding rank bonus to the character's killing power and vice versa. One with whip of slaanesh and another with armour of damnation, shield and sword of might would be my suggestion - still leaving you the 75pts for that spawn...

Oh, ok, the shield isn't included in that cost, but I'm sure you'll manage. :p