PDA

View Full Version : New Player Chaos list (2250)

Herod
30-01-2007, 04:56
Hi all,

I am new to Warhammer altogether. I am trying to build a list ahead of time, to help minimize the number of models I might buy but end up not using. Having never played before, I am fairly certain the list needs help, so I look forward to advice, and knowing if it is even legal. (!)

General - Exalted Demon, Mark of Nurgle, Soul hunger, Spell Breaker
Hero - Exalted Demon, Mark of Nurgle
10 - Chaos Furies
3 - Nurgling Swarm
19 - Plague Bearers
5 - Chosen Knights (Musician)
5 Minotaurs - Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapon, Light Armor

The list comes in at 2249, and I already have some Minotaurs, Knights and Plague Bearers.

I've got a feeling the unit count is way too low, and the magic defense is zilch - but having never played I'd like to hear from someone with experience.

Thanks in advance for any help,

H

Makarion
30-01-2007, 07:13
Your guess as to the list's weaknesses is about right, but it's fairly easy to solve, I think.

You could, for instance, exchange the swarms for 2 units of 5-6 hounds. They are very cheap in points and are quite good at shileding your units or running at archers. Of course they'll die, but they are close to free by Chaos standards, and it buys your foot sloggers the time they need to cross the battlefield.

I would further suggest exchanging one unit of minotaurs for a chaos sorceror, or whatever the name is of your hero level spellcaster. At 2,000+ points and with only 1 caster, you might as well keep him level 1 and give him 2 dispel scrolls, since your opponent will in all likelyhood be able to dispel anything a lone caster can conjure up.

With these two exchanges you might have some spare points, and I would suggest considering a unit of marauder horsemen, or a second unit of plaguebearers if that's allowed.
The horsemen are a great flanking unit, quite able to assist your knights and plague bearers, depending on where it's needed most.
The plague bearers are rarely going to actually win a fight on their own, but are enormously durable. I'm playing Empire and have gotten to fight these guys several times. Even with a warrior priest in the unit, my swordsmen are often tarpitted for a while if the plaguebearers are on a roll, and if you can get an extra unit into the fight, you should be able to prevail over many troop types with relative ease. They suffer when faced with long range firepower, but that's what your hounds are for.

I'm not a Chaos player, but I hope my notes helped a little.

PS. 10 furies is a bit much, a unit of about 7 is optimal. If you really like them, you can consider using two units of furies and less hounds / marauders.

dominic_carrillo
30-01-2007, 07:57
so many minotaurs...
i love plague bearers. they are my favorite demon, and more is always better in my opinion.

Sasha
30-01-2007, 09:10
if you want some extra points you could drop the exalted daemon for an exalted champion to ride with the knights.

Herod
30-01-2007, 19:16
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments - I did a bit of re-working to address the unit count and lack of magic defense. Any further advice and comments are welcome.

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Cloud of Flies, Spell Breaker
Chaos Sorcerer (lv 1) - 2x dispel scrolls
Chaos Sorcerer (lv 1) - 2x dispel scrolls
2x Nurglings
17 Plague Bearers
17 Plague Bearers
8 Chaos Furies
5 Chosen Chaos Knights (Musician)
6 Chaos Hounds

What is the common thought on Chaos Spawn (either plain or Mark of Nurgle?) I did have it with 2 of them, but with an Exalted Demon, and Aspiring Champ for the Knights.

Thanks again for any help!

H

feintstar
31-01-2007, 01:54
Now you've gone overboard with magic Defence. :)

I'd drop one of the Chaos Sorcerors, freeing up a fair few points, with which you desperately need a Banner Bearer of some description, maybe with that Death's Head item, just cos you can. Remember that Deamonic units, if they fail an unmodified Ld test on Ld8, the whole unit vanishes.

Alternatively, you could find the points to pump your DP to a level 2 caster, along with the other two heroes, giving you a moderate 8 PD, and hope that your furies can cut down any bad guys' spellcasters, turning the magic phase in your favour.

What does MoN do to Minataurs? Don't they cause fear already? Does that mean they get T5(!)?

Why 17 PBs? 18 gives you 6x3... or are you skimping for that 3rd rank?

And for the record, Spawn rock out. Unbreakable units can hold a flanking force by themselves.

Herod
31-01-2007, 02:11
What does MoN do to Minataurs? Don't they cause fear already? Does that mean they get T5(!)?

Why 17 PBs? 18 gives you 6x3... or are you skimping for that 3rd rank?

Hi - and thanks for the feedback.

As for the Minotaurs, the Mark of Nurgle gives them a Scaly Skin save of 5. (4 with armor..)

I went with 17 PB's because I figured I would go 5 across for 3 ranks, with some extra's in case I lose units to combat. (to keep the 3 ranks..) Having not played before, that may be a total waste.. is it? :)

I am going to rework it with the spawns, and I'll post again.

Thanks for your help.

H

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 02:16
i would do one level 2 wizard with two scrolls
and keep the exalted demon and make him level 2, with the stream of corruption power