PDA

View Full Version : Escher Gang - thoughts?

Galdur Hrafnsson
31-01-2007, 03:35
Hey guys!

I hope to start running a Necromunda campaign in the store I work at in march. Mostly I'll be doing the GM thing, enforcing and all that, but it'd be nice to have my own little gang to have the odd fight with. Especially since some of the other staff are already thinking of getting gangs too.

Anyway, here's what I worked out tonight, haven't played Necro in lord knows how many years, and wanted some opinions.

Leader: chainsword, autopistol (155)
Heavy: heavy stubber, laspistol (195)
Heavy: flamer, laspistol (115)
Ganger: sword, autopistol (75)
Ganger: lasgun (75)
Ganger: Lasgun (75)
Ganger: Autogun (70)
Juve: Autopistol (40)

I figured I didn't want to arm anyone too heavily before the first game, in case they died and I lost a lot more weapons than I wanted to. Also, I plan on limiting auto/las/shotguns to max 3 of each for starting gangs, so as to avoid the imperial guard squad syndrome. Because that's really not balanced and I'd hate to have to kick people's arses for being spoilsports. Anyway, I also went slightly towards shooting to start with, because I figure I'll have more of a chance this way, I can support the combat-oriented aspects of the gang better until they're good enough to fight without too much help.

Anyway, that's about it, I'm rather sleepy now as it's half 3 in the morning. I just wanted to see what people thought and their opinions. Thanks very much :)

Vattendroppe
31-01-2007, 06:35
Limiting las is a VERY good idea, we just started a new campaign and limited las to 3 guns/3 pistols and it works really nice!

And about the gang, the list is not really as important in necro as it is in other figure games, as your gang evolves much during the first games and you roll a dice for most of the uppgrades and stuff, but I guess you rembemer that.

But the idea of a shooting gang from start is a good idea, much safer for everyone.

Catferret
31-01-2007, 13:13
I would really recommend finding the creds to upgrade your first Heavy's pistol to a rifle. You will most likely be sitting quite far back with a Stubber and if it runs out of ammo, the backup pistol will be so far out of range it's not funny!

Otherwise I think you have a decent looking gang there. There is a good mix of close combat and long range in your gang. Needs Shotguns though!:D

Vattendroppe
31-01-2007, 17:21
Naah, I've played many funny gangs without shotguns :P
But we also use rules for throwing grenades at spots and I've got a lot of grenades...

Quin 242
31-01-2007, 17:42
Why limit Las? It's the most reliable tech out there. Why would anyone want to worry about ammo when they don't have to?

Vattendroppe
31-01-2007, 17:48
The limiting of las isn't mostly beqause of fluff-wise reasons. Just that 5 creds more for 2+ ammoroll and -1 armour doesn't make sense. The autogun would be out in no time! The limitation to 3 is in a way to repressent that they're harder to get a hand on and stabilizes game balance significally.

Lord Humongous
31-01-2007, 20:57
Looks like a decent starting gang. You have 90 creds left, so another ganger or a hired gun (or both!) should be worth adding. For an Escher gang, another ganger with sword / autopistol would probably pay off down the road. Or a ganger with a shotgun, always handy. Ratskin Scouts are nice for starting gangs; picking up an extra territory early in a gangs development really helps.

Darkhorse
31-01-2007, 21:26
Pretty standard starting gang, one thing does stand out though;
Leader with an autopistol... May I recomend a Plasma Pistol (as weilded by House Ulanti's best loved psycho-bitch)? A little inaccurate at long range but at BS4 not a bad weapon.

Galdur Hrafnsson
31-01-2007, 21:56
I'll swap the pistol for a rifle on the heavy. Cheers. I really don't want to see insanely las-heavy gangs, it would suck and it takes some of the fun out of it. "Hey look, I rolled a six to hit! Ammo roll! *rolls* Oh look, I passed..."

I'll probably take a ratskin with my remaining creds, I want to have a good few creds to spare though since, knowing my luck, I'll need to replace people pretty early!

I'll probably swap out a couple of las/autoguns for shotguns after the first game or two, when my cc gangers have had chance enough to get a skill or two, so covering them is slightly less of a worry, and I can concentrate on getting close and killing my opponents to death!

Catferret
01-02-2007, 00:43
I'll probably take a ratskin with my remaining creds, I want to have a good few creds to spare though since, knowing my luck, I'll need to replace people pretty early!

A good idea but surely having more people to start with is better? You may not suffer any losses and you will still have plenty people to work territory. Also more people in a firefight will mean you are less likely to lose models bexcause you can pin more opponents hopefully.

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 02:23
Curses, you have a point.

Okay, this is the current list. I have 15 creds left over, and will most likely take a ratskin, since he sounds like quite a bargain for 15 points.

Leader: chainsword, autopistol (155)
Heavy: heavy stubber, Autogun (200)
Heavy: flamer, laspistol (115)
Ganger: sword, autopistol (75)
Juve: Stub Gun (35)

I figure the juve can have a stub gun and put up with it! If she survives the first game, I'll give her a slightly nicer weapon. Also to belatedly answer the question as to why my leader doesn't get a plasma gun... If I need to shoot with her, I'm not totally sure I want to waste a turn recharging it. Especially with my dice rolling! So for now she can have an autopistol. They get nice new toys when they've earned them!

Catferret
01-02-2007, 02:31
Looking good now. I can heartily recommend a Ratskin for those 15 creds. The modifier to the Scenario Roll is great as ewell as the chance to get free territory if you win your games.

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 02:36
Awesome. He's on there!

Hmmmm. It says his value for purposes of gang rating is 75. Now, this may be a stupid question, but I haven't played in a long time so humour me. Do I put that in the Cost column, and say, put a line through the exp?

Catferret
01-02-2007, 02:48
I tend to put 15 in cost and 60 in xp but your way works out the same.

Lord Humongous
01-02-2007, 03:11
I know I encouraged adding a person, but I'd drop that juve with a stub gun. She's putting you up in a higher income bracket, which means you earn 10-15 creds less per game. Is she really worth 10-15 creds per game, even the ones she doesn't show up for? You could spend that same cash on a much more talented hired gun and not have to pay them for fights where you don't use them. Or you could just pocket the change. Having 6 gangers and only 1 juve is actually a pretty nice setup...
You might consider a bolt pistol for your leader. It's one of the best weapons in the game, IMO.

Catferret
01-02-2007, 03:13
The Juve is model 11. That isn't an extra income bracket (still 10-12).

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 03:23
Exactly. I looked at the income list right after creating the original list, and slapped my forehead. So number 11 doesn't really cripple me, since to be in a lower bracket I'd have to drop a ganger (or heavy), too. Besides, she'll be a ganger soon enough, or dead. So I'll either have to give her better weapons, or get a new juve.

EDIT: Also, like I say, they get better weapons if they do well. That goes for my leader, too ;) It'll probably be a bolt pistol I upgrade her to, give the autopistol to number 11 and give the stub gun to any new juvie I get in the gang. A one-in-a-million bolt pistol would be lovely, mind.

Catferret
01-02-2007, 03:26
Depending on which territories you roll up, 11 models may not cause income issues. I am running at around 12 models just now and still earning enough creds to get by. I would have more if I had less models and wasn't paying 15 creds per game for a Ratskin, but that is the price you pay for outnumbering your opponent and overwhelming them with weight of fire.

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 03:28
Exactly! I could go the tooled-up route and take 9 girls, but to be honest, if they wait a game or two I could tool them up anyways. This way I've got more bodies in the game and more experience being accrued.

Catferret
01-02-2007, 03:30
Juves can really rack up advances early on compared to your Gangers. And by the time they become Gangers themselves, they will have accrued an extra advance! Pretty useful really.

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 03:48
All this talk of Necromunda makes me want to play. Now. But not only is it nearly 4am, but I've got a lecture tomorrow, I have Dark Angels arriving, and I can't even just go into work and order some Escher because the shop's being bloody refitted!

Gah. Anyway, cheers for the advice everyone, I hope to be putting them together in a couple of weeks, and I'll have to post pics. I'm thinking of giving them white and pink clothing, but I think that's because one of my housemates likes pink things (and girls' jeans... yes, he has a girlfriend). To be honest, it's either pink, purple or yellow, and since I've never really painted pink, I might just have to.

Next I've gotta read the rules for, and sort out, an enforcer precinct! And then house rules and events for the campaign. Yay!

Weregerbil
01-02-2007, 21:56
Juves can really rack up advances early on compared to your Gangers. And by the time they become Gangers themselves, they will have accrued an extra advance! Pretty useful really.

Oh yeah one of my juves got 5 rolls after the first game this week.

Palatine Katinka
01-02-2007, 22:41
I'd recommend ditching the pistol on the Heavy with the Flamer in favour of a basic weapon so you have something to shoot as you close in. Or something to shoot at things you don't want to be close to? An Autogun isn't that much more expensive. Other than that, looks cool.

Galdur Hrafnsson
01-02-2007, 22:47
I would if I had the creds spare! I'll grab a basic weapon for the flamer heavy after the first game, or swap it from one of the others. Cheers though :)

Darkhorse
02-02-2007, 11:33
On the all lasgun issue;
I think it is charcterful in certain gangs, eg. Cawdor, after all the flashlight is something you associate with the Imperium.
I'd still grab the Plasma pistol for the leader, I just have this feeling that you aren't making best use of her abilities with an autopistol, (besides you can stick the auto on a Juve!)...

In the campaign I'm in I haven't lost anyone yet, and the gang has risen from it's original 9 to 11. though I probably have been rather lucky, other gangs haven't been so fortunate. 2 Heavies died after the first fights, I've averaged 1 kill a game and 2 leaders dropped dead last round (Sometimes you have to feel sorry for the zombie horde, I mean Scavvies, who are now attempting to get by with a top Ld of 7. Then again you think about all the creds you could make from a Raid..)
Then you have the Goliath gang which either has a serious problem with friendly fire or has started a civil war, the leader having notched up 3 kills from his own ranks... I seriously need a medic in my gang, the problem with luck is it runs out.

Catferret
02-02-2007, 13:49
Autopistols on Leaders are surprisingly good. My Leader has achieved more with his Autopistol than his Shotgun with loads of fancy ammo. Also, now he is down to BS3 he will probably need the +2 to hit at short range that a pistol provides even more than before.

Darkhorse
02-02-2007, 14:46
Autopistols on Leaders are surprisingly good. My Leader has achieved more with his Autopistol than his Shotgun with loads of fancy ammo. Also, now he is down to BS3 he will probably need the +2 to hit at short range that a pistol provides even more than before.

The plasma pistol is +2 at short range, long range -1 same as a laspistol but has a far better to wound roll.

Catferret
02-02-2007, 15:15
The Plasmapistol has a really short short range though. 6" is a real pain. It wouldn't be so bad if it had no modifier at long range. They are great in Raid scenarios at wrecking the objective and are also great against high Toughness or armoured models. I wouldn't start with one though. After a BS increase maybe.

You also need a 2nd pistol of some kind for when the Plasma is recharging. The range on low power is pitiful so you always ewant to be firing on Max Power if possible.

The concept of a Leader with Gunfighter and 4 Plasmapistols is tempting though...

Lord Humongous
02-02-2007, 15:29
If you like the autopistol on your leader, you'd LOVE a bolt pistol. I "upgraded" my leader from a bolt pistol to plasma (he had bs 5) and actually regretted it may times. (I know, I could take both...)

I'd recommend ditching the pistol on the Heavy with the Flamer in favour of a basic weapon so you have something to shoot as you close in. Or something to shoot at things you don't want to be close to? An Autogun isn't that much more expensive. Other than that, looks cool.

I wouldn't do that. I find that if I have a guy with a basic weapon and a flamer, I never do have him close in enough to use the flamer- I just take opportunity shots with the basic weapon.

Catferret
03-02-2007, 11:24
I agree with the Bolt Pistol thing. I am sorely tempted to swap my Leader's Auto for a Bolt. I just have concerns that he won't make it worthwhile now he is BS3. I'd rather save my creds for a Bionic Eye just now! I gave a Weaponsmith a Bolt Pistol because he has performed really well every game and deserves one as a status symbol.

Palatine Katinka
04-02-2007, 05:32
I find that if I have a guy with a basic weapon and a flamer, I never do have him close in enough to use the flamer- I just take opportunity shots with the basic weapon.

Would the solution then be not to take the flamer? ;)
I see your point though, if they can't shoot they'll have to get their short range weapons closer. Thinking back, I rarely see flamers do anything decent outside shoot-outs.

Silvereye
04-02-2007, 11:51
Flamers are also hell on wheels if you can use vents and/or tunnels to bring them into the fight close to your enemy.

They are also funny (at least for your opponents) when that particular individual gets enough leadership to challenge the leader....

Catferret
04-02-2007, 13:57
I think Flamers are cheap enough that you don't have to fire them. They make a great detterent!(Spelling?) Currently I am running up close with my rifle armed models and using numbers and the short range bonus to win firefights so I will probably buy a flamer after my next game.

Darkhorse
04-02-2007, 14:59
Hmmm. not sure about flamers have little effect, but then I go in shotgun heavy... First time I played Delaque I used the flamer guy as my leader. My regular opponent back then had a Redemptionist crusade as one of his gangs and in the current campaign the campaign arbitrator uses a flamer in his gang, (which caught 3 of my guys in the warm up game).

matthew_wakely
07-03-2007, 06:52
Yeah, Juves are really usefull even if only to come along and collect the D6 exp

Odin
28-03-2007, 16:33
I'm surprised to see an Escher gang with so much emphasis on shooting. I find with their skill sets it's best to have at least 50% of the gang geared for close combat.

Angelwing
28-03-2007, 16:45
i second odin. i've run many escher gangs down the years and find that 50% close combat is a minimum.