PDA

View Full Version : Assault termies sprue

Lion El Jason
05-04-2005, 12:43
OK, this is just from a guy on the mail order phone team so its very unconfirmed but I figured it'd be worth posting.

The sprue for the assault terminators is finalised and it will NOT have enough parts to make 5 of either type. The man I spoke to said there were enough arms in the box to have 5 Lightning Claw terminators but there were only 2 or 3 thunder hammers on it.

If true this wouldnt bother me too much, I'd rarely want a full squad of thunder hammers. It makes little sense though really, there'll be a lot less options on the sprue (Ie no heavy weapons, no chain fists etc...) so they should put 5 of each in the box if they charge the same for it.

Imbroglio
05-04-2005, 13:07
Hmm... it is possible, but it doesn't seem to follow the recent pattern in SM boxes of including as many options as can be fit on the sprue, though I suppose thunder hammers are relativly large.

-- Imbroglio

Darkblade
05-04-2005, 13:09
That'll still do me, i'd be more than happy with 5 lightning claws. You can't expect them to drop the price (well i didn't anyway). The models are flash enough for the "i want one, i want one, i want one!" factor. Any idea on the release date, or month?

Lion El Jason
05-04-2005, 13:15
Not from the guy I spoke to but I think its almost deffinate they're to be released along with the BT codex.

Asher
05-04-2005, 13:19
Didn't expect anything else. It is fine for me, as I won't use more than 3 Thunderhammer Terminators anyway. I guess the Stormshields are quite large and thus taking a lot of place. Is there any info on the Seargant Sprue? Any changes there?

Evilmerlin
05-04-2005, 13:24
I wonder if the LCs would be the new style ones(as seen in the Vet Squad) or still the same as the current Terminator LCs.

Odin
05-04-2005, 13:39
I wonder if the LCs would be the new style ones(as seen in the Vet Squad) or still the same as the current Terminator LCs.

I hope they're the old style (like the metal termies). Not a big fan of the "big knuckleduster" style.

Karhedron
05-04-2005, 14:08
Any idea on the release date, or month?
There was a Marine release schedule leaked some time back which had Assault Terminators down for a September release. I do not know if this is accurate (or even still valid) but if it is then it would it would suggest Black templars are being released between Lustria and Wood Elves. This makes sense as it will mean alternating stuff for Fantasy and 40K for most of the year.

Sgt John Keel
05-04-2005, 14:19
I hope they're the old style (like the metal termies). Not a big fan of the "big knuckleduster" style.

Engle/Engel said they would most likely be the old style.

/Adrian

charlie_c67
05-04-2005, 14:44
Where is Engel? Haven't seen him give his knowing messages recently.

Back on topic, is there any advantage to taking 5 thunder hammers anyway? Besides, you can always take Lysander as an assault Termi sergeant...

Evilmerlin
05-04-2005, 15:05
I too prefer the old style LCs to the newer ones. Hopefully that will be the case and we'll hear more about it in the next few months!

charlie_c67
05-04-2005, 15:48
I think the new ones work fine on power armour but the old school ones will be used for termis. Something to differentiate the two a little.

Darkblade
05-04-2005, 16:01
I think the new ones work fine on power armour but the old school ones will be used for termis. Something to differentiate the two a little.

I agree, but i like to convert all of my lightning claws to have a bit more length. They look so much more dangerous that way. :)

Hideous Loon
05-04-2005, 16:13
"Besides, you can always take Lysander as an assault Termi sergeant..."

That is what he was meant to be all along. On topic, I seriously like the new lightning claws, but not on termies. They are too big and bulky for such a slight weapon.

charlie_c67
05-04-2005, 16:25
That is what he was meant to be all along.

Err what? He's a Captain now. When he was a sergeant he had that bolter drill thing.

N'bel
05-04-2005, 16:41
I converted my lightning claws from a single big blade of the dozerblade, so instead of scratching things my Force Commander can decapitate people.

I also like the old style claws more then the new ones.

boogle
05-04-2005, 23:16
I'm hoping that Lysanders' Storm Shield was a tasteif things to come (so you really can't argue that you should be allowed to take something else in that hand, plus it will differentiate more between the Storm Shield and the Combat Shield if the Storm Shield is massive)

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2005, 23:26
I'm hoping that Lysanders' Storm Shield was a tasteif things to come (so you really can't argue that you should be allowed to take something else in that hand, plus it will differentiate more between the Storm Shield and the Combat Shield if the Storm Shield is massive)
I can't say as I've seen the new Assault Termies, but during my conversation with the sculptors last year they said that the plastic ones would be along the same lines as the regular Termie redux - Almost the same, just larger and more dynamic.

Expect the old style lightning claws, though obviously a little thinner and more plastic. The Thunderhammer I can see being more like Lysander's, without the Fist and eagle head. The storm shield I can't comment on, though I don't think it'll be the size of Lysanders.

I'll personally be using Combat shields on my Assault Terminator conversions, as it looks appropriate and a good size.

boogle
05-04-2005, 23:29
hmm, maybe, but one can hope fir really large shields can't one?

Lion El Jason
05-04-2005, 23:36
I think the shields will get bigger, the current storm shields are smaller than combat shields!

I doubt they'll be as big as Lysanders but bigger than the combat shield just seems...right.

I hope they keep them square in the shape of the terminator badge too.

The boyz
06-04-2005, 19:14
I too prefer the old style LCs to the newer ones.

Yeah I am not to keen on the new ones they look like little tooth picks :D

Takaratie
07-04-2005, 13:53
:( I love thunder hammers... never liked lighting claws, D#mn Bitch claws ;)

Takaratie

Lion El Jason
08-04-2005, 10:51
THs were always my fav in 2nd ed. In 4th though the rules dont even compare. A TH&SS terminator is basically like a SB&PF terminator who can't shoot.

Amas Nagol
08-04-2005, 14:20
Good lord I hope they are the 3 prong style claws......

charlie_c67
08-04-2005, 15:06
THs were always my fav in 2nd ed. In 4th though the rules dont even compare. A TH&SS terminator is basically like a SB&PF terminator who can't shoot.

...And has an extra invunerable save.

Lion El Jason
08-04-2005, 15:40
...And has an extra invunerable save.

Well, I did say basically...

TH&SS is a poor combination compared to SB&PF. The +1 inv save is there for the few times you need it but really the option is: to have a 4+ inv save or just have all lightning claws and kill the power weapon equipped unit before they get a chance to strike (Theres very few units that go on I6+ with power weapons; Banshees, Incubi....?) Against 90% of opponents the storm shield is useless.
The TH may as well be a power fist against 90% of your opponents.

So what Im saying is that 90% of the time you're better off with a storm bolter and power fist because you can shoot.

Lion El Jason
08-04-2005, 15:42
Good lord I hope they are the 3 prong style claws......

Like the harlequinn rive blades? Why on earth would you want that? 4 bladed claws have looked cool for the last two sets of models...

self biased
08-04-2005, 18:34
thunder hammers are better than average on vehicles with the added effect of "crew shaken," but also against monsters, multi-wound models, or basically anything that gets an invulnerable save. remember that any model wounded by a thunder hammer and not killed can't attack until after the thunder hammers swing again.

dash
09-04-2005, 03:33
actually i think the 4th ed thunder hammer rules were neutered self biased, no longer stopping attacks outright but rather doing something less effective...

langolas
09-04-2005, 04:03
I'm hoping beyond hope taht the weapons will be on a separate sprue, so you can order the plastic LC for easier conversion. I know it's a crack dream, but still :D

Inquisitor Engel
09-04-2005, 04:28
I'm hoping beyond hope taht the weapons will be on a separate sprue, so you can order the plastic LC for easier conversion. I know it's a crack dream, but still :DWell, the LC's and Thunderhammers are likely to go on the same sprue. The storm bolters and powerfists are. It's likely that Thunderhammers, the less popular option, won't actually have five per box, but Lightning claws, will. (Read LC's and the Storm Bolter Power Fists and Thunderhammers as the other options like Chain Fists)

You'll be able to order the Close Combat weapon sprue on its own though. Me, I'm waiting to see what I can do with my conversions :D

This guy also lets me know, despite the AWFUL beakie head, that the Combat Shield will work perfect as a storm shield. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/u.jpg

Hellebore
09-04-2005, 07:02
actually i think the 4th ed thunder hammer rules were neutered self biased, no longer stopping attacks outright but rather doing something less effective...

Thunder hammers now force anyone wounded byt not killed by them to strike at I 1, which means they strike simulataneously with the thunder hammers.

In assault squads I see the thunder hammers as a support weapon, the lightning claws clearing the way and the hammers laying the last smack down. Also when up against greater daemons et al the claws take all the hits and hammers get the strike back.

hellebore

Lion El Jason
09-04-2005, 10:30
Yeah, they are just backup weapons for an assault squad, in the old codex there were no uses for them at all, since you could have SB&PF termies in assault squads.

They do look mean though (And thats just the current ones!) whenever I put a squad of 5 Thunder Hammers down my opponent always looks at them with dread.

In my assault squads though I'll be using a sgt with thunder hammer but buying a power weapon instead of the almost useless storm shield. That will be three power weapon attacks (Same as the lightning claws) OR three Thunder Hammer attacks which should be enough for all the squads str8 needs. Its only 10 points too...

dash
11-04-2005, 01:13
yeah oops had them misalligned in my head, the thunder hammer rules that is, they aren't bad just toned down a tiny bit after all.

sounds to be, that according to what everyone is saying, that thunder hammers will take the place of assault cannon/flamer in arm sprue, becoming the heavy weapon alternative to standard kit..

philbrad2
11-04-2005, 01:57
Shield looks cool but that head is soooo wrong!

Might have my new Termi Chaplain finished in a day or two and get some pics of him over in the modelling forum.

:cool:

charlie_c67
11-04-2005, 10:37
Well, I did say basically...

TH&SS is a poor combination compared to SB&PF. The +1 inv save is there for the few times you need it but really the option is: to have a 4+ inv save or just have all lightning claws and kill the power weapon equipped unit before they get a chance to strike (Theres very few units that go on I6+ with power weapons; Banshees, Incubi....?) Against 90% of opponents the storm shield is useless.
The TH may as well be a power fist against 90% of your opponents.

So what Im saying is that 90% of the time you're better off with a storm bolter and power fist because you can shoot.

True, I guess it depends on how you use and deploy them in the end. If you're ever in the situation where you're caught in the open in front a lot of high power weapons you'd be glad of it. Can't remember if it help against power weapons in cc or not though. Anyone know?

Lion El Jason
12-04-2005, 11:31
Thats pretty much what it does, unless you're up against banshees (Which are just going to die if they charge terminators anyway) or incubi the SS are useless. They can be ok for taking out characters or MCs but usually your spending twice as much on the squad as they do on the character!

Because Storm Shields offer no extra protection against non power weapon troops they will never be a good choice.

Like I say they are cool though, they have a "Hard as nails" feel to them and they often scare opponents, even if they know they arent a great option.
Last time I set up a unit of 5 TH&SS terminators my opponent spent the whole game attempting to avoid them even though they were literally only as good in HtH as the SB&PF squad I had...

charlie_c67
12-04-2005, 11:55
If used properly that fear factor can cause many people to avoid them where possible giving you an advantage. Especially if they're an RT/2nd ed vet and can remember how they used to be....

Brother Munro
12-04-2005, 14:37
Auto wound, -6 save mod (auto penetrate non termiantor-like armour), auto penetrate vehicles. (2nd ed). RT you could release the weapons charge in one go, template causing D6 wounds on every model hit (no saves) and D6 wounds on you... :D

risK
12-04-2005, 15:05
The one TH in an Assault Squad is my preffered choice against MCs and characters... more is a waist of arms that could else carry LCs

Lion El Jason
12-04-2005, 15:16
I agree risK, thats why I've come up with using the Sgt with the thunder hammer & storm shield and paying the 10 points for a power weapon. TH&PW gives the back up goodness of str 8 when you need it OR 3 power weapon attacks when you dont.

Lion El Jason
12-04-2005, 15:23
Auto wound, -6 save mod (auto penetrate non termiantor-like armour), auto penetrate vehicles. (2nd ed). RT you could release the weapons charge in one go, template causing D6 wounds on every model hit (no saves) and D6 wounds on you... :D

It was -5 save, the self destruct option was dropped half way through RT era, it was a 1" template doing D6xD6 wounds on the target and a normal Thunder hammer hit on everyone else!

In 2nd ed my best use for them was in my Dark Angels:
Azrael and a squad all with TH&SS and a std of retribution.
Even if the terminators lost (Or died!) they get 1 hit on the enemy, this auto wounds with -5 save and no field saves (Since all fields de-activated inside the lion helms field!). I never found anything this wouldn't kill...

self biased
12-04-2005, 21:39
Thunder hammers now force anyone wounded byt not killed by them to strike at I 1, which means they strike simulataneously with the thunder hammers.

check your marine codex. it says that those models may not attack again until after I1 blows are struck in the next assault phase.

Gregorus
12-04-2005, 22:18
check your marine codex. it says that those models may not attack again until after I1 blows are struck in the next assault phase.
NOT AGAIN!!
the rules quarry surfaces every time the TH is mentioned*grumble*
the GW really needs to look into how it describes its rules, really, the SM dex is out for, what, 6 months ind it allready needs some FAQ...
and the hellbore is right bout the rules, just like in the 3ed...

charlie_c67
12-04-2005, 23:32
IMHO I think CC was one thing 2nd ed got right. Not the vast array of weapons available perhaps, but the rolling off at the same time and having the ability to both kill each other at the same time!

Killgore
13-04-2005, 00:24
This is awfull news!

I don't want Lightning Claws... I want Thunder Hammer armed Termies, a nice big unit of 8 to fit inside my Land Raider C.....

Duymon
13-04-2005, 09:57
I was hoping for equal amounts of thunders and lightning claws in the assault sprues, but I guess space limitations prevented GW from being able to do so.

If the lightning claws end up being lightning fingernails like on the power-armor marines, I wonder how far away we'll be able to hear the cries of bloody murder :rolleyes:

Flame Boy
17-04-2005, 20:25

Yeah, I had one in my Termie squad once just in case someone tried to take a run at my assault-cannon toting termie... you wouldn't want to mess with that hammer-wielding beast, especially if you were a tank...

Shame that Thunder Hammers don't inflict a glancing hit when they strike a tank... :eek:

Then again, I was rather disappointed by the assault Terminators in Dawn of War... there should be a small explosion every time those hammers fell, but they were nothing compared to the commander's Deamonhammer... surely they could have had a hefty boom every time a thunder hammer discharged? :D

Anyway, I haven't played since 2nd edition, so being able to deep-strie without having to spend about 1/2 your points limit to allow Terminators to teleport will be a nice addition, even if they did curb multirole Termie squads... :(

charlie_c67
19-04-2005, 09:23
How's that a problem? For shooty termis teleport them somewhere behind the lines and empty your guns in the back of the enemy lines. For the assault Termis they're now good at taking and holding.

Firsanthalas
19-04-2005, 12:55
Another problem with Storm shields/Thunder Hammers vs LCs is you have one less attack. The Storm shield doesnt count as an extra ccw. I think it should. After all, you can bash someone with a shield and bashing someone with a shield that has a powerfield running through it has got to hurt (ouch). As it stands the Thunderhammer is really only suited to nasty characters/big nasty monsters and vehicles.

Lion El Jason
19-04-2005, 13:08
but then ther'd be no point for combat shields really...

boogle
19-04-2005, 15:03
true, but then you could make Combat Shields 'Power Armour Only' and Storm Shields 'Terminator Only', therefore each type of armour gets a shield