PDA

View Full Version : Converting Gothmog

The pestilent 1
31-01-2007, 15:28
Lord of the Balrogs one I mean.
Okay, So I've recently refound my muse, and I have been painting my Balrog (Again..) but he's nearing completion and while I could probably find something better to do with another 35, I feel like doing a conversion of our lord and master, Gothmog.

Thing is, how?
Black axe I think I could do pretty easily, but how would one go about lording up a being of shadow and flame? :confused:

Mars
31-01-2007, 16:17
Nightbringer might be an interesting example to simulate the shadow effect

maybe install a small smoke generator, and avoid playing under smoke detectors :D

basicly Balrog wearing a cloak?

schoolcormorant
31-01-2007, 16:50
i think he'd be bigger....
far more fiery and quite old, so a slightly ageing paintjob - i.e add some browns? 0try and GS some wavier flames or something off the back?

SC

hiveminion
31-01-2007, 17:58
If you're good with GS, why not sculpt additional horns to give some sort of "crown" effect, like some of those mutated goats from the Beastmen range...

And like Mars said maybe a cloak or some armour to bulk him out. And if you're really ambitious, you could even try to give him a more upright pose, so that he looks more lika an army commander. But that would be very difficult to achieve, I think.

Sounds like a challenge!

LOTRCROWN
31-01-2007, 19:11
awsome i would love to see this when its done

The pestilent 1
31-01-2007, 22:11
If you're good with GS, why not sculpt additional horns to give some sort of "crown" effect, like some of those mutated goats from the Beastmen range...

And like Mars said maybe a cloak or some armour to bulk him out. And if you're really ambitious, you could even try to give him a more upright pose, so that he looks more lika an army commander. But that would be very difficult to achieve, I think.

Sounds like a challenge!

Ahhh, now that I Like! :D
Hmm, possibly give him the same kind of hornage that Sauron and the Witch king have (Film wise) As they appear to be based upon Melkor's drawings, and with a bit of a stretch, could be a common theme for leftenants amongst the dark hosts.

Armour is another idea, Layered plate mail maybe?
Although a cloak doesn't sit quite right, Unless I could somehow simulate it to be made of shadow perhaps?
More flame is a definate too, although maing him upright would be a complete ****... I'll take a look at the Plastic model and give it a shot.

Intrepid Adventurer
01-02-2007, 07:44
I found this picture of Gothmog:

Basically, bigger and somehow less savage than the Balrog of Moria. Armour would be a bad idea I think, but more shadow sounds good.

Dat Wildboy
01-02-2007, 07:58
no, i think armour wouldn't be a bad idea. maybe an open faced helmet with holes for the horns and a nose-piece and something for his shoulders of forearms. bursting into flames of course.

The pestilent 1
01-02-2007, 13:15
I found this picture of Gothmog:

Basically, bigger and somehow less savage than the Balrog of Moria. Armour would be a bad idea I think, but more shadow sounds good.

As thats Glorfindal, I would say it's the Balrog he killed and not Gothmog?

(Taken from the Wiki, as I'm unsure of where my Silmarillion is at the mo)

...ambushed by a company of Orcs led by a terrible Balrog, Glorfindel leaps at the demon with all his might and battles him atop a rocky pinnacle. The duel rages as the rest can only watch in horror. Fiercely defending the women and children who are being led out of the hills, Glorfindel drives the Balrog back, hewing off its whip-wielding arm at the elbow. Just when it seems the struggle is about to be won, the beast grabs Glorfindel's golden hair from under his helm, and both fall off the peak. As they plummet, Glorfindel strikes a final blow by stabbing the demon in its stomach with a knife.

Intrepid Adventurer
01-02-2007, 13:43
You're right, Ecthelion slays Gothmog. My bad. (:

The pestilent 1
01-02-2007, 14:03
No Problems. :)

I was thinking of just giving him a helm and some shoulder pads, although now that you mention it a bracer might be an idea.