PDA

View Full Version : "Historically Accurate" Empire a Viable Option

RdDragon5
31-01-2007, 02:18
I got thinking about Warhammer "fantasy" the other day, and remembering comments made about how you're average medieval army didn't include things like handgunners, or hellbaster volley guns, with a peasant heavy Bretonnia more representative of a 10th century medieval army. Thinking about this I was reminded there was a time when black power weaponry was in its early stages and knights still made lance charges. This type of army was around in the 16th century and was split into 3 main parts that played a rock, paper, sissors role on the battle field.

One such unit was that of heavy cavalry. These heavily armour knights with long laces could run down units of gunners, and bowmen, and protect their own sides missile troops.

The answer to this charge was the heavy use of pikemen forming up in large units to take the charges of nights, and protect the missile troops from getting charged. (These would have to be bought as regiments of renown taking up special slots, or regular dogs of war pikemen taking up rare slots)

Finally to shoot at and take out these large units of pikemen "shot" was used, most often taking the form of handgunners.

To a lesser extent there were also things like cannons, and pistoliers. Cannons could play blowling for pikement, and the pistoliers were fast enough to harass the heavier cavalry.

What does this all have to do with Warhammer. Well the first thing that should come to mind is the Empire army list. What I'm asking you kind folk of Warseer, is an army based off the units I talked about a sound army idea in Warhammer as it was historically?

Gen.Steiner
31-01-2007, 02:19
Yes.

I'm building a force like that at the moment. Pike and Shotte - check my sig for a link. :p

RdDragon5
31-01-2007, 17:13
I was kind of hoping for more then "Yes", and not just one persons opinion (no offence Gen. Steiner).

Steel_Legion
31-01-2007, 17:19
I am doing a Holy Roman Empire army similar to this, though maybe few handguns, it will have Pikemen, Helberds, Heavy Cav and Infantry, so kind of accurate to an extent

Gen.Steiner
31-01-2007, 20:58
Well, to be fair, the question really is a 'yes' or 'no' one - the renaissance pike and shot tactics which developed (eventually) into the adoption of musket to the exclusion of all other infantry weapons are just as effective in the WFB world as they are in reality.

The main thing to watch out for is that the pikemen are very points-expensive and you need blocks of 25 at minimum.

Ideally, three blocks of 25 pike plus two of 20 spear and as many handgunners and crossbows as you can fit makes a good stab at the pike & shot army. Bung in a few Dopplesoldner (halberdiers and zwei-hander greatswords) and a unit of cavalry if you can.

Crazy Harborc
01-02-2007, 01:37
Been there and did that during the last half of 6th. Still got the pikes, some I converted from GW Empire spears, the rest are um "outisder minies":eek: Got even more handgunners since then. I also got some extra unarmoured warhorses to slip under some Empire knights. Gave them some old round shields. Added a couple of HE Silverhelms (with Empire knight's heads).

Had some good battles, kicked some b***. Got a feeling before this years is out, at least ONE long time opponent and I will be trying ECW. My 20 pistolier outriders came yesterday.

Toppan
01-02-2007, 02:25
wait did you just censor butt?

RdDragon5
01-02-2007, 03:09
Shh Toppan, no bad words allowed!