PDA

View Full Version : Best Chaos Mark for....

paspinall
31-01-2007, 20:24
Right guys, I am making a list up for a VERY large Chaos army, the idea is there is a substantial chunk of Undivided (around 4000 points) and then 2000 points for each god, now the individual blocks are all going to be viable lists on their own but of course they must also all be able to fight together under an undivided General.

Its a mortal army so Daemons etc are specials and I am taking a few beat units,

so my questions are thus: What are the best marks (ie which chunk of the army should get)

Chosen Chaos Warriors

Chosen Chaos Knights

Minotaurs (only using 1 unit I think but this MAY change)

Beastigors

superduperkoopatrooper
31-01-2007, 20:34
Hi, sorry to be boring but i just thought i'd point out that only one unit of minotaurs may have a mark and this must be the same as the general's. As for knights and warriors, i'd say tzeentch is the weakest mark as you become very susceptible to psychology but all the rest are pretty decent.

Mazdug
31-01-2007, 20:41
Well, I have always been a fan of Chosen Warriors of Slaanesh with Great Weapons and the Rapturous Standard is a pretty scary combo.
The minotaurs almost certainly should get the mark of nurgle, since with their light armour, that gives them like a 4+ armour save, which is much better then the other option in my oppionion.
The Chosen Knights could go with any army, but I would probably give them the mark of Khorne, since that will increase their chance of getting off the charge, and there isn't much scarier then chosen knights making 3 strength 5 attacks on the charge.
Are you planning on including any bestigors? those are another markable 0-1 choice.

Mazdug
31-01-2007, 20:43
Hi, sorry to be boring but i just thought i'd point out that only one unit of minotaurs may have a mark and this must be the same as the general's. As for knights and warriors, i'd say tzeentch is the weakest mark as you become very susceptible to psychology but all the rest are pretty decent.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that if the armies general has the mark of chaos undivided, units in his army may have any mark they want, and characters in his army may only have a mark if there is a unit with the same mark in the army.

paspinall
31-01-2007, 23:02
Just found out my book and checked (I hadnt really looked at it much yet) turns out its neither option LOL, yes Minotaurs must have the same mark as the General, so they wont be getting any. However any number of Minotaur units can take the mark.

I Am taking Bestigors, these can take any mark (doesnt matter about the general) so which should I use here?

On a further note, is it worth giving a Shaggoth a mark? Unfortunatly if I did he would have to go in the Undivided list as the others can only take a single Lord, each of which I will be using. this would break the theme so I would likely only go for it if its really worth it, in which case i may include a single /character unit for each god in the Unidivided list.

Mazdug
31-01-2007, 23:08
If I recall correctly, there is no stat gain whatsoever for a shaggoth lord, only the option to take a mark of chaos, and since your general is undivided, the mark isn't going to make a huge difference.

edit: Oh, and again, I prefer the mark of slaanesh for bestigors. Its not that expensive, an it stops you from running away on your shoddy leadership when fighting zombies or another of your lower leadership units panics through you. The only downside is the inability to flee as a charge response, but really, its not like they're fast cav, it doesn't come up that much.

paspinall
31-01-2007, 23:12
Just looking, there is a gain for the Shaggoth

For Tzeentch and Khorne its the same as a hero, for Nurgle increased wound count and for Slaanesh they strike first.

But as I say I;m not sure if any of these are worth it.

Mazdug
31-01-2007, 23:50
Yes, but the only gain is a mark of chaos, as I said, which isn't all that useful if your shaggoth is going to be undivided. A shaggoth of slaanesh has a good deal going for it, since going first is always great, and you don't have to worry about it charging bait units the way a khornate shaggoth would. A shaggoth that rolls orange fire of tzeentch would be very very scary, and even otherwise, its large target status would let it see over other units with its magic missile spells, which would be nice. I dunno if the extra wound for nurgle is really worth the points (atleast in my oppinion).

Voltaire
01-02-2007, 00:02
With the mark of Nurgle and Light armour it is possible to give you Minotaurs a 4+ save - not something to be sniffed at!

Hywel
01-02-2007, 00:13
Provided you're not a tactical flump, khorne really have to be considered the best. If you know how to avoid the worst of frenzy you're essentially looking at doubled attacks on most units, immunity to psychology and a dispel die...

If you don't like frenzy then it's probably slaanesh. Cheap and useful. Though on bestigor specifically, nurgle's fear is rather handy.

paspinall
01-02-2007, 10:31
I'm considering the following:

Chosen Knights: Khorne
Chosen Warriors: Slaanesh
Bestigors: Nurgle

Both Shaggoth and Minotaurs will have to be Undivided

Havent got a 'none common' group to give Tzeentch *shrugs* ont know that it makes a hell of a difference though as I imagine that army will be smaller anyway !