PDA

View Full Version : Slow games fast games

Dooppie
17-07-2005, 08:43
Here are some questions about game speed.
1. Do you play faster when you have more experiance :rolleyes:
2. what is your shortest game ever?
3.what is your longest game ever?

That's all I wanna know :D (I know... my english is bad)

Let me start:
1.I play faster when I play more...but still think alot during a game.
2. 1 hour playing with a 2000 point game. I played agains O & G army and I failed my terror test with my marauders, about 50% of my army flee of the gaming board.
3.10 hours gaming. 5000 points agains 5000 points :)

Geetarman
17-07-2005, 09:56
1. In general yes if only because you dont need to look up tables or things such as the series in the movement phase, model stats etc. I haveplayed warhammer for over 10 years so the tables and stats are almost engraved on my brain :D

2. 2 turns (bout half an hour not including setup etc), horrible luck forced most of my skaven off the board turn 1, turn 2 saw a dragon do enough to call it an end :D

3. 2 days (something about 2's) played a 4 man a side game ove 2 days at a friends workplace over a weekend.

Gman

Sir_Glonojad
17-07-2005, 11:02
3. 3x3000 vs 3x3000 (with 1 Mage Lord per army restriction). 13 or 14 hours...

Frecus
17-07-2005, 11:03
1. Do you play faster when you have more experiance

Hmm... Interesting questions... My answers:

1. Certainly! I play more than most of my opponents, and knowing all need-to-rolls within the second speeds up the game a whole lot, while my opponents often need to look it up, or think about it.
2. what is your shortest game ever? Probably in a tourny, slaughthered 2K of TK in 5 turns, in about 75-90 minutes.
3.what is your longest game ever? Lots of hours in 9 or 10 turns against my dad. He had to retrieve an item in my DZ, took a long time before his knights got past my eagles & dryads.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-07-2005, 12:18
Here are some questions about game speed.
1. Do you play faster when you have more experiance http://warseer.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Yeah, a lot faster. Or at least most do. The fewer things you need to think about and remember, and the more things thats just 'instinctive' the faster.

Hmm, I had a game at Heat 2 a few years back that was over in about 45 minutes(and yes, we actually played 6 turns too!). And that was without any real disasters eliminating 50% of the army in one go.
Small, super fast armies = quick game!

Had other games at around the hour mark too.

Can't remember, have had some very long games in the past. Big multiplayer games just last forever http://warseer.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

m1s1n
17-07-2005, 17:04
1. Do you play faster when you have more experiance
Definitely. More experienced players are more organized and have everything in order. Additionally, it requires less rule checking and fact-finding. Finally, there is less debate over rules because players are more familiar with the little nuances.

Maybe an hour. My roomie and I play every week--and sometimes things just errupt.

A 5 person game (2v2v1) 1,000pts each. The game lasted from 3pm to midnight.

Snoozer
17-07-2005, 17:32
1. Yes, I played today a game against my friend who hasn't played a game in months (he has been busy with WoW) and it took him forever to get through his turn, hade to check every stat even if I told him what they were, took like 5 minutes to decide what spell to use, he did about 3 spells per turn (thats 15 minutes) everything just took so long, he did win the game (by minor victory), maybe because I didn't give a s*it what happened after the first 2 hours... for me it dosen't take that long because I know most of the stats and rules (even those of the enemy)

2.My shortest game... I don't know how long it was but it lasted 3 turns, it was against empire and on turn 3 I charged everyting I hade, after that he had nothing left (most of his warmachines hade missfired already). He actully hade 2 units left, but we ended it there because there was no way he could have done anything to my almost full units (he hade no time to kill any of my units or any models in them)

3. I really haven't played that big games...

:D

night2501
17-07-2005, 17:33
1-most of the tyme yes, but it depends more on the army and the players, tought an experience player have the edge as no cheking in the book is required most of the time, but 2 experienced players of good level might take a lot mor eof time than 2 novices, for the fact that a lot more thinking involved, more fine tactics, etc...

2-something betwen half an hour and 45 minutes? (not including deplyment and terrain), slanesh demonic legion against khemry, charged by turn 2, by turn 4 little of the army was left, the oponent didnīt have too much experience and left one flank unprotected, onother similar game against DE, similar results.

3-longest game? 3 hours 2K against skaven, resulted in a tie, I was short in like 100 points for marginal victory, the skaven player and I have been plaing for 7 years more or less.

these are form the games this year, when was starting they caled mi "el loco" because I played a couple of game like someone have casted haste on me, all it take sis take the oponent turn to think instead of your own so when your turn comes you just act, old WE versus HE the game was no longer than half hour with masacre result for the WE

Sgt John Keel
17-07-2005, 18:07
1. Depends. Naturally you play faster when you know the rules by heart, but I'm not sure you make tactical desicions and guesses faster when you're more experienced.

2. Dunno. I've lost pretty fast sometimes though.

3. Maybe 15+ hours. 8000 points game. Including setup of course.

/Adrian

starlight
17-07-2005, 18:36
Depends on the opponent and time limits. I'm a social gamer, so sometimes we can spend time discussing each others options. Yes, I do give my opponent advice on how to beat me in friendly games, especially if they are newer than me.

Shortest: 45mins
Longest: 16+ hours over two days

Artemis_Quinn
17-07-2005, 18:48
1) I have noticed that when a player gains experience with a game that the game tends to go a lot faster. Like when I used to play fantasy every week with other equally experienced players I could expect a 2500 point game to be done in about 3 hours. Now that I'm playing 40K more regularly and trying to get accustomed to those rules games generally take 4 to 5 hours for a 1500 point game. (I'm not the only one trying to get used to the rules but a lot of the other people I play against don't retain the rules as well as I do, and right now vehicles are really all that I'm not sure with (And combats feel funny since I'm used to fantasy)).

2) The fastest game that I've ever played only took one turn. I was playing lizardmen vs. orcs and the guy didn't want to play anymore after I cast a conflaguration of Doom and more or less wiped out Grimgore's unit. He was really upset because the Slann hammered the unit for a ton of hits with one spell. Not to mention that I had at least 60 skinks waiting to unlesh some poisoned arrows and 2 salamanders waiting to spit. (I'll admit, I was a bit of a power gamer back in the day, often times running 120 skinks just because I've found that they tend to work)

3) The longest game that I've ever played probably would have been the 4-player match me and a couple of the mutants back at the shop tried to play. LatD and Necrons allied in a Breakout mission againts 2 Eldar forces (one altoic, one Beil-Tan) Each side had 3000 points, and the Necrons and LatD were stuck in the middle. (We actually had to extend the deployment zone in the center since otherwise the whole army would not have fit). We only got to NEAR the end of turn two and it took 4 hours (given i'm FAIRLY unfamiliar with 40K rules and all three of the other guys were in the same boat, but I think I'm a wee bit better off then they are).

Lady's Champion
17-07-2005, 18:52
2. I did 6 turns in 50 mins and they WERE BOTH ORC ARMIES!!!!!!!!! AND that INCLUDES deployment!!!!

Crazy Harborc
17-07-2005, 20:44
Games of 2000pts (or more)?? An hour without a magic phase. Two hours with a magic phase being needed.

The shortest game I can recall playing was several weeks ago at the local GW store, week one of the latest campaign. It lasted 40 minutes from placing the first minies on the table. Magic phases won the game for my opponent. His VC army had two heros and 6 power dice plus 5 dispel dice as well. No more magic gaming instead of wargaming.