PDA

View Full Version : competitive tomb kings 2000pts

greendan
30-01-2007, 19:04
ive seen a few posts about competitive tk lists recently so i figured id post mine.
also some one suggested keeping the king cheap/ish which ive changed from my old list (he originally had a flail of skulls).

TOMB KING 216pts
+great weapon, hand weapon
collar of shapesh
vambraces of the sun

HEROES:
LICHE PRIEST 140pts - hierophant
+hieratic jar

LICHE PRIEST 140pts
+dispel scroll

LICHE PRIEST 140pts
+dispell scroll

CORE:
SKELETON ARCHERS (20) 160pts
+bows & hand weapon

SKELETON ARCHERS (20) 160pts
+bows & hand weapon

CHARIOTS (3) 120pts
CHARIOTS (3) 120pts

SPECIAL:
TOMB GUARD (20) 277pts
+tomb blades, shields & light armour
banner of the undying legion
standard bearer

USHABTI (4) 260pts

TOMB SCORPION 85pts

RARE:
SCREAMING SKULL CATAPULT 90pts
SCREAMING SKULL CATAPULT 90pts

basically deploy both units of archers 20 wide in front of the rest of the army. this gives me 80 shots per turn using magic (which will initially come from the king's casting)

also both catapults on either end of the archers will be firing twice each.
this should effectivly whittle down the opponent (and maybe the catapult can get a few units to take and fail break tests)
then reform into solid blocks when the enemy is close and have a solid line
ready for combat.

scorpion can use the icfb if necessary or run along side a unit of chariots.

the king is set up with a 4+ ward save, and denies an attack against him so although not the character killing monster he is with the flail is still very strong.

how does that look for being "competitive"??
:chrome:

dominic_carrillo
31-01-2007, 03:27
i think that it can definately give some armies a run for their money. u usually like more foot troops and maybe a giant

forgottenlor
31-01-2007, 10:27
I like it, though I would be a bit skittish playing units of only 20. I'd be afraid they'd disintegrate too fast. The army is basically defensive as well. How has it faired against other shooty armies like dwarves and high elves?

greendan
31-01-2007, 23:03
ive played dwarves with the list and won
the archers took out his warmachines effectively by killing the crew.
over two turns i had killed his warmachines, had one unit run off the board (which was bad rolling on his part) and killed a few thundrers.

the archers seem to be a key component in most of my victories.
i see alot of people running them in units of ten like other missile troops in most armies. but it doesnt really have the "oomph" needed.
where as 20 strong units can pump out alot of arrows and then be used to add numbers and ranks to combat.

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 01:38
the archers are great. im glad your running them with out a command section.
its nice to see them kill something important then shrug when chaos nights trample them to death.

DeathlessDraich
01-02-2007, 10:16
Very similar to one of my TK armies.
Just one observation:

Why bother giving The TG the Mirage Standard when it is more likely that the enemy will target the weaker Skellies?

greendan
01-02-2007, 14:52
yeah i usually run them with the undying legion banner
i think ill go back
though i find most of the shooting goes towards the tomb guard as this is where the king sits and people dont want a full unit with king in combat with them.
the mirage seems decent enough though, as the less models i lose the better chance i have of winning combat.
.my priest's can heal the guard while in combat.
but again the banner also makes for more magic for the enemy to dispel.

id be interested to see what set up the people who posted generally run if they want it to be a close/competitive match.

dominic_carrillo
01-02-2007, 20:19
i play the Icon of the sacred eye on the tomb gaurd. and have the TK join the unit.