PDA

View Full Version : the begingins of my space marine army

Mr.terminatorbob
17-07-2005, 16:53
well I have started a space marine army one more tactial squad and I have a basic army go me heres my squad and color scheme

srgt.Octavain with storm bolter( I pulled of his bolt pistol arm and using the second arm from the space marine commander I glued a astorm bollter to it)
7 space marines with bolter
1 with flamer
1 with rocket and
1 commander with plasma pistol I choose the plasama so my friend coudnt use his saving throw :evilgrin: Im so cruel and armed him with a power sword.

Color scheme bolter space marines: bolter mitrhil silver and back pack eyes red eagle black the rim of the sholuder pad black and armor enchanted blue same for my flamer and rocket but white helemat with blue crest and my commander same color. I will try to upload a picture of my space marines but you will have to deal with my description for now.

nightbringer11
17-07-2005, 17:36
and the point of this is? do you want to know if its good?

Rabid Bunny 666
17-07-2005, 18:10
i think its like the tale of eight gamers, detailing how his army is going ;)

sounds good so far, but maybe another tactical squad to accompany the commander or just to fill out that other slot ;)

warlordgrubnatz
17-07-2005, 18:12
i would also recomend a second tac squad and a unit for your commander to join.

Cade
17-07-2005, 18:19
Nah.....get some Scouts to fill the other compulsary Troops slot.

Variation is a good thing!

Mr.terminatorbob
17-07-2005, 18:40
just want opinions on my army and probely going to buy some scouts

Sgt John Keel
17-07-2005, 18:48

Well, it's a good start. ;)

After getting your second Troop Choice, maybe you could get an Assault Squad as your current Tac Squad seems very shooty.

I'm still not sure if a flamer and a missile launcher is a good combo.

/Adrian

Rabid Bunny 666
17-07-2005, 18:55
agreed, maybe swap the flamer for a plasma?

Mr.terminatorbob
17-07-2005, 19:10
probely, like not giving my oppenet s saving throws.

starlight
17-07-2005, 19:30
Squad weapons should have the same intent so I have to second the "move the Flamer" suggestion. Consider putting it in your second squad with something else with a short range or anti-infantry focus.

I would suggest having an overall intent or theme for your army from the outset. This will help to save you from buying models that you later find don't work for you. You can always expand later, but efficency in early purchases can help to keep you more interested and increase your chances of wanting to finish.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Cade
17-07-2005, 23:30
Tell us what your budget is......for a starting gamer, nothing is more important than what you can afford to buy!

Mr.terminatorbob
18-07-2005, 01:43
No clue what my budget is might get a baby sitting job.I plan to make most of my frutre purshes from ebay or Game Shop.I like the scouts and perfer to keep most of my units out of enemy fire.Also the tactaial squad is from tbfm set so I have no choice.

zealousheretic
18-07-2005, 07:48
Consider a transport of some sort; that flamer would be a lot better if put in a small squad in a Razorback, for example, and the Razorback gives you a mobile heavy weapon.

You have the Codex, right? If not, you should definitely get it, and if so, have you had a chance to experiment with traits, to see which ones fit the way you like to play? The traits you settle on can have an impact on what you buy.

Karhedron
18-07-2005, 08:17
Scouts are cool but my advice is to wait until the autumn to get them. There are plastic Scouts being released as part of the Black templars revamp. They will probably be cheaper and more varied than the current metal scouts.

Sgt John Keel
18-07-2005, 11:40
Also the tactaial squad is from tbfm set so I have no choice.

Yeah but if you buy one of the new Tac Squads you'll get some special weapons from there, so just switch the squad the model belongs to.

Are you using any traits?

/Adrian

Mr.terminatorbob
18-07-2005, 13:04
Yeah but if you buy one of the new Tac Squads you'll get some special weapons from there, so just switch the squad the model belongs to.

Are you using any traits?

/Adrian
yes I have choosen the traits for my army Die Standing and never despair.

Mr.terminatorbob
20-07-2005, 15:45
I have decided to change my minor drawback to something else since seeing the usefulness of drop pods in battle you can close in on the enemy with devestaator squads

Too Many Armies
22-07-2005, 07:11
1 with rocket
Now personally, I would choose a heavy bolter for the heavy man in the squad.
I like using my 10-man tactical squads mostly for taking on other infantry and slightly heavier stuff like bikes, etc.
Now I know this actually makes them less 'tactical' and some would say 'well what if you need to hit a tank?'.
I say they shouldn't have to, that's why you take things like Devastator squads and Land Raiders.
I also have this thing that I hate having to watch 9 bolter shots get wasted just so I can take that one missle shot at a tank, only to roll a one to hit, penetrate, etc. Its just not worth it to me and for the 5 points in savings I'll take the HB.

Cade
22-07-2005, 16:40
Of course, the best thing is to split your 10 man tactical sqaud into a 5-man tactical squad with the sergeant and the special weapon and another 5-man tactical squad with the missile launcher (just model a few extra bits on one of the marines to make him into another sergeant).

That way you get the best of both worlds.....a squad that can fire krak missiles at tanks without wasting 9 bolter shots and a squad that can be equipped for short range anti-infantry combat.

And it also means that you fill the 2 Troops slots that you need to make a proper army!

zealousheretic
22-07-2005, 18:22
I have decided to change my minor drawback to something else since seeing the usefulness of drop pods in battle you can close in on the enemy with devestaator squads

I'd recommend experimenting with traits a fair amount, just to see which ones you like. Especially when you're just starting out, there's a lot about the game you can only learn by playing.

Amsfeld
23-07-2005, 20:32
If you're on a budget you could even go for the trait allowing two assault weapons per squad. It should give you flexibility to swap around squads without spending money on pewter models and gives you some good mobility if you plan to use drop pods as you transports.

Having said all that I might be talking rubbish........ I've been up for 27 hours

Mr.terminatorbob
24-07-2005, 04:19
I bought some scouts yesterday and now I can give my commander his own guard before I buy the battleforce pack. I have given this squad the flamer and 4 bolter space marines and this makes scince because the plasma pistol my commander has is 12 inches and needs to get closer to do damage and the flamer is close range to and the space marines in that squad should mostly use rapid fire.

Cade
24-07-2005, 14:02
It'll be tough to get them within flamer range, to be honest.

Next thing you should buy is a Razorback to help that squad and the commander get closer to the enemy without being blown away!

Plus it gives you your first real mobile heavy weaponary.

fgervais
25-07-2005, 19:59
A landspeeder would add some anti armor...

Mr.terminatorbob
25-07-2005, 21:59
can a razorback move 12 inches or 6 inches?

Mr.terminatorbob
25-07-2005, 22:07
I decided that right now my command squad will be 4 bolter marines and the flamer but if I buy the battle force Ill just replace the plasma gun marine with the flamer and put the plasma gun space marine in the tactial squad.

Cade
25-07-2005, 22:38
Razorbacks can move 12".
Troops may disembark to within 2" of an access point (also known as a door).
Troops may shoot, but not assault on the turn they disembark unless the vehicle did not move.
Troops may no embark and disembark on the same turn.

Mr.terminatorbob
25-07-2005, 23:58
I bought some scouts yesterday and now I can give my commander his own guard before I buy the battleforce pack. I have given this squad the flamer and 4 bolter space marines and this makes scince because the plasma pistol my commander has is 12 inches and needs to get closer to do damage and the flamer is close range to and the space marines in that squad should mostly use rapid fire.
My guard force didnt work my sister threw my commander across the room and he eploaded into 3 picecs the body flew of the legs and the back pack flew of.But lucikley I reassambeld him.

Cade
26-07-2005, 18:37
I hope you threw your sister across the room after him!:D

The upkeep and collection of 40K models is a never-ending battle against your Mother's cleaning sweeps and your siblings' tampering.

Mr.terminatorbob
27-07-2005, 01:30
no shes to heavy to pick up and throw across the room and Im only 11 so it would be kind of hard.

Mr.terminatorbob
30-07-2005, 13:53
I hope you threw your sister across the room after him!:D

The upkeep and collection of 40K models is a never-ending battle against your Mother's cleaning sweeps and your siblings' tampering. no but I wanted to :D

Mr.terminatorbob
30-07-2005, 13:55
I bought the battle force of ebay and my dad says It should come when I get back from camp and Im leaving tomorrow and Ill be back on saturday.

Cade
30-07-2005, 14:41
I just hope you got a good price!

You'll probably have a 1,500 point army now!

Mr.terminatorbob
30-07-2005, 17:23
65 dollars luckey me
I ll give you my total list when I get it.

Orcdom
31-07-2005, 18:39
if you get a razorback you wont be able to put the scouts and commander in the razorback because it is not a squad upgrade for scouts, get you 5 marines, paint them as vets with BP and CCW, a melta gun or plas rifle, vet sarge with plas pistol and ccw, and stick the commander with those and put them in the razorback.
pricy but stil a nice squad.
Steve

Mr.terminatorbob
20-08-2005, 02:39
added two scouts with snippers and a squad of termies with the yummy yummy assaulat cannon and cyclone, and flamer heh heh ehe muwahhahah fear me! Burn Heretics burn foul unclean minonis of chaos burn! Burn I say!!!!! :evilgrin: heh had one of my evik moments................ fear the mighty emporer and his army of spacemarines armed with the holy flamer be purged from this land You blasphamering hertic. :evilgrin: :skull:
evil rant over................... I think.

starlight
20-08-2005, 03:02
Remember! Don't glue the Razorback turret in place! That way you can use it as a Rhino if you want. :)

You've got a nice force shaping up there. Solid Command with transport, at least four good sized Troops and DSing Termis (remember the THomer!). Resist the urge to splurge on expensive shiny toys, Tactical Marines will win you games.

Mr.terminatorbob
20-08-2005, 03:45
dont worry its not like I am going to buy alot of termies they are to expensive and I cant save my money and haw many assaulat cannons can you have in 1 squad?

starlight
20-08-2005, 03:47
Check your Codex, mine's at home, I'm at work.