PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for Combat Patrol Campaign

Smokedog
30-01-2007, 11:45
I am planning to do a combat control campaign, Eldar Vs. Necrons. I am hoping to use the experience rules so that at the end the squads gain battle honours.

The trouble is This is fine for eldar, but the necrons don't gain any, ever! so I need a way to include bonuses for the necrons. I have thought about using the points gained (10%) so the necrons can add additional memebers to the army, but this mechanic is a bit clunky.

Have any of you done a campaign with necrons, how can I get around this problem?:chrome:

Angel of the Black Parade
30-01-2007, 17:37
that for me would be the best way to go, unless instead of more points, the necron player has the choice of every 2 or 3 games, adding an uber char (i.e lord) at no extra cost.

Smokedog
30-01-2007, 18:33
Been also thinking about the rules about no model with more than 2 wounds...
Well... that leaves Eldar with a big 0 choice for HQ.

I mentioned to my oponent, would it be ok the have a warlock leading them, this resulted in a NO. I can't see much wrong with it, but anyway got me thinking about some 2 wound characters I could make up.

The 2 I have come up with are: a Warlock Master and a Ranger Captain/Noble

Warlock Master: - 35pts
WS 4 BS 4 S 3 T 3 W 2 I 5 A 2 LD 9 SV 4++

Equipment:
Comes equipped as standard Warlock

Special rules:
A Warlock Master can use two warlock powers at the same time.

Ranger Captain/Noble 35pts
WS 4 BS 4 S 3 T 3 W 2 I 5 A 2 LD 9 SV 4+

Equipment
Comes equipped as standard Rangers, except his rifle counts as AP1 on a 4+ to hit.

Special Rules:
Ranger captains have seen many battles and so can be equiped with many strange items.
Ranger Captain can take a powersword for +5pts or a chainsword for +5pts. The chainsword confers to +1 strength.

What do you think?

==Me==
30-01-2007, 21:57
HQ aren't required in Combat Patrol, so it's no big deal really. Just have the Exarch of a Dire Avengers squad "lead" the army fluffwise.

As for the experience system, typically when you suffer casualties you roll for each model lost and on a certain roll they don't come back. Or, you have to retire the unit for a game as it recovers. So while everyone else gains experience and loses models, the Necrons remain constant, which could lead to some very interesting late campaign action.

UnRiggable
30-01-2007, 21:59
Yeah I think that instead of having HQs, there should be designated leaders which gets a second wound at twice it's cost.

The_Flip
30-01-2007, 23:24
Been also thinking about the rules about no model with more than 2 wounds...
Well... that leaves Eldar with a big 0 choice for HQ.
HQ's aren't needed for Combat Patrol. Also, the it's not like the Necrons have an HQ for that scenario either...

Smokedog
31-01-2007, 08:44
Ok well, we are going to try out first 400 CP today, if it is tooq uick we will up the points to 500pts. I doj't know, for me if you are fighting a campaign you need some sort of leader figure... we will see what happens...

heldane
31-01-2007, 09:01
Bear in mind that warlcoks cant be used in CP as they have an unvulnerable save.

Also as for the necron experience, or lack of, dont worry about it. There will be very few weapons that will dissallow your we'll be back rolls, where as most of your weapons will kill eldar no problems. Plus necrons dont gain experience which is why theres no experience rules for them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dan

Smokedog
31-01-2007, 10:10
I think you will find that invunerable saves are allowed. I have jut checked the rules.Come on 20! [dice0]