PDA

View Full Version : Least chaotic traitor.

x-esiv-4c
17-07-2005, 05:16
Hi,
I'm going to be writing a short-story and its going to involve a chaos-marine but i'm not sure what legion. The CSM has to be able to function in society some what so something like "Zerkalla the Berzerker of Khorne" is right out.

Any suggestions?

Inquisitor Samos
17-07-2005, 05:32
I'm not sure any Space Marine can actually "function in society" to any degree that'd be remotely normal..... there's just something about being a seven-foot-plus-tall, superhumanly-strong and -fast, genetically engineered slab of muscle and hyper-dense bone structure that'd make it fairly hard to pass for "normal," at least in my opinion!

That said, the Alpha Legion is well-known for fomenting secret cult activities, and for infiltration activities in support of these..... I'd say they're the best bet to be interacting in at least a "pseudo-social" fashion on a fairly regular basis.

-=DoRbY=-
17-07-2005, 07:24
or possibly one of the Fallen, some of them have attempted to rejoin Human populations...

Lord-Warlock
17-07-2005, 10:51
Indeed, a heavily cloaked Alpha Legionnaire masquerading as a high-gravworlder would be your best bet. The Four Devoted are too special (though a Thousands Sons Sorcerer could work and an Emperor's Child *might* be an option if he could restrain himself), the Iron Warriors just don't have infiltrate society as their thing, and the Night Lords are too busy being ghoulish horrors. The Word Bearer might be an option though - he could pass as a hermit-preacher of something. The Black Legion might work too.

TenTailedCat
17-07-2005, 11:03
I'd go with Alpha Legion too, there's mention of them recruiting people and giving them some of the Marine implants, but without all the extra skeletal growth and things like Black Carapace, so they can move about in society without arousing suspicion, their objective is usually to act as a go-between for the Legion and the cults it founds - training them and fighting alongside them, also partaking in sabotage and terrorism I presume.
You can well imagine how superior to a normal man they are, with most of the biological advantages of a Marine, the incredible combat training, resistance to injury, torture and basic things like sleep deprivation, but also able to move around without raising suspicion, which a 7foot tall man monster in spikey armour undoubtedly would.

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-07-2005, 11:19
Indeed, a heavily cloaked Alpha Legionnaire masquerading as a high-gravworlder would be your best bet.

I believe you mean LOW-gravworlder.
High-grav world=short people.
Low-grav world=tall people.

But make sure no one sees the metal holes in his chest.

Edit: Word Bearers are apparently the only chas legion that keeps some order and structure, so a word bearer might be good. He would have good charisma and therefore could convince people that he is a normal human.

Lord-Warlock
17-07-2005, 11:31
Not really... High gravity worlds such as Krourk produce Ogryns, and a Marine in disguise might pass himself off as a proto-Ogryn or something to that effect.

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-07-2005, 11:40
I don't really think "I'm an Orgyn!" will make people believe you. Besides, Orgyns are wide, bulky and huge because of how they've adapted to their high-gravity worlds over many generations.

Height is determined by how likely you are to die if you fall over, the Orgyns are wide so they won't fall over and have thick bones and tough skin and muscle. On high-gravity worlds, the taller you are, the more likely you are to smack your head open against the floor, the shorter you are, the more likely you are to waddle around and not fall over.

On low gravity worlds you can grow tall and the low gravity means you won't smack your head open against the floor.

On normal gravity worlds humans can actually only healthily grow to be 3 metres, so the CSM could just be a very tall person.

mirakel_jocke
17-07-2005, 12:36
Take one of those Thousand sons that are just dust and a soul inside who function like midless automatums...! I am sure that they will behave prooerly and not call forth to mutch attnetion with their glowing eys and incapability to answer to someones question!

/Mirakel_Jocke :D

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-07-2005, 12:41
Take one of those Thousand sons that are just dust and a soul inside who function like midless automatums...! I am sure that they will behave prooerly and not call forth to mutch attnetion with their glowing eys and incapability to answer to someones question!

/Mirakel_Jocke :D

They can still talk, how else would they scream 'All is dust!'?

But the big headress and weird bolter with signs of chaos on them would be a bit of a give away.

gunhed
17-07-2005, 12:43
or possibly one of the Fallen, some of them have attempted to rejoin Human populations...

Being pre-Heresy, and a good proportion of them probably having come from the original indigenous population of Caliban, it's possible that not that many of them would have had the full set of implants unlike the Dark Angels that were developed on Terra in the Emperors labs.

So it's probable that they wouldn't have had as much trouble reintegrating into society as say a fully developed CSM.

They'd still stand out a bit though.

Brusilov
17-07-2005, 13:31
It's probable that either Alpha Legionnaire or Word Bearer would be a good bet (although as the novel Lord of the Night demonstrates, the Night Lords are not all about scaring people to death with grisly acts, so they may be an option).
And personally I don't think a Marine could very well hide in plain sight in the middle of a normal human population. Their stature and built, the plugs for their power armour, the black carapace would be sure clues anywhere else than in the mutant slums (where he could hide under a wide cloak and pretend to be a massive mutant) or in the Underhive (where people basically don't care). But then if you're going for either a WB or an AL that's a good place to build up cults, among the downtrodden.

alterion
17-07-2005, 14:44
lex managed to survive for a short peio dopf time without his armour on in a human albeit disrupted society in the inquisition war.. i think he masqueraded as a slave/ servant? sso it is possible but they would have to play the dumb mutant

Lord-Warlock
17-07-2005, 16:11
And that's with the armour. Stash it somewhere, don loose-fitting robes, and you're just a commoner from some far-away world with weird gravity. This approach, of course, works best in hive cities or other cosmopolitan places.

Brusilov
17-07-2005, 18:05
Going without armour was a given, but the problem with that is the Marine would still stand out from the crowd and would probably be expected to be dumb muscle for someone important.
Actually that would make for a great idea and would make for an odd pair. You get the Space Marine who is obviously pulling the strings to act outwardly as dumb muscle for his accomplice, a cultist or somesuch (even better if it's someone if his own agenda the Chaos Marine was forced to tag along with for some reason).
Hmm... I might go about and use that idea myself... ;)

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-07-2005, 19:05
He could masquerade as an Inquisitor or someone within the Inquisition like an Acolyte. He just better hope he doesn't run into any real Inquisitors.

t-tauri
17-07-2005, 19:11
Being pre-Heresy, and a good proportion of them probably having come from the original indigenous population of Caliban, it's possible that not that many of them would have had the full set of implants unlike the Dark Angels that were developed on Terra in the Emperors labs.

A lot of the original Dark Angels were normal humans with added biological and cyber enhamcements as Jonsson and Luthor's original following of native Calibaners were inducted into the Dark Angels Legion. Plus ten millenia's worth of sneaking about means that many of them will be adept at passing for normal members of society. That would be true for many of the Chaos Marine Infiltrator/seduction/master planning types.

Str10_hurts
17-07-2005, 20:55
Trator legions might be an option to.

anyway Alpha legion my best bet.

Lord-Warlock
17-07-2005, 22:22
And, of course, he might also be from any of the many Rogue Chapters - not having been in the Eye for ten thousand years many of those Traitor Marines might look almost human.

x-esiv-4c
18-07-2005, 03:06
Thanks for all the help. Keep an eye out for my story coming up!