PDA

View Full Version : dark eldar ot the new codex on the block?

psykochiken
31-01-2007, 23:57
SO I am preparing for my second army, after a long process, i have narowed it down to dark eldar, and ravenwing.

These two armies both have a ridiculous amount of mobility, coupled with cc and shooting power. Both armies are also fragile. Can dark eldar be effective with a bit of practice, or should i get more marines? I am reasonably competent, although lacking experience.

thanks all!

p.s. feel free to extroll the virtues of DE, i am shaky on fluff and rules

Tymell
01-02-2007, 00:09
Dark Eldar can be very rewarding, but they do indeed need practice and patience. The trouble with them is not so much an ineffective list, but more that some of the units are very effective, and others are near-useless.

Good units: Lord, Incubi, Wyches, Warriors, Raiders, Ravagers, Jetbikes and sometimes Talos

Lesser units: Haemonculi, Mandrakes, Grotesques, Warp Beasts, Hellions.

Most would also say Scourges are in the bad list, though personally I like them. Haemonculi aren't really worth using up an HQ slot, Mandrakes just won't do much damage due to poor stats and rules, Warp Beasts have a small unit and low survivability, and Hellions just plain won't do much damage.

Most of the good units (Incubi, Wyches, Jetbikes) are very useful if they can be gotten into combat quickly, and small Warrior units with heavy weapons can provide you with some very good anti-tank firepower, as can Ravagers and the Raiders too.

Of course, I'm not slating Ravenwing either: with the DA codex just around the corner, they will be receiving a lot of attention for a bit, something Dark Eldar haven't had for a long time and probably won't get for an equally long time to come.

There is a whole lot more to be said about both forces, and I've no doubt someone will, but right now I'm in a really upset mood, so I'll leave it at that.

THE KAPPTIN
01-02-2007, 00:59
I always like using new codexes rather than older ones, so if I were picking between the two I'd go for DA. I'm sure the new DA will be much more streamlined and easy to use than the DE codex, and will probably have a much better proportion of units that don't suck on the table.

Of course the biggest thing is always the models. I think the almost-released DA are way cooler than the DE. DE are sore for an update. If you like them I'd say wait a few years...

dneff23
01-02-2007, 01:34
Actually Haemonculi are pretty decent for the points. Plus you get 3 for one HQ slot.;)

toxic_wisdom
01-02-2007, 04:54
Actually Haemonculi are pretty decent for the points. Plus you get 3 for one HQ slot.;)

yeah, and if you use webway portals they are your best choice as carriers.

jansuza
01-02-2007, 06:03
I'm sure the new DA will be much more streamlined and easy to use than the DE codex

I don't think that's possible. The DE codex is extremely simple. It has a unit section and two pages of wargear. It doesn't get much simpler than that ;)

MysticTitan
01-02-2007, 08:23
I don't think that's possible. The DE codex is extremely simple. It has a unit section and two pages of wargear. It doesn't get much simpler than that ;)

TWO pages of wargear?!! :eek:
*buys DE codex*
:D
Hmm, I wonder if I can convert guardians into warriors...

Urien Rakath
01-02-2007, 08:51
Haemonculi are fairly decent w/ combat drugs. Give them a raider squad acting as a taxi and you got 3 first turn chargers! They are a bit fragile tho, so don't charge any terminators or CC-cabable squads.
What else would you take for the second HQ slot? A lord isn't worth it without a shadow field.

Autobot HQ
01-02-2007, 09:59
Take a shadow field then :D

Urien Rakath
01-02-2007, 10:11
Can't have more than 1.

Marinox
01-02-2007, 15:07
wow, 2 armies with similar game tactics and COMPLETELY different looks. i'd say go with whichever models suit you more. at this point i'd say go with ravenwing, the new models are absoutley beautiful (i might pick up the master of the RW myself just to paint him). you'll have an easier time getting bits to customize, a bran new book to use, and you'll get the hang of them a bit easier than with evil space elves.

on the other hand, i've played DE for ages now and i'm quite convinced they're the best army in the game. though my first 8 months - a year of playing them i didn't think so. if you go with DE, they're hard to find, difficult to paint, and probably the hardes army to learn to play well. but the eventual pay off is WELL worth it.

you might be better off waiting for the new book and models release though.

AUN'SHI
01-02-2007, 16:21
I don't really think the DE are a hard army to use. I mean from the fight Ive seen with them they usually win.

They are cheap and have gun that shoot alot. Their lord is nuts, and wyches get 4+ invulnerbale save in cc.

When I use to play them I feilded in 1000 pts I believe 4 units of warriors with raiders (I think thats the transport) and 2 or 3 ravagers I can't really remember and my lord on a jet bike with his deadly drugged up unit. So I had enough shooting having DL in each unit. and all my vehicles had DL also.

They are a crazy fast army. The only thing is the warriors are really their best unit they got. I'd say IMO if your going to use DE go warrior heavy cause they are nuts ws and be 4 I dont remember the point cost is it 8 or 9pts sorry the book is not on hand right now.

BUt you should choose based on what you like more not what is better. At least that WhaT I believe.

But hey what do I know I play Tau:)

For the Greater Good.

eldaran
01-02-2007, 17:24
If you want to go Dark Eldar, there was a thread on the virtues of DE before christmas, cant remember the name but if you look under Dark eldar and my screen name you will probaably find it...

Shrike30
01-02-2007, 17:32
I'd hold off on either purchase until the new 'dex/models come out. Army deals are always a nice discount, and in the case of the DE, getting a lot more plastics in the line (unless you really LIKE metal) and maybe a more robust list would be a nice improvement.

If you want to play a new army NOW, I'd say check out the DA codex, and go that way if you like it.