PDA

View Full Version : Tah Orc/k effekt

Gutlord Grom
30-01-2007, 21:20
Why are ork/cs so popular?
For some reason, out of all the armies in the games, ork/cs and their kin seem to be incredibly popular. Almost every time someone asks for help finding a new army, ork/cs are suggested.And everyone seems to love or at least feel fond of ork/cs, even if theu don't play them.
Why is this?

sigur
30-01-2007, 21:48
Because Orks/Orcs are the most human of all those armies. Also, they're much of a "Boy's race". They are brutish, they know what to do, they do it AND they are successful. They have fun, they are fun, they give players many fun opportunities, yet they aren't "the comic relief race". They have lots and lots of character and an incredibly rich history. They aren't as dead-serious as other armies seem to be and which many people like about them in GW's main systems which pretend to be "tournament systems". By caricaturing our behavior, our wishes and nature, they make it easy for us to identify with them.

Tastyfish
30-01-2007, 22:22
Instantly recognisable fantasy archetype, but easier to play than elves. Also an evil army so if someone has already started with one of the good races they make a suitable opponent - good has more traditional archetypes (Humans, Elves and Dwarfs) and evil doesn't care anyway.

cailus
31-01-2007, 02:45
Yet in spite of their internet popularity I have only ever met 3 other Ork players in 10 years of 40K.

machine_recovered_meat
31-01-2007, 12:18
From the 40k modelling aspect, the scope that Orks have is limitless.
Looted vehicles, meks, mad doktorz and bioniks, squigs, grotz and so on.

The background stuff, especially the Orky perspective & writing style - the spelling and the ethos, is excellent.

nanktank
04-02-2007, 07:50
I cant think of any army better than ork's/orc's I have both and I get an enourmous amount of fun from them. The modelling possibilities are limitless, and at least in Australia, there aren't a lot of them at tourney's so people look foward to playing against you, and the games themselves are enjoyable because they are so unpredictable. I have a lot of fun with my armies