PDA

View Full Version : Empire all Calv 1000

Jackster
29-01-2007, 07:25
Just suddently have this idea of glorious calvalry charge! Dont know if it would word though.

Empire 1000

Heroes
Reiksguard Captain- Barded Warhorse, full-plate, lance, enchanted shield, Silver Horn -126
Battle Wizard- Lv. 2 power stone-120
Warrior Priest- Heavy Armour, shield, Barded warhorse, -110

Core-
5 Reiksguards -115
5 Reiksguards -115

Special-
9 Reiksguard Inner Circle Knights- full command, Banner of Daemon Slayer-323
5 Pistolier- 90

Ill probably get owned by Brets or horde of any kind.

Makarion
29-01-2007, 08:30
Actually, this army will give most Bretonnions a scare, since even they don't use all cavalry - because it's very, very boring after the first few games. It can be rather effective though, and nice for a change if you're used to a heavy infantry focus.

Personally I'd put the wizard on a horse and have him ride with a unit (or he's very soon rather dead), and to add a dispel scroll. Lore of Beasts might be nice for him.

You could consider the banner of arcane warding on your IC knights, and if you exchange the powerstone for a second dispel scroll, you probably won't need the warrior priest in that case. Saves you good points, which might go towards a 6th pistolier and a unit of 5 outriders (although you'll need to drop the Silver Horn for the points needed).

Dspankdo
29-01-2007, 09:39
Actually you should do well against horde armies, more specifically ones that do not have very much shooting. You'll smash big blocks of night goblins apart. If you take away the battle priest you could buy an extra scroll, you'll have points to buy an extra knight for each knight unit and maybe give them a banner for good measure.

strateger
29-01-2007, 13:23
Actually you should do well against horde armies, more specifically ones that do not have very much shooting. You'll smash big blocks of night goblins apart. If you take away the battle priest you could buy an extra scroll, you'll have points to buy an extra knight for each knight unit and maybe give them a banner for good measure.

are you noob? :wtf:
Dont drop the battle priest you need him for combat boost (hatred + prayers)

I'll suggest you drop the wizard, he will suck a lot in close combat(no armor), unless you give him the van horsman mirror. Replace him by an additionnal priest instead, it's very violent to play them in a all cavalry theme. If you do so you've learned some needed points you ll spend into banners and musicians for your knights!

Dspankdo
29-01-2007, 14:01
Have you ever used priests? Sure the hatred thing is nice but a banner for each unit is better, it guaranties an extra plus 1 combat res something a priest won't do. The extra scroll will make up for the lost dice and the extra knight on each unit will make up for the lost priests combat potential. The priest will probably not get his spell off(it's only PL4) and even if he does he only has 1 real option(soulfire) which is good but certainly not game winning.
2 more knights and banners is a much safer option.

And please refrain from calling people noobs.

Makarion
29-01-2007, 16:44
Pretty much the only thing I agree on with Straeger is the use of musicians for knights. They are more useful than banners even, since banners have the drawback of giving away 100 VP if you are overran. Not too likely with cavalry troops, but...

Musicians, on the other hand, reinforce the solid strategy of fleeing when being charged, then countercharging with a second cavalry unit. Your fleeing unit can then flank-charge after the rally (not too hard at effective LD9).

Mind, banners are good, but keep the drawback in mind. On hard-hitting troops I would generally add them, especially given that your knights have a good armour save, and are mobile enough to support one another. As long as they don't stay stuck in combat, the banners are unlikely to get lost.

And yes, the Warrior priest, although good (I use them occasionally, but certainly not exclusively), is no excuse for a proper spellcaster. With a wizard to fluish out dispel dice he's not going to cast prayers with much success. At your point totals, people will have 2 DD even without a wizard/shaman/spellsinger, and that's not even counting dispel scrolls. The WP's power 4 prayers aren't going to cut it on their own.

As to what prayers are useful, I rather like the one that makes a unit unbreakable. Often, I put that in place (it's remain in play) early on on my tarpit unit (swordsmen, generally), then start to set up flanks.

Von Wibble
29-01-2007, 18:43
I would have 2 priests and no wizard. Not for prayers (you have about a 50% chance of getting 1 each turn) but for the hatred - which imo is far more useful as it makes the cavalry charge reliable - it works out better than a banner (you get +1 kill from the knights alone and this is thus +1 cr and a dead model - and hatred can't be captured).

On prayers, reroll to hits and to wounds for the captain is useful. Last game I had a captain under this influence go from getting 0 hits to 3 hits then 1 wound to 3 wounds (and then 3 failed saves and 3 dead chaos knights). Soulfire isn't the only plan. The unbreakable one is near useless because the enemy just dispels it in his own magic phase before resolving the killer charge he makes in his own turn....

Silver Horn is only of use if a unit has fled, not been pursued and murdered, and then failed a rally check (and most of yours are Ld9 if you get musicians). Drop it for the Sigil of Sigmar.

I think the armies that would give this one trouble are MSU armies.

Jackster
30-01-2007, 01:29
well cant decide to take all priest or mage, but made some changes.

Heroes
Reiksguard Captain- Barded Warhorse, full-plate, lance, shield, Shroud of Magnus -128
Battle Wizard- Lv. 2 power stone-120
Warrior Priest- Heavy Armour, shield, Barded warhorse, -110

Core-
5 Reiksguards musician-123

Special-
9 Reiksguard Inner Circle Knights- full command, WarBanner-298
5 Pistolier, musician- 97

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 02:18
i think against undead you woud have a hard time.

Jackster
30-01-2007, 06:12
dWell, getting one more unit of Pistoliers seem to be nice against Undeath, i can slow down their movement and allow my knights to get a flank charge.
Plus they shoot quite well.

Heroes
Reiksguard Captain- Barded Warhorse, full-plate, lance, shield, Shroud of Magnus -128
Battle Wizard- Lv. 2 Dispel scroll, Warhorse-135

Core-

Special-
9 Reiksguard Inner Circle Knights- full command, WarBanner-298
5 Pistoliers, musician- 97
5 Pistoliers, musician- 97

Since bear's anger doesnt work on mounted model, i ll probably use Lore of Fire or Lore of Light.

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 09:13
Give that battle wizard the Speculum, then charge a Bloodthirster.
i cant think of a cooler magic item.

Makarion
30-01-2007, 19:49
Bloodthirster declines the challenge and the front line of his unit kills the wizard. Was that what you meant? Sorry, but that's a trick anyone sees coming from miles away. The speculum is good defensively, but when *you* offer the duel, people start to suspect something...

MattKienbaum
30-01-2007, 20:22
I'm not sure how this would work but it might be fun to try in a themed army like this. Make one of your pistolier units outriders. (lots of bullets.) Have them play with the pistolers something like this. Pistoliers move up. Outriders and pistoliers fire. simple enough. Pistoliers will get charged and flee as responce. Outriders and pistoliers get to shoot again. Might get this to last 3 rounds and slow a few troopers down so the knights won't have to chew so fast. Just an idea I had for your flank while looking at your army.

Jhayden
30-01-2007, 20:41
All cavalry armies get very very boring very very quickly. Basically you have 2 options. Move or Charge. That's it.

You have terrible combat res and you rely completely on charges. It seems very strong on paper, but in the end they're actually either hit or miss.

Jackster
31-01-2007, 02:48
Bloodthirster declines the challenge and the front line of his unit kills the wizard. Was that what you meant? Sorry, but that's a trick anyone sees coming from miles away. The speculum is good defensively, but when *you* offer the duel, people start to suspect something...

Not sure if a Khornate unit can refuse a challenge, the image of a Bloodthirster refuse to kill a wizard (Khorne hates magic) is rediculous.
but cant quite find the points, the outrider idea seem to be cool, but pistolier fires one less shot than outrider and have the same range (if you include their movement.)

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 03:04

i wouldnt charge a bloodthrister while hes in a unit. come now

ffarsight
31-01-2007, 09:53
you canīt put a flying monster in a unit, i think... check the rules.[dice0][dice1]