PDA

View Full Version : New army~~

Valkyrie
29-01-2007, 20:08
hello...
finally my exams have finished... (for now...)
so I am looking for starting a new army soon. for fantasy I have looked at many different armies. I looked at the followings

-Empire
-O&G
-Ogre Kingdom
-Hords of Chaos
-Beasts of chaos
-Lizard man.

I know these are extremely different armies. but I usually suffer from getting bored of an army easily. and if you want to know basic style I like to play with is.... hmm... don't know really.... haven't tried that much. I like magic, shooting and combat... (pretty much everything) but I want an army which I will not get bored from painting or playing....

many thanks.

sigur
29-01-2007, 22:35
I guess an army that you can play very diversely or get a strong theme into would be good for you. So I would suggest either Empire or O&G; both lists have a very characterful bit of everything.

Caern
29-01-2007, 22:53
Roll a d6 and stick with the result.

1 - Empire
2 - Orcs & Goblins
3 - Ogre Kingdoms
4 - Hordes of Chaos
5 - Beasts of Chaos
6 - Lizardmen

It'll be way more fun than doing all that debating, and thinking, and second-guessing :)

Paulus
29-01-2007, 23:04
hello...
finally my exams have finished... (for now...)
so I am looking for starting a new army soon. for fantasy I have looked at many different armies. I looked at the followings

-Empire
-O&G
-Ogre Kingdom
-Hords of Chaos
-Beasts of chaos
-Lizard man.

I know these are extremely different armies. but I usually suffer from getting bored of an army easily. and if you want to know basic style I like to play with is.... hmm... don't know really.... haven't tried that much. I like magic, shooting and combat... (pretty much everything) but I want an army which I will not get bored from painting or playing....

many thanks.

Empire, O&G, Ogre Kingdom & Lizardmen have all 3 (shooting, magic & combat).

When you say you become bored easily do you mean of painting, repetative play styles or both?

I would also advise that you pick from the above the ones who's mini's you like most.

jahorin
30-01-2007, 00:51
Roll a d6 and stick with the result.

1 - Empire
2 - Orcs & Goblins
3 - Ogre Kingdoms
4 - Hordes of Chaos
5 - Beasts of Chaos
6 - Lizardmen

It'll be way more fun than doing all that debating, and thinking, and second-guessing :)

[dice0]

destiny as chosen chaos!

there you go!

Drogmir
30-01-2007, 01:22
Well I says Empire. YOu can always change up the way they play.

Don't like gunline? Go all state troops.

Bored of hordes? Go all Elite Knights and Greatswords.

Empire is known for felixbility.

and besides that too many Chaos players as it is.

Reflex
30-01-2007, 02:56
The die has been cast.. the boy is a chosen of the chaos gods...

Drogmir
30-01-2007, 04:47
But he didn't even roll the dice! :(

TheWarSmith
30-01-2007, 04:56
The Gods rolled it for him, which is the proper course of fate.

He is cast to be a man of chaos. Whether he begins his journey as a man of the Empire or not, his fate is marked, and he marches knowingly or unknowingly towards the Dark God's goal.

Valkyrie
30-01-2007, 12:33
[dice0]

destiny as chosen chaos!

there you go!

actually... am I?

out of 10 rolls 7 4s.... wt? am I.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

TheWarSmith
30-01-2007, 12:47
That's a clear sign.

Commander Zhypher
30-01-2007, 12:50
Looks like you will be heading down the path of chaos then,

if you dont wanna do that, go The Empire if you want to have choices, im still wondering if i want a Mage army, a Artillery train or a army of priests :p
in the end i will have all of em :angel:

and if you get bored with paint scheme, just paint a regiment in a different state colour and make a mixed state army :cool:

or you could!

Throw the Dice!
[dice0]

Paulus
30-01-2007, 17:56
actually... am I?

out of 10 rolls 7 4s.... wt? am I.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You said you want a bit of shooting, you get next to none with Chaos. :p

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
30-01-2007, 18:00
If you dont want to get bored of painting, then choose a high points army. Unfortunately there are no elves on your list. Are you mad?!?!?!

Valkyrie
30-01-2007, 18:22
If you dont want to get bored of painting, then choose a high points army. Unfortunately there are no elves on your list. Are you mad?!?!?!

I hate all sorts of elves!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
30-01-2007, 18:29
I hate all sorts of elves!

Then you are mad too.
Dark elves are great and evil and skillful.
HE are the same but they are nicer.
And wood elves live in forests! Anything to do with forests, bows and ranger type people and I'm drulling all over the floor!

Crazy Harborc
30-01-2007, 21:44
Hate all Elves??? Play the green guys!! Gobbos and da boys, Night Goblins, Spider riders, bat winged-loony flyers, frenzied savage orc boar boys, Black Orcs (they carry around an armory now).

THOSE are a few of the good parts/points of the greenskins. As said earlier...pick the army that has the most minies you like.

zak
30-01-2007, 21:53
Empire or Orc and Gobbo's will give you the flexibility you want and are great armies. Chaos is a bit limited in that it only uses a couple of the phases (especially Khorne).

Hobgoblyn
30-01-2007, 22:20
Orcs and Empire just got new updates recently, so either would be good.

However, Orcs don't get much in the way of magic or shooting (suck at both). Chaos, Beastmen and Ogres (to my knowledge) have absolutely no shooting at all, Beastmen and Ogres kind of don't do magic either...

Lizardmen and Empire are both good all-around armies. Lizardmen lend themselves to being more colorful, but if you think playing humans is too boring you can always do what I am doing and buy up a lot of Goblin heads and create a 'Hobgoblin' Empire army.

Toppan
31-01-2007, 01:53
ogres do have shooting. leadbelchers, braces of handguns, the gnoblar scraplauncher...the hunter harpoon and to a lesser extent gnoblar sharp stuff. while they arent the best shooters in the game, they still have some pretty interesting things.

read my sig, it might help.

honestly i say pick what models you like the most. do you want to convert at all? do you have a sort of theme for your army, or maybe a storyline? have you researched anything?

oh...and

[dice0]

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
31-01-2007, 17:04
Can I please just ask, why would you hate all elves?
I know it's off topic but I really want to know, you're spoilt for choice!

Paulus
31-01-2007, 17:39

The man doesn't want Elves!!! ;)

Hobgoblyn
31-01-2007, 19:13

Now don't start that again...
Isn't enough that someone just dislikes elves?
Some people dislike Orcs & Goblins and would never play them no matter how positive of a spin is put on them (look at the faction imbalance in WoW for a good example), some people hate the idea of rat-people and goat-people in a serious game (this is why there have never been any official 40K Skaven/Hrud models), some people dislike Dwarves for merely aestic reasons...

So why is it unacceptible to you that someone would dislike elves whether it be for background, aestics, philosophically (flawless, elite race?) or because of the kind of fanatically obsessive treatment they recieve from so many game players and designers and the proper stigma this attaches to them?

It should be enough that someone does not like them.

Mephistofeles
31-01-2007, 19:23
some people hate the idea of rat-people and goat-people in a serious game (this is why there have never been any official 40K Skaven/Hrud models), some people dislike Dwarves for merely aestic reasons...

You aren't implying that 40k is a more serious game than fantasy now are you? By saying that the dislike for ratpeople in serious games have kept them out of 40k but not fantasy, you pretty much say that.

You aren't saying that, right? ;)

By the way, I think Empire is the choice for mr Valkyrie, since they can easily get a lot of both combat, magic and shooting and still be good.

Move Fast Hit Low
31-01-2007, 23:13
the chaos gods have spoken!!!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-02-2007, 06:41
Ok I'll be quiet
It just amazes me that's all.

Commisar BoB
01-02-2007, 07:35
I would go with the lizards if I were you. Great magic, combat killiness, cool models, aztec theme and best of all...DINOSAURS. Which army could compare to that?

Valkyrie
01-02-2007, 17:47

hmm should I say... elves=too... kind of hard to explain... personally they look elegant? or eligant... (can't spell) more I look at them, further I go away from them...

well its just one of my dislikes... like I hate Languages....

anyway elves, they don't look very attractive too me. all the nobleness.... and so on...

but I don't mind playing against them. They have a strong charectoristics.

On the other hand. these are 2 basic types of elven troops.
-Bowmen/Crossbowmen
-Spearmen
-Something that rides horse

so... I don't know why but I find the race pretty much as master of none, jack of all trades....

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 19:55
Undead Undead Undead

Valkyrie
01-02-2007, 21:16
Undead Undead Undead

... may be when they are re released....

Paulus
01-02-2007, 21:20
Have you narrowed your choices any yet Valkyrie?

Valkyrie
02-02-2007, 16:01
Have you narrowed your choices any yet Valkyrie?

umm... not just yet... May be I'll hold it for later.... = = suddenly have more work to do....T.T

n00bLord
03-02-2007, 02:45
One Word. Skaven. It may not be on yer list, but Skaven will make you a happy camper no matter how many times they explode on the table or electrocute themselves in the pointlessness of their existence. They have great missle weaponry, good magic, and... Plague Monks/Bearers/Priests for CC chops.

Skaven are you allies.

Drogmir
03-02-2007, 03:36
Yes until the Empire decides to bring 3 mortars and crush your skaven with their incredible cowardness

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
03-02-2007, 11:48
One Word. Skaven. It may not be on yer list, but Skaven will make you a happy camper no matter how many times they explode on the table or electrocute themselves in the pointlessness of their existence. They have great missle weaponry, good magic, and... Plague Monks/Bearers/Priests for CC chops.

Skaven are you allies.

okay so you have an army of skaven, hmmm, tactics, tactics. OOO I know let's send them all in! Yay I'm a great tactician.
Elves on the other hand, make you think.

Franco
13-02-2007, 21:45
okay so you have an army of skaven, hmmm, tactics, tactics. OOO I know let's send them all in! Yay I'm a great tactician.
Elves on the other hand, make you think.

Elves are crap!!! Orcs and goblins are great!!! End of

gxatzi
14-02-2007, 11:02
i thing lizardman is a good choice for all this you want but i suggets skaven is better : horde for hth warp-lightning for magic and ratling guns,jezzails,cannons for shooting!!!
you will get bored from painting but not from playing

kyussinchains
14-02-2007, 11:06
do what I do, get them all!!

I've got chaos (beasts, daemons and mortals), dark elves, ogres and I've just ordered my first skaven!

I'm not interested in any of the other armies however, except maybe wood elves...

I say chaos, you're basically picking 3 armies which all play differently that way, and you can mix and match to your heart's desire!

yeancientone
14-02-2007, 11:09
In my experience, it's best just to pick the ones that have the best models (in your own opinion) and steer clear of anything that's going to be rereleased in the next two years.