PDA

View Full Version : marauder horsemen with standard bearer

Carcass
29-01-2007, 02:34
Do you think is worth it ?
If you flee, you loose the upgrade but if you flank the enemy you wont worry if he gets +1 from his own standard.
What's your opinion ?

bigbear bailey
29-01-2007, 06:42
It will just cause the other people to get a free 100 points...

Hywel
29-01-2007, 11:20
Indeed, it's not a good idea. Musicians are all you want on horsemen.

Cloud Strife
29-01-2007, 16:56
pretty much the only light cavalry units in the game that should ideally get standards is Mounted Yeomen as they don't give your opponent any victory points.

as for standards on marauder horsemen it really depends on what is in your amry and what you plan to do with them as they are still struggling to really break ranked up units on their own even with a flank charge, but if you are looking to combine a flank charge with say a unit of knights without a standard or a chariot or two then yes it could be very handy as that's what I occasionally use Dark Riders with standards for in my Dark Elf army and each unit goes hunting with a Cold One chariot.

other minor point is that it could always be fun to get them to flank charge something that a Spawn is likely to get into combat with as even if you lose and flee they can't pursue due to the spawn and that means that while you lose the stick the enemy can't capture it.

Bubble Ghost
29-01-2007, 22:05
I'm going to fly in the face of conventional wisdom here (much as my entire dark elf army does, really) and say that banners can be great on light cavalry. I always pick them for my Dark Rider units. Firstly, if you're flanking with fast cavalry and lose, something has gone badly wrong anyway, so I wouldn't be worrying about the 100 VPs the banner has just cost you as much as the five or six hundred you're about to lose because your plan has fallen apart; and second, a banner makes attacks on soft targets all but whiff-proof. Thing is, fights involving fast cavalry are often very close, which means that a banner is a huge, huge boost in your favour, rather than simply an extra point of Ld penalty like it is in the one-sided fights you usually aim to set up. It makes a surprising difference. I didn't believe it until I tried it, but I'm a convert. Banners on light cavalry are the way forward.

Plus no one expects it, which is another edge, and if you're really lucky they'll even think they're in for an easy win against a newbie and get sloppy.:D At the very least, try it out.