PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide what race to go next!

Jack of Blades
29-01-2007, 13:32
First time poster here, but ive heard alot of good rumors :D.

Ill convert most things, so looks arent really an issue... as long as theres potential.

Note that I only own the army books for HoC, BoC, OK, VC and Lizardmen as well as Dark Elves.

I currently collect Ogres, so theyre not an option. The ones I quite clearly wont collect, are in order (ill edit this list based on your input!):

- High Elves
- Empire

Armies im not really sure if id like to collect, but probably could, in order:

- Bretonnia
- Wood Elves
- Dark Elves
- Tomb Kings

Armies id probably like to collect

- Chaos (not sure... but maybe)
- Vampire Counts
- Lizardmen
- Skaven
- Orcs & Goblins

And now to the pros id like (but nothing is a requirement):

- Powerful characters. Preferably focusing on being surviveable like Regeneration and loooots of wounds, but offense is ok too... as long as they dont die too easily. Points cost isnt an issue :). They dont necessarily have to be named Cheese C. Cheddar and have :cheese: as a face though.

- Throwaway troops.

- Some kind of focus point, for example the Screaming Bell.

- Some random effects that are either completely devastating or backfire, or dont do much.

- Some kind of ''elite guard'' for my powerful character. I like steamroller-type units.

- Something ill add if I come up with it

Thanks for all input :)
Its really needed!

Murderous Monkey
29-01-2007, 13:43
- Powerful characters. Preferably focusing on being surviveable like Regeneration and loooots of wounds, but offense is ok too... as long as they dont die too easily. Points cost isnt an issue :).

- Throwaway troops.

- Some random effects that are either completely devastating or backfire, or dont do much.

- Some kind of ''elite guard'' for my powerful character. I like steamroller-type units.

- Something ill add if I come up with it

Thanks for all input :)
Its really needed!

Orcs and Goblins. Powerful characters (Black Orc Warboss/Grimgor) and lots of random effects. You can't get much better in throwaway units than goblins and Skaven - it comes down to whether you prefer fanatics or warpfire throwers! Elite Guard are met by a unit of black orcs (see rumour roundup for new plastic sprues due this summer).

That just leaves a focus point and you could make several. A nasty unit of trolls or a giant could easily work, as could a character like Gorbad Ironclaw (an amazing model in my opinion) due out this summer or maybe Azhag (who people say looks even better).

I love the random element of both orcs and skaven but with the criteria you've listed, I'd probably choose Orcs. Just my opinion... but make sure you post pictures of your conversions whatever you choose! I'm always lurking in the painting forum looking for ideas.

Maldred2
29-01-2007, 14:15
And now to the pros id like (but nothing is a requirement):

- Powerful characters. Preferably focusing on being surviveable like Regeneration and loooots of wounds, but offense is ok too... as long as they dont die too easily. Points cost isnt an issue . They dont necessarily have to be named Cheese C. Cheddar and have as a face though.

- Throwaway troops.

powerfull characters: ditch the skaven. Even the warlord has mediocre stats at best.

I'd say Orcs too. they have the throwaway troops, and can field a dead 'ard unit to accompany a warboss. they are random too. if you convert, you can probably make a focal point yourself. A heavily converted giant or doom diver for instance, or a nice chariot.

I was thinking about lizardmen for a second. They have exellent characters, and one of the most stilish "elite guards" in the game: temple guard. They also have throwaway troops, but they are definately not random. Lizardmen are as reliable as they come, so orcs is prolly more fun for you.

DeathlessDraich
29-01-2007, 14:30
Welcome Jack of Blades.

Reading through your list, my first thought is Lizardmen
- super powerful characters with 2 possible options. Oldblood - 18" charge and great in combat with super fast heroes to match and great in combat too or THE SLANN option!
- Skinks - throwaway
- Steam roller type unit - Kroxis the bane of chariots 3S7 attacks with better saves than Ogres!
- Elite Guard Temple Guard
- Centrepiece - The Fat Frog - Slann
- Random effects - Salamanders either spout flames or eat their Skink handlers

Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings also fulfill most of your requirements above.

VC and Lizardmen are tournament winners as well.

Jack of Blades
29-01-2007, 14:54
powerfull characters: ditch the skaven. Even the warlord has mediocre stats at best.

I'd say Orcs too. they have the throwaway troops, and can field a dead 'ard unit to accompany a warboss. they are random too. if you convert, you can probably make a focal point yourself. A heavily converted giant or doom diver for instance, or a nice chariot.

I was thinking about lizardmen for a second. They have exellent characters, and one of the most stilish "elite guards" in the game: temple guard. They also have throwaway troops, but they are definately not random. Lizardmen are as reliable as they come, so orcs is prolly more fun for you.

Well, I really love Slann... alot. I also love Salamanders since I love them naturally and I love breath attacks :wtf:.

So the army composition would be something like

Slann

2 Skink Priests

TG
Skinks
Skinks
Jungle Swarms (cause I love em)
Saurus
Saurus

and if I get anything left from that,

Chameleon Skinks
Kroxigor

Salamanders/DoW

Briohmar
29-01-2007, 15:03
Sorry if a bit off topic here, but I find this amusing, if you had asked this question just three months ago, chaos would have been included in this list, as it meets all of the requirements listed (yes 30 point units of hounds do constitute throw away units) The only thing not entirely covered by chaos is the possibility of a backlash except for a couple of magic items and spell miscasts.
Sorry, was actually on topic there for a minute, what I find amusing is the fact that Orcs and goblins are listed in this thread at all. Before the new army book (which many claimed so nerfed (whatever that means) the army) made the orcs army a viable force, most people would only play them for the sheer fun of all the ways they could self destruct. Now, people actually seem to treat them as a serious army choice.

feintstar
30-01-2007, 02:27
Chaos does cover all the requirements, simply because it is SO variable.

Looking for a tough Lord with Steamroller? Chaos Chosen with Chaos Lord. Like Slaan? Tzeentch for uberness, add the staff of change. Centrecentrepeice, no points are too many? Chaos Dragon. Throwawy units? Hounds, or even beastherds. Random effects? Chaos Spawn, and the Tz Magic phase is as random as they come.

D6 S D6 hits at 30 inches? 2D6 SD6+1 hits? Whole unit takes S2 hits, casualties become horrors? Enemy character goes Ld test or Death no saves?

Add in magic items that have you attacking your own troops, turning your general into a spawn if he runs away... Cool stuff, if you like being evil and ruthless.

Oh, and lastly, for randomness, any deamonic unit. The potential to be utterly devestating, or to fail a Ld 8 instability test and have the whole unit/character vanish from the feild.